FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Pre 4.4.4. Should I root or wait?

85 posts
Thanks Meter: 16
 
By redddog, Member on 25th June 2014, 04:25 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Just wondering...

I was about to go through the process when it ocurred to me that the update would be coming AT SOME POINT.

Is there any reason to wait?
 
 
25th June 2014, 10:04 PM |#2  
Member
Flag Quakertown, PA
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
I would, and did. To each his own. What do you have?
26th June 2014, 01:51 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenova

I would, and did. To each his own. What do you have?

You would and did what? Wait or root?

I have an old school, unrooted 32g Maxx with the last OTA installed (4.4).

Thanks.
26th June 2014, 01:54 PM |#4  
Member
Flag Quakertown, PA
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Root, for sure. If you're on 19.6.3, you will have to RSD the 19.5.3 image so you can achieve the permanent root with write protect off, then take the OTA up to 19.6.3.
26th June 2014, 11:58 PM |#5  
Cgordon17's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenova

Root, for sure. If you're on 19.6.3, you will have to RSD the 19.5.3 image so you can achieve the permanent root with write protect off, then take the OTA up to 19.6.3.

He is right. Root it because soon you wont have the chance too and will regret it.
27th June 2014, 01:05 AM |#6  
Member
Flag Quakertown, PA
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
I will add, that I started with 19.5.3 and achieved root with WP off. I have not tested the OTA using RSD to go from 19.6.3 back to 19.5.3. I only assume perhaps wrongfully, it will work. I have had no trouble restoring my now debloated stock image from SS. Had the Eclispe ROM in the stock slot, didn't care for it and went back to my image. Root access only tools are cool.
Last edited by rdenova; 27th June 2014 at 01:41 AM.
27th June 2014, 09:20 AM |#7  
Cgordon17's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenova

I will add, that I started with 19.5.3 and achieved root with WP off. I have not tested the OTA using RSD to go from 19.6.3 back to 19.5.3. I only assume perhaps wrongfully, it will work. I have had no trouble restoring my now debloated stock image from SS. Had the Eclispe ROM in the stock slot, didn't care for it and went back to my image. Root access only tools are cool.

So did you flash a rom? Sorry if I misread but I thought you had to have unlocked bootloader

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenova

I will add, that I started with 19.5.3 and achieved root with WP off. I have not tested the OTA using RSD to go from 19.6.3 back to 19.5.3. I only assume perhaps wrongfully, it will work. I have had no trouble restoring my now debloated stock image from SS. Had the Eclispe ROM in the stock slot, didn't care for it and went back to my image. Root access only tools are cool.

RSD lite will work that's what I had to do. It will take about 5-10 minutes and all of your data will be gone but its worth it. Just back everything up

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app
27th June 2014, 02:02 PM |#8  
Member
Flag Quakertown, PA
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgordon17

So did you flash a rom? Sorry if I misread but I thought you had to have unlocked bootloader

The unlocked bootloader will allow you to use AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod however -

Once you have permanent root with WP off - with SafeStrap installed you can backup your stock slot. I was looking around for ROMs for the Maxx and happened to find one for the stock slot, seems you can not install a ROM into any other slot as it just comes up with the belly up android bot. But an Eclipse ROM did install to the stock slot. It wasn't anything like CM and more resembled the stock ROM only somewhat modded. I just didn't care for it and restored my back up. I used ROMToolBox to uninstall the unwanted Verizon and Google stuff and made a new backup.

Bootloader remains locked. Everything works including wifi hotspot, cameras, etc...
Last edited by rdenova; 27th June 2014 at 04:03 PM.
27th June 2014, 02:14 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 461
 
More
"RSD lite will work that's what I had to do. It will take about 5-10 minutes and all of your data will be gone but its worth it. Just back everything up"


Just so you know, there is now a method out that allows you to go back to 19.5.3, root and return to 19.6.3 with full root and write protection off without losing data. I did it last night and everything worked, without losing any data.
27th June 2014, 07:40 PM |#10  
Cgordon17's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenova

The unlocked bootloader will allow you to use AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod however -

Once you have permanent root with WP off - with SafeStrap installed you can backup your stock slot. I was looking around for ROMs for the Maxx and happened to find one for the stock slot, seems you can not install a ROM into any other slot as it just comes up with the belly up android bot. But an Eclipse ROM did install to the stock slot. It wasn't anything like CM and more resembled the stock ROM only somewhat modded. I just didn't care for it and restored my back up. I used ROMToolBox to uninstall the unwanted Verizon and Google stuff and made a new backup.

Bootloader remains locked. Everything works including wifi hotspot, cameras, etc...

How did you get the WiFi hotspot to work? I think k I already have it after download that Verizon entitlement.apk file and changes some names around but what did you do?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app
27th June 2014, 07:47 PM |#11  
Member
Flag Quakertown, PA
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Using the Verizon one from stock 19.6.3. It just works as expected.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes