Serious fail: microSD stuck in SIM slot

OP cmstlist

18th June 2012, 07:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 481

3,122 posts
More
So I went on a cross border journey today to purchase a Springboard on craigslist at an excellent price.

I was very tired when I got home but wanted to tinker with it a bit before bed. I grabbed a microSD I had lying around and inserted it... straight into the SIM slot :(

I have been trying a few things but avoiding using anything metal because it might damage the SIM contacts. Part of the problem now is, the card got pushed past the metal SIM contacts, and now it won't fall out on its own because the contacts are in the way.

Any ideas on how to save the tablet without damaging the ability to use a SIM card? I don't mind if the SD card gets destroyed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to cmstlist For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2012, 08:17 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

23 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist

So I went on a cross border journey today to purchase a Springboard on craigslist at an excellent price.

I was very tired when I got home but wanted to tinker with it a bit before bed. I grabbed a microSD I had lying around and inserted it... straight into the SIM slot :(

I have been trying a few things but avoiding using anything metal because it might damage the SIM contacts. Part of the problem now is, the card got pushed past the metal SIM contacts, and now it won't fall out on its own because the contacts are in the way.

Any ideas on how to save the tablet without damaging the ability to use a SIM card? I don't mind if the SD card gets destroyed.

Same thing happened to me. I solved the problem with a needle. :)

Sent from my Huawei MediaPad
18th June 2012, 08:39 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vancouver

3,122 posts
More
What did you exactly do with the needle?

What I'm afraid of us that even if I do manage to coax it out, it could force one of the SIM contacts to bend backwards and snap. Then I'd really be boned.

There's a mall sort of on my way home from work that's full of Asian cell repair/unlock shops. Maybe one of them can help. For the price I paid (only $140 for tablet + leather case!) I don't mind forking out a bit more to protect it.

Worst case if it breaks I could see if T-Mobile can be charmed into doing a swap or sending it for repairs. It's just a hell of a haul for me to get out there - each way is an hour of driving time plus 30-60 minutes lining up for the border.

19th June 2012, 01:46 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vancouver

3,122 posts
More
I left it with a shop that repairs all sorts of obscure mobile devices - they said if they can get it out they'll charge $30. I figure that's better than ruining it myself!

19th June 2012, 11:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vancouver

3,122 posts
More
The shop said they had to disassemble it to get the card out, but didn't have to break any warranty seals or such. I will just call this a $30 lesson in humility...

7th July 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

97 posts
Serious fail here too.. I put an empty microsim converter in the slot and a SIM pin broke when I yanked it out. How did your repair go? Did they manage to open it up and get the SD card out?

I just removed the screws but couldn't get the back cover off
7th July 2012, 06:41 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vancouver

3,122 posts
More
They had to do a minor disassembly but it went well.

If you broke a contact, you should probably get very expert help.

24th July 2012, 09:48 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Same issue here. Micro card went down the slot, tried yanking it out and got overly aggressive and the SIM slot is pulled apart and the SIM connections are a mess I need a reliable shop that can take care of this issue for me. Any suggestions?

thx

Sent from my SpringBoard using xda premium
24th July 2012, 03:28 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vancouver

3,122 posts
More
It really depends on where you live. I was at least smart enough to stop when I realized that getting any more aggressive would damage the SIM slot.
24th July 2012, 10:35 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Nice snip. I guess I could just hot spot it from my ATT Galaxy Skyrocket, or use wifi. Yea I don't know what I was thinking to be honest.

But I would appreciate any information on this. If you know of a reliable source for the repair of these types of issues please let me know.

thanks

sj

Sent from my SpringBoard using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread