Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,505 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cyanogen ROM for Xperia z2 tablet?

Tip us?

fearofbirds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Cyanogen ROM for Xperia z2 tablet?

Hi all,

I am completely new at this, having taken a few HOURS to root my tablet yesterday. So - i'm now hoping to flash a custom ROM (I hope that's the right terminology) but am not sure whether there are any available for the z2 tablet just yet. On the Cyanogen list on their website it doesn't appear there is one yet from them.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
No custom ROM ATM.

Otherwise it would be listed in one of the subforums "Android Development" or "Original Android Development".

Don't know whether it's because the Z2 tablet doesn't sell well or because the latest firmware .402 which fixes some things just came out (and developers only now start working) - development for this device seems dead.

For me (and others) this is absolutely no problem, because (just as on the Tablet Z) the stock ROM + root + Xposed offers all one needs, and there is simply no need of a custom ROM. Admit it, mostly what a custom ROM offers is just some gimmickry, some cosmetic changes etc.
And you lose some of the good features the Sony stock ROM offers.

So stop worrying and be happy with your rooted stock device!
The Following User Says Thank You to hasenbein1966 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fearofbirds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks so much for the help. That's appreciated.

And yes - I will get on with enjoying the device. I don't know why they aren't selling well. They are completely awesome.

quorn23
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966 View Post
For me (and others) this is absolutely no problem, because (just as on the Tablet Z) the stock ROM + root + Xposed offers all one needs, and there is simply no need of a custom ROM. Admit it, mostly what a custom ROM offers is just some gimmickry, some cosmetic changes etc.
And you lose some of the good features the Sony stock ROM offers.
I think it is pretty pointless to post in every thread regarding custom roms how you don't need it (no offense).
There are people out there who prefer AOSP roms over manufacture ones, or even Roms like Cyanogen, Paranoid and so on.
Or in other words, what exactly of the Sony Stuff is so great? I'm new to Sony Roms, my other devices all run AOSP and i didn't found anything yet that was a great plus. Other than that, nothing wrong with your post.
Private Samsung Galaxy S4 - Google Edition Rom (Stock Kernel)
Galaxy Gear - _Null19 Rom (Stock Kernel)
Work Motorola Moto G - Stock Rom (For now)
Sony Xperia Z 2 Tab (4G Model) - Stock Rom

Old:
Work SGS2 - CM10.1 Nightly (Stock Kernel)
Personal SGS2 - Pacman AOKP-MR1/CM10.1RC5 (Stock Kernel)
Just for fun SGS2 - Original Stock/CM9 Siyah Kernel
SG Tab 10.1 - CM10.1 Nightly (Stock Kernel)
SG Tab 10.1 - Infamous AOKP (Stock Kernel)

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
It's simply that with Cyanogen or Paranoid, you have only very few features that can't also be implemented by Xposed mods; and most of them are just kind of cosmetic, they don't really add to the functionality or ergonomics of the device. And at the time certain features which rely on Sony software to utilize the hardware fully are lost.

For me this sounds like a pretty bad deal.