Samsung haptic feedback compared to everybody else

Search This thread

bkraptor

Jul 15, 2007
I found no other thread discussing this subject so I thought I'd ask if anyone else wondered why the Samsung vibration/haptic feedback feeling is so different to all the other manufacturers. I am not saying one haptic feedback style is bad and the other good, it is just different, but I have to admit that I prefer the Samsung vibration style.

To give an example, I migrated from a Galaxy S2 to a Nexus 4 and I immediately noticed the change in vibration style. On the S2 the vibration has a higher frequency, lower amplitude and shorter duration resulting in a distinct and precise feedback. On the N4 the vibration takes some time to ramp-up and the vibration has a lower frequency and higher amplitude (this is actually controlled via the kernel), which although it gives out a more powerful overall vibration, it feels that the vibration kick arrives too late due to the ramp-up duration.

So far I have tested this on the following phones:

Samsung-style vibration:
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
- Samsung Galaxy S5

Non-Samsung-style vibration:
- HTC One X
- HTC One M7
- LG Nexus 4
- LG Nexus 5 D821
- Sony Xperia Z1
- Sony Xperia Z2

I am trying to find out what makes the Samsung-style vibration different and unique, as both Samsung and the other manufacturers use the same linear oscillating vibrator motor. One thing I noticed is that all Samsung phones use a vibrator motor that is bound directly to the screen assembly, while the other manufacturers attach the vibrator motor to the back of the case or frame, which may impact the haptinc feedback you get in the finger touching the screen.

Another way to distinguish between the two vibration/haptic feedback styles that I have found is to place your phone on a flat surface (not your hand) and press the back button. On Samsung phones you will feel a distinct feedback in your finger, while on other phones you will not feel anything in your finger.

Does anyone know how we could replicate the Samsung-style haptic feedback on other phones?

Last edited:

gilikindie

Aug 5, 2011
wādi al-ḥiŷara
So, this is the first post I found about this topic, and I agree with that perception. In my opinion, the samsung haptic feedback makes them feel "sophisticated" because the delicacy, and the others feel like vibration from a game controller :p. I have a Z Ultra, which I have paid a good buck, but the vibration feels somewhat cheap... If the vibrators where the same I think is possible to do some tests and try to replicate the effect. I hope for dev attention here.