Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,730 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Back button not working when Ram is low (on stock ROM)

Tip us?

tomxii
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy [Q] Back button not working when Ram is low (on stock ROM)

Hey i m kinda new here. I searched as much as i could for my issue but didnt find a proper thread about it so please bear with me ^_^'
I have this really annoying issue with my Xperia SP (C5302) where my back button (next to the home button) doesnt respond at all at times especially when i m gaming or when ram is low and i m using apps such as Opera or FB. Using android 4.3 Updated to 12.1.a.1.201. I bought the phone recently it already had an older version of the 4.3 jellybean. This really feels like a ram management issue. The thing is when i press it there is animation and vibration but it doesnt do the work(which is going back). The home button works fine though.. Really weird dont know what to do.... Any help is appreciated

kassiss-x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomxii View Post
Hey i m kinda new here. I searched as much as i could for my issue but didnt find a proper thread about it so please bear with me ^_^'
I have this really annoying issue with my Xperia SP (C5302) where my back button (next to the home button) doesnt respond at all at times especially when i m gaming or when ram is low and i m using apps such as Opera or FB. Using android 4.3 Updated to 12.1.a.1.201. I bought the phone recently it already had an older version of the 4.3 jellybean. This really feels like a ram management issue. The thing is when i press it there is animation and vibration but it doesnt do the work(which is going back). The home button works fine though.. Really weird dont know what to do.... Any help is appreciated
Are you rooted ?Did you remove some bloatwares ?Or try to stop some unused apps in settings->apps->runnig

tomxii
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassiss-x View Post
Are you rooted ?Did you remove some bloatwares ?Or try to stop some unused apps in settings->apps->runnig
No not rooted everything at stock but yes i did disable some bloatware heres the list.. not sure if thats the reason..

Account Manager
Black Hole
Bubbles
Car mode
Chrome
Downloads
ebook town
email
Enhanced forest
Face Unlock
Facebook
Gmail
Google Play Games
Google Play Magazine
Google+
Magic Smoke Wallpaper
Maps
Market Feedback Agent
Movie Studio
News & Weather
Omusic149
Phase Beam
Sony Select
Talkback
Wikipedia extension
Xperia AppShare
Xperia Calender Sync
Xperia Friend's Music
Xperia Music Likes
Xperia Social Engine Photos
Xperia Social Engine Sharing
Xperia with facebook
Xperia with Twitter
Youtube Extension
Youtube Karaoke extension

Some other chinese apps since its imported from china -__-

kassiss-x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No not rooted everything at stock but yes i did disable some bloatware heres the list.. not sure if thats the reason..

Account Manager
Black Hole
Bubbles
Car mode
Chrome
Downloads
ebook town
email
Enhanced forest
Face Unlock
Facebook
Gmail
Google Play Games
Google Play Magazine
Google+
Magic Smoke Wallpaper
Maps
Market Feedback Agent
Movie Studio
News & Weather
Omusic149
Phase Beam
Sony Select
Talkback
Wikipedia extension
Xperia AppShare
Xperia Calender Sync
Xperia Friend's Music
Xperia Music Likes
Xperia Social Engine Photos
Xperia Social Engine Sharing
Xperia with facebook
Xperia with Twitter
Youtube Extension
Youtube Karaoke extension

Some other chinese apps since its imported from china -__-
Did you try to clear data of systemui in settings ?

tomxii
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassiss-x View Post
Did you try to clear data of systemui in settings ?
No I didnt touch the System UI.

kassiss-x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No I didnt touch the System UI.
try

mrjraider
Old
Thanks Meter 1993
This is a weird case. I have never encounterd a non working back button due to low ram. Sometimes it gets "stuck" but that fixes by itself pretty quick.. Happens with facebook most of the time tho..
Be nice to people!

I do not respond on techmail via the PM! Esspecially questions that can be found on the forum! Use search!

tomxii
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjraider View Post
This is a weird case. I have never encounterd a non working back button due to low ram. Sometimes it gets "stuck" but that fixes by itself pretty quick.. Happens with facebook most of the time tho..
I m not the only one... it is happening to other people but it is very rare. There are posts about it on Xperia care (talk.sonymobile.com) I cant post the links cause um a newbie here -_-

In any case should i do a factory reset? or is there any repairing options that i could try out? i really need this fixed.

mrhnet
Old
(Last edited by mrhnet; 28th May 2014 at 06:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 158
Yes, it happened to me when free ram goes very low e.g. Asphalt8; you can't exit with back button, had to press home.

Could be related to poor ram management (in our stock ROMs). Maybe some "service" is shutting down which is related to back button function.. idk. If you're getting this with Opera/FB means, quite poor ram management I think.. Maybe lot of bloatware is being run in the background eating ram?

Suggest:
*Just monitor the amount of free ram with CoolTool app (at Google play), to see whether it goes very low when it happens. Cooltool itself may shutdown due to low ram..
*Try Greenify app to hibernate apps, free more ram.
*See whether anything could be done to keep more free ram, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751559

Edit: saw your app list. I would ditch half of the list if rooted . Chrome and FB are the first to go :P

tomxii
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjraider View Post
Having another issue. This happened first today. I downloaded the game vector. The graphics were set to high on default and I played the game for 10 or so minutes. It worked fine. But when I exited my phone froze up. A black screen and than phone Rebooted. Man this is crazy! I'm worried if my phones damaged or not. Please can you say the reason for devices rebooting? The game didn't crash to home screen my device Rebooted while exiting. Is it a ram issue? Is it becuz it's set to the highest setting?