Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 48,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Photon Q Battery Mod

Tip us?

goldbolt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Photon Q Battery Mod

Would it be possible do modify the Photon Q's battery at all? Like replace it with a RAZR MAXX HD's battery? I can't find dimensions on either battery or anything like that.

I was also wondering if it'd be possible to maybe take apart a battery (perhaps two Photon Q batteries) and somehow put them all in sequence and have it work like that. I'm a noob when it comes to these types of things. Any help is greatly appreciated!

mozzwald
Old
(Last edited by mozzwald; 22nd October 2013 at 01:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
You would have to get the measurements of both batteries and compare the sizes to see if the RAZR batt will fit. It looks to be the same voltage and chemistry.

You cant use multiple cells without special circuitry for charging. The best option is to find a larger cell of the same chemistry and voltage then mod the phone to hold it. Also, you would probably have to sacrifice a working battery to get the connector.

I added a larger cell to my Motorola Triumph
androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=763108

Sent from my XT897
The Following User Says Thank You to mozzwald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The Solutor
Old
(Last edited by The Solutor; 22nd October 2013 at 01:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzwald View Post
You would have to get the measurements of both batteries and compare the sizes to see if the RAZR batt will fit. It looks to be the same voltage and chemistry.
It's not easy to get that info, but looks like the RAZR battery, altough surely electrically compatible is not the same size.

Razer's one is 1.5 cm longer, and is also narrower.

Quote:
You cant use multiple cells without special circuitry for charging.
Well, surely you can't put two "smart" batteries in parallel from the outside, but it's feasible opening the battery and connecting properly the cells, internally.

But this must be done by someone who really knows what should be done, to avoid risky situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Solutor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mozzwald
Old
Thanks Meter 2
You can connect multiple cells in parallel but it's not a good idea without a proper circuit to charge the cells. Over time the cells will need charged at different rates.

Sent from my XT897
The Following User Says Thank You to mozzwald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The Solutor
Old
(Last edited by The Solutor; 22nd October 2013 at 01:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzwald View Post
You can connect multiple cells in parallel but it's not a good idea without a proper circuit to charge the cells. Over time the cells will need charged at different rates.
On small batteries like the one you can find on a cellphone "Proper circuit" could be just a couple of resistors to balance the "neighbor" cells.

I'ts way different on bigger batteries, like notebooks' or electric cars' ones.

Given the increased energy stored (and the increased risk) in the latter cases the charging circuitry checks every single cell, not the whole battery as happens on cellphones.

So doubling the capacity of such batteries is a completely different matter, a complete redesign of the charging circuitry (and battery firmware) is needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Solutor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goldbolt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I've this all figured out except for one thing. What the crap is this green..... thing on the back of the battery? It's like superglued onto it and I'm thinking it's an antenna of some kind, perhaps for NFC.

BUT, I can basically just connect the RAZR Maxx battery like this to mah phone I'm thinking. (see image)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr89150tryj8yu1kf0yfu9810.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	2362496  

kabaldan
Old
(Last edited by kabaldan; 31st October 2013 at 11:15 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3183

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbolt View Post
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I've this all figured out except for one thing. What the crap is this green..... thing on the back of the battery? It's like superglued onto it and I'm thinking it's an antenna of some kind, perhaps for NFC.

BUT, I can basically just connect the RAZR Maxx battery like this to mah phone I'm thinking. (see image)
EB40 (Razr Maxx) and EB41 (Photon Q/Droid 4) batteries have completely different dimensions.

goldbolt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabaldan View Post
EB40 and EB41 have completely different dimensions.
Yeah, I know this. I'll just wire it like in my image similar to what the other dude in this thread did with his Triumph.

dbpaddler
Old
Thanks Meter 205
This is why I wish Samsung would've made an S3 slider.
S4, 7" Tab 3 on Sprint and my trusty old Epic still in the stable.
ProClip reseller. Can save you at least 10% on their products.

The Solutor
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbolt View Post
Yeah, I know this. I'll just wire it like in my image similar to what the other dude in this thread did with his Triumph.
Wiring a different battery is definitely possible.
I did it on a HD2 clone, using a Mugen battery meant for the Palm PRE.

The hardest part is to find a battery with the correct dimensions, usually find the right one is just matter of luck, given is hard to know the exact dimensions of a battery before buying it.