Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 38,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hope from Amazon???

Tip us?

purec0de
Old
(Last edited by purec0de; 3rd June 2014 at 03:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Hope from Amazon???

Hi Guys just thought i would share this here,
Basically i wrote a short email to Amazon explaining that i was frustrated with the lack of some core android features, google play store, maps, chrome (yes acknowledging sideloading) etc., wall paper settings, custom keyboards etc. and pointed out that, although it could be considered a conflict of interests to allow it, my phone has Google play store, Samsung app store AND Amazon app store...

the response i got, which granted could be interpreted many ways, i thought held a little hope for future versions of the Mojito OS/Android Skin and possible inclusion of google apps & play store etc.

maybe i'm clutching at straws, reading between the lines etc. (choose your own cliché ) but at least they didn't out of hand completely dismiss the notion:

FROM AMAZON:

Hello Dale,

Thank you for emailing Amazon.

After reviewing your email I would like to thank you for all your suggestions and requests regarding apps and features the kindle is missing from a normal android device. I feel these would be good things to have too.

Your comments have been sent to the business team and customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service and products we provide.

Please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about Kindle to kindle-feedback@amazon.co.uk. Each suggestion will be read and taken into consideration.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Warmest regards,
Anna G.
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy SII
HTC Hero
Nokia E71, Nokia E62
HTC Touch HD, Samsung U600
HTC Tytn II
Nokia 6280, Panasonic Z500
Motorola E1000, Panasonic GD87
Sony Ericsson P900
too many Nokias to mention, even Star Tac once upon a time
The Following User Says Thank You to purec0de For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ratbert90
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So you wrote them to explain you didn't like not having the Play store when you knew full well that it didn't have it to begin with? Am I reading that correctly?

purec0de
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Er... Not just that no... I didn't know there was no native maps application, and I didn't know I couldn't side load the play store... Nor did I know that rooting would be almost impossible on new devices.... My point being simply that Amazon may (or not) be bringing things like chrome, maps etc. Even if not the Google play store.

And why on earth the device won't allow something as basic as custom wallpapers is just odd... Even the wife's Ipad mini can do that

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy SII
HTC Hero
Nokia E71, Nokia E62
HTC Tytn II
Sony Ericsson P900

ratbert90
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by purec0de View Post
Er... Not just that no... I didn't know there was no native maps application, and I didn't know I couldn't side load the play store... Nor did I know that rooting would be almost impossible on new devices.... My point being simply that Amazon may (or not) be bringing things like chrome, maps etc. Even if not the Google play store.

And why on earth the device won't allow something as basic as custom wallpapers is just odd... Even the wife's Ipad mini can do that

So you bought the tablet without looking into any reviews or even a quick glance at the xda-forums? I'm confused, I know that some of the decisions are odd, but you bought the tablet without doing any research and then became miffed when the features weren't there.

purec0de
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I think you are being unnecessarily aggressive. I merely expressed polite frustration to Amazon... Some call this 'constructive feedback'... with some of the limitations that I may or may not have been aware of before I purchased. And my original post above was merely to share the positive response I received back from Amazon. As there was little else happening on this forum

Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy SII
HTC Hero
Nokia E71, Nokia E62
HTC Tytn II
Sony Ericsson P900
The Following User Says Thank You to purec0de For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Davey126
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by purec0de View Post
I think you are being unnecessarily aggressive. I merely expressed polite frustration to Amazon... Some call this 'constructive feedback'... with some of the limitations that I may or may not have been aware of before I purchased. And my original post above was merely to share the positive response I received back from Amazon. As there was little else happening on this forum

Ageeed. Not sure what ratbert90 was trying to accomplish. Thanks for sharing.

mjculross
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Here's what I sent to Amazon today (& ratbert90, before you go spewing off on me, clearly note that I am not objecting without knowledge [I was aware of most of the limitations that I listed, with the exception of the lack of OTG support & the ATT data download size restrictions], but rather I am suggesting that making changes could actually be to their benefit . . . they asked for feedback & I am giving my feedback as requested):

= = = = = = = = = = = = = begin feedback = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dear Sirs:

I own several Android-type devices and I enjoy the Android environment immensely.

As just one of my Android devices, I have owned my KFHDX since Christmas 2013. I like many things about it, such as the following:

Screen:

The size, resolution, and color clarity of the Kindle Fire HDX (specifically the 8.9" in my case) is phenomenal. This display is far & above anything available on any of my other Android devices.

Processor:

I find that my Kindle Fire HDX is much smoother to use than any of my other Android devices, so it is my preferred platform for videos, music, games, etc.

Memory:

I ordered my Kindle Fire 8.9" HDX with the maximum storage and I greatly enjoy the ability to download multiple movies at the same time, as well as my full music collection. This is very handy for when I make international business trips !!

However, having noted these positive qualities, there are also a few things that I really dislike & I beg your indulgence so that I can take a little of your time to elaborate on these as well.

Apps:

The collection of Android apps available through the Amazon Marketplace is very limited compared to those available through the Google play store. In addition, some of the Android apps that are available through the Amazon Marketplace are actually older versions that have been superseded. I personally believe that, in general, allowing Kindle Fire HDX owners to access the larger collection of Android apps available through the Google play store would serve to increase the number of Kindle Fire HDX devices sold. This would not impact Amazon's ability to continue to "sell apps", but rather it would simply allow an additional avenue for Kindle owners to obtain additional apps, which could very well lead to more Kindle Fire HDX owners in the long run. I would hope that Amazon would consider removing the restrictions on accessing the Google play store in the future.

ATT data limited download size:

I specifically ordered my Kindle Fire 8.9: HDX with ATT data service to allow me to use it around the world when I travel on business. This convenience is unnecessarily impeded by the ridiculously small restrictions on download sizes. Since I am paying for the data service, why shouldn't I be allowed to freely decide what I want to download & what I don't download, without any device imposed restrictions ?? I would hope that Amazon would consider removing these restrictions in the future.

Lack of Google Maps (may be related to the inability to access Google Play Store):

When I'm traveling outside the US, I very often find myself in need of navigation assistance. I have found that I personally prefer to use Google Maps for this purpose. Unfortunately, because of Amazon imposed restrictions, I have to resort to using one of my other lesser-capable Android devices for this task. My Kindle Fire 8.9" HDX would be ideal to use with its large clear display & ample processing power, but alas, I am prevented from doing so !! I would hope that Amazon would consider removing the restrictions on running Google Maps in the future.

Lack of OTG support:

I often make use of the OTG capability provided on many of my Android devices, however, I am specifically unable to do so with my Kindle Fire 8.9" HDX. I find the OTG capability to be very convenient for moving work-related files between devices using USB sticks, etc. I would hope that Amazon would consider enabling this OTG capability in the Kindle Fire HD in the future.

Thank you for reading and for allowing me to pass along these suggestions,

Mark J Culross

KD5RXT

= = = = = = = = = = = = = end feedback = = = = = = = = = = = = =

And here's the quick response that I received:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = begin response = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Hello,

First, thanks for your feedback about Kindle Fire HDX.

I'd like to thank you as well for your suggestions about some features that need to be improved and implemented on the device.

You have a very good suggestions that will improve our services and the Kindle experience for our customers.

Rest assured that I've passed this to our developers.

We definitely value your opinion and will continue to listen and respond to our customers' concerns. We will make every effort to evaluate the information you have provided, and try our level best to lead it to program changes or enhancements.

As soon as these features become available and fixed on Kindle Fire HDX, we will definitely let you know about it.

Thanks again for your feedback!

We're looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Mary Jo S.

Thank you.
Amazon.com

= = = = = = = = = = = = = end response = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Mark J Culross (KD5RXT)
mjculross@sbcglobal.net

Davey126
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Sadly this appears to be a generic response; I have seen simular postings elsewhere. That's no ding against Amazon front line reps who do a great job promptly responding to customer inquiries. But in the end it's a business decission - granting access to Google Play would be a huge set back for Amazon IMO. Of late I have noticed an increase in the number of apps and their currency in the Amazon store but it still lags far behind Google. As for mapping apps, most Kindle varients lack a GPS chip so navigation would be approximate at best. This would highlight a hardware limitation which Amazon is unlikely to do.

I agree with most your other comments. After sideloading a few key apps I use my HDX far more than my other Android devices.

icedtrip
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbert90 View Post
So you bought the tablet without looking into any reviews or even a quick glance at the xda-forums? I'm confused, I know that some of the decisions are odd, but you bought the tablet without doing any research and then became miffed when the features weren't there.
Ever heard of an impulse purchase? Normally I am a research king before buying anything, but I too did what the OP did. For me, the HDX went on sale with an additional 10% off for prime customers, so I impulse bought it simply assuming it would be able to be rooted to the point where I could install CM or something else. I even understood that it ran a very customized version of Android, but what I didn't know was that Gapps were not supported. Also, I can't speak for the OP, but I didn't even know about the xda-forums until after my purchase.

So yes, I too was miffed with my "impulse purchase" with an assumption that I wouldn't be locked out of the Play Store, and I wouldn't be surprised by the number of people that are in the same boat as we are....so give the OP a break and get off your high horse.
The Following User Says Thank You to icedtrip For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Faznx92
Old
(Last edited by Faznx92; 4th June 2014 at 04:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 233
Do you think it's possible to pressure them into unlocking the device for us?

What I'm saying is this, we can tell them the demand for the tablet would jump (they'll make more money) if there was a setting to fully unlock it but you 100% void your software warranty (including Mayday) permanently and it reports that to Amazon. It's not like we'll be telling them a lie because the amount of people asking "is xxxx rooted yet" is kinda high and not to mention the amount of traffic reviews get. Fire OS should push an update for this. They say "lack of apps" and "it's not living up" so then allow this option.

Hell just the fact that they do something like this will spread through these threads/the bigger android community and gain Amazon more attention = more money for their pockets. I really hope we can push this point so everyone can be happy in the end. This idea needs to be flooded to 5-10 higher ups working on the tablets to make a impact. Let us stop these petty cat and mouse rooting games.

They are sad about sales, Amazon this can be a big boost to turn a greater profit! Plus it will solidify a group that will bolster your market share, the people looking for a high build quality android tablet to face off against the Apple powerhouse the Android tablet top dogs. I promise you'll not regret this. Even better yet, you'll be providing slightly less support.
How can this go wrong? You think Google will get a little grumpy? Get outa here Amazon, there is a phrase for that, keep you friends close but your enemies closer. AMAZON your not the next Google, Google isn't even the final Google, if that makes any sense. Amz you sell quality, DELIVER! Your not meant to pan handle ads. That's Google's main job.
Think Amazon, think!

We should really look into this.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss