Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,758 Members 38,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Unable to root Wildfire S

Tip us?

hall.stefan@hotmail.com
Old
(Last edited by hall.stefan@hotmail.com; 25th April 2014 at 03:55 PM.) Reason: _
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q]Unable to root Wildfire S

Hi!

I have tried every guide i have been able to find how to root wildfire S but none is working for me. I have spend several days trying.
Latest guide I tried is this one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1342288

Everything works fine until step 6 when i get a notification about sleepsometime.exe not beeing compatible with 64 bits Windows. That should not be a problem i think but the problem is the command:

adb shell mount -o rw,remount rootfs /

The response I get when running that command is "mount: Operation not permitted".

After that I get a error when running adb shell chmod 755 /sbin. The error I get is Unable to chmod /sbin: Read-only file system
I am not a expert on Linux or Android but for me it sounds that I should be able to remount the filesystem as root after running zergRush but for me that is not the case
I also get error on step 8: "failed to copy 'busybox' to '/sbin/busybox': Permission denied"

The full output from temproot.BAT is:

C:\Android\HTC\temproot>temproot
*** HTC Wildfire S Temporary root ****
******** by wiseminosse 2011 **********
running step 1...
running step 2...
running step 3...
292 KB/s (23056 bytes in 0.077s)
running step 4...
running step 5...

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00016118[*] Scooting ...[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
running step 6...
Denna version av C:\Android\HTC\temproot\sleepsometime.exe är inte kompatibel med den version av Win
dows du använder. Kontrollera datorns systeminformation för att ta reda på om du behöver en 32- elle
r 64-bitarsversion (x86) av programmet. Kontakta därefter programvaruleverantören.
rm failed for -f, Read-only file system
mount: Operation not permitted
running step 7...
Unable to chmod /sbin: Read-only file system
running step 8...
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/sbin/busybox': Permission denied
Unfortunaly an error occurred on step 8.
C:\Android\HTC\temproot>

Information about my phone:
Model number: HTC Wildfire S A510e
Android version: 2.3.5
HTC Sense version: 2.1
Software number: 2.26.401.3
Kernel version: 2.6.35.10-g696f19b
Baseband version: 47.23e.35.3038H_7.57.39.10M
Build number: 2.26.401.3 CL362953 release-keys

When I boot to bootloader it says:
*** UNLOCKED ***
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0099
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7.57.39.10M
Feb 8 2012, 18:29:31

Anyone knows what to do? Any help is deeply appreciated!

aWFSuser
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Try the traditional method perhaps. Get a recovery, flash it through fastboot or the PG76100.zip method, then flash a superuser from the recovery.

hall.stefan@hotmail.com
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Not working

This time I followed the guide on androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s.html
I got black screen when I choosed recovery in hboot so I installed goo managare (as instructed) but that app closes with message "The application GooManager (process com.s0up.goomanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Any other suggestions?

aWFSuser
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall.stefan@hotmail.com View Post
This time I followed the guide on androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s.html
I got black screen when I choosed recovery in hboot so I installed goo managare (as instructed) but that app closes with message "The application GooManager (process com.s0up.goomanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Any other suggestions?
The problem is most probably because you have a 2012 Wildfire S (same as me). Try with the recovery here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2692158. Download it and flash the recovery in the same way as you did with clockworkmod one. Hope it will work as it does for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to aWFSuser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hall.stefan@hotmail.com
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default It worked! Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWFSuser View Post
The problem is most probably because you have a 2012 Wildfire S (same as me). Try with the recovery here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2692158. Download it and flash the recovery in the same way as you did with clockworkmod one. Hope it will work as it does for me.
It worked!!! Finally!!! I have been trying for days and finally I am root!
Thank you very much!!!

aWFSuser
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Thank you very much!!!
Fine then. Press the thanks if I helped

durgeshonmail
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thank you very much!!!
Dear Frnds..
I am a naive in these technology of rooting but can follow instruction. I too tried rooting my HTC wildfire s but unsuccessfull til now. The phone status is S-ON, and HBOOT version 1.09.009(sth like that). reading this I copied the recovery in the root of SDcard and fast boot through manually and through emulator but did not succeed. Please help me to root my phone. Have read so many threads but could not get my phone rooted. This thread is the latest hence I thought there is some hope.

Thanks in advance ..

aWFSuser
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by durgeshonmail View Post
Dear Frnds..
I am a naive in these technology of rooting but can follow instruction. I too tried rooting my HTC wildfire s but unsuccessfull til now. The phone status is S-ON, and HBOOT version 1.09.009(sth like that). reading this I copied the recovery in the root of SDcard and fast boot through manually and through emulator but did not succeed. Please help me to root my phone. Have read so many threads but could not get my phone rooted. This thread is the latest hence I thought there is some hope.

Thanks in advance ..
Have you unlocked your bootloader? If not go to htcdev.com and unlock it from there, only then you can flash a recovery.

durgeshonmail
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aWFSuser View Post
Have you unlocked your bootloader? If not go to htcdev.com and unlock it from there, only then you can flash a recovery.
I am now trying to unlock boot loader. is it possible though Ubuntu 12.10. I have dloaded ADT bundle for Linux, and downloaded RUU for my phone from HTC dev site.

but unable to follow whats next to do. have read some other older posts on the site but did not follow. Please guide. here are the details which I cud see on my phone
***Locked***
MArvel Pvt SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0099
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7.57.39.10M
Feb. 8.2012, 18:29:31

Thanks

aWFSuser
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by durgeshonmail View Post
I am now trying to unlock boot loader. is it possible though Ubuntu 12.10. I have dloaded ADT bundle for Linux, and downloaded RUU for my phone from HTC dev site.

but unable to follow whats next to do. have read some other older posts on the site but did not follow. Please guide. here are the details which I cud see on my phone
***Locked***
MArvel Pvt SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0099
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7.57.39.10M
Feb. 8.2012, 18:29:31

Thanks

You don't need to flash RUU as your HBOOT is already newer. Skip that step. Goto the next step where they ask you to enter the information from fastboot....In your phone go to bootloader (switch off, remove battery, connect battery again and power+volume down.) then to fastboot.
Enter the command shown on the website, copy paste it it the textbox. They should email you a file "Unlock_code.bin". Copy that to your home folder and enter the command from htcdev .

12.10 should work but you don't need ADT. You'll only need adb and fastboot. (sudo apt-get install adb fastboot). BTW off-topic you should consider upgrading to 14.04 as 12.10 is not supported anymore and 14.04 is actually great.