Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 43,320 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Running 4.3 ROMs with Safestrap 3.72?

Tip us?

zebra72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Running 4.3 ROMs with Safestrap 3.72?

Hi all,

I just bought a new i337 and it came with the NB1 bootloader, NB1 stock, and I followed all the steps to downgrade, etc and have SafeStrap 4.72 running it with a rooted NB1 stock firmware. However, there are some things I like about 4.3, and I would like to run SHOSTOCK (JellyBean version), but I know that I flashed a NB1 Kernel through ODIN as part of running the rooted NB1 stock. Do I have to start over and downgrade it back to MK2? Or is it as simple as just installing the SHOSTOCK for Safestrap in SafeStrap 4.72 even though in the SHOSTOCK thread they don't mention anything about 4.72, just 4.71. I guess I'm just concerned about the kernels not matching with the locked bootloader and all.

Thanks in advance for any help!

muniz_ri
Old
(Last edited by muniz_ri; 26th May 2014 at 09:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra72 View Post
Hi all,

I just bought a new i337 and it came with the NB1 bootloader, NB1 stock, and I followed all the steps to downgrade, etc and have SafeStrap 4.72 running it with a rooted NB1 stock firmware. However, there are some things I like about 4.3, and I would like to run SHOSTOCK (JellyBean version), but I know that I flashed a NB1 Kernel through ODIN as part of running the rooted NB1 stock. Do I have to start over and downgrade it back to MK2? Or is it as simple as just installing the SHOSTOCK for Safestrap in SafeStrap 4.72 even though in the SHOSTOCK thread they don't mention anything about 4.72, just 4.71. I guess I'm just concerned about the kernels not matching with the locked bootloader and all.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Safestrap v3.72 will mount on both 4.4 and 4.3 kernels. No need to switch back to v3.71.

zebra72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Safestrap v3.72 will mount on both 4.4 and 4.3 kernels. No need to switch back to v3.71.
Thanks for the quick response and answer.

Just a quick clarification, I cannot use Safestrap 3.71 anyway due to my phone having the NB1 bootloader, right? I thought v 3.71 was only for those on MK2 or below.

Thanks again for all your awesome work on finding workarounds for rooting NB1 phones and above!
The Following User Says Thank You to zebra72 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 887
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response and answer.

Just a quick clarification, I cannot use Safestrap 3.71 anyway due to my phone having the NB1 bootloader, right? I thought v 3.71 was only for those on MK2 or below.

Thanks again for all your awesome work on finding workarounds for rooting NB1 phones and above!
No the SS version has more to do with your kernel not the BL. You can theoretically flash a 4.3 ROM using SS 3.71 on your 4.4 BL. There are additional requirements like modules, etc that I won't get into.
The Following User Says Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zebra72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Well, I was trying to installing SHOStock 3.0- safestrap version today, and I kept getting the "cannot mount /system" in SafeStrap while installing. After rebooting a couple of times, I think I stupidly decided to do an advanced wipe of /system (among others). Do I have to go all the way back to stock NB1 (Original NB1), and then start the whole process to MK2->Root -> Safestrap all over again?

Thanks for any help!

Rhymey
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Well, I was trying to installing SHOStock 3.0- safestrap version today, and I kept getting the "cannot mount /system" in SafeStrap while installing. After rebooting a couple of times, I think I stupidly decided to do an advanced wipe of /system (among others). Do I have to go all the way back to stock NB1 (Original NB1), and then start the whole process to MK2->Root -> Safestrap all over again?

Thanks for any help!
Yup. Boot into download mode and start all over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhymey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 887
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Use the downgrade to MK2 file from this thread then root and install safestrap: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2692825
The Following User Says Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zebra72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Use the downgrade to MK2 file from this thread then root and install safestrap: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2692825
Thanks for all the quick replies. Just to recap, ODIN back to Stock NB1 (no need to uninstall the remnants of SafeStrap I have now?), Downgrade to MK2, Root, Safestrap.

Also, I'm not sure what I did wrong when I went from rooted Stock NB1 to try to flash SHOStock 3.0 (which was 4.3). I honestly wasn't paying attention to the messages, so maybe I had a unable to mount /system error then, but then I went to reboot it, just was blank. That's when I decided to be stupid and go to recovery to advanced wipe including /system. I guess now if I want to run SHOStock 3.0, or whatever ROM, I can just install it once I have Safestrap rather than installing the Rooted ROM and kernel, right?

Thanks again!

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 887
Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replies. Just to recap, ODIN back to Stock NB1 (no need to uninstall the remnants of SafeStrap I have now?), Downgrade to MK2, Root, Safestrap.

Also, I'm not sure what I did wrong when I went from rooted Stock NB1 to try to flash SHOStock 3.0 (which was 4.3). I honestly wasn't paying attention to the messages, so maybe I had a unable to mount /system error then, but then I went to reboot it, just was blank. That's when I decided to be stupid and go to recovery to advanced wipe including /system. I guess now if I want to run SHOStock 3.0, or whatever ROM, I can just install it once I have Safestrap rather than installing the Rooted ROM and kernel, right?

Thanks again!
No need to odin back to stock NB1, the downgrade file will get you back to a semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2 at which point you can root and install safestrap. From there go to the SHoStock thread for instructions on how to properly install that particular ROM.

zebra72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
No need to odin back to stock NB1, the downgrade file will get you back to a semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2 at which point you can root and install safestrap. From there go to the SHoStock thread for instructions on how to properly install that particular ROM.
Thanks again for the quick reply.

Just to clarify, I guess I'm really confused about what kernel I would have if I flash the downgrade file? Would it overwrite the NB1 kernel I flashed after I flashed the rooted stock NB1 in Safestrap? I noticed that in going to rooted stock NB1 (or NC1), you have to ODIN flash the kernel.

Thanks again.