Info 2 PSA: Kingo and vRoot determined to be malware [UPDATE 8 DEC]

OP LordManhattan

7th November 2013, 08:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,668

15,002 posts
More
MOD EDIT: Updated statement, not entirely true and currently under review. Hang tight, everything will be explained soon.

Remember the little discussion we had going in a thread here regarding vRoot, and i joked about vRoot was mining IMEIs? Well, apparently it's true . We have only ourselves to blame. I'm already rooted so i'll unlock my bootloader and install recovery. That way i don't need to root again if i screw something up. You "should" do the same if you're already rooted and don't care about losing Gracenote and X-Reality. Remember to backup your TA folder.

Quote:

This application is currently under review, XDA is in contact, and working with Kingo to resolve security issues, however until certain guidelines are met links will not be allowed in xda.

Thank you.

What does this mean? What are they able to do with our IMEI's (if they have them)? I'm not sure, and i won't speculate.

UPDATE: We'll have to wait this one out and see what happens. In the meantime, do not use Kingo or vRoot.

UPDATE - 19 november:

FB post from Kingo:

Quote:

"In this 1.1.2 version, the IMEI is no longer a problem. It's a long way to release the open source 2.X version, we have to face many tech problems and facing the Android 4.3,4.4 update at the same time. Thank you for your understanding."

If this is true, then it's safe to use Kingo again. We don't know if this is indeed true, but i don't see why they should lie about it since we can easily check it ourselves. Nothing from the devs behind vRoot though, so keep staying away from it for now.

Thanks to @stopa10 for keeping us updated

UPDATE - 8 december:

A new rooting tool has been released. Download it from this thread, and follow this guide (just swap vRoot with the new tool).

Thanks to cubeundcube (dev) and @RyokoN
Last edited by LordManhattan; 8th December 2013 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th November 2013, 10:19 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 582

2,888 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Remember the little discussion we had going in a thread here regarding vRoot, and i joked about vRoot was mining IMEIs? Well, apparently it's true. We have only ourselves to blame. I'm already rooted so i'll unlock my bootloader and install recovery. That way i don't need to root again if i screw something up. You "should" do the same if you're already rooted and don't care about losing Gracenote and X-Reality. Remember to backup your TA folder.

What does this mean? What are they able to do with our IMEI's (if they have them)? I'm not sure, and i won't speculate.

Jesus, that's bad news! My laziness pays off for once, but damn them for doing that!

This should be a sticky.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpyderTracks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th November 2013, 10:29 PM   |  #3  
Flag Kepler-34b

15,002 posts
More
Yeah, i was so soo skeptical when vRoot started to show up, and i refused to use it. Well, that was until i just had to have root, and i used it. I hate myself!

And yeah, i have PMed a mod and asked if this can be stickied so people don't use them.
7th November 2013, 11:44 PM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 582

2,888 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Yeah, i was so soo skeptical when vRoot started to show up, and i refused to use it. Well, that was until i just had to have root, and i used it. I hate myself!

And yeah, i have PMed a mod and asked if this can be stickied so people don't use them.

I was just about to root this weekend, had everything ready to go... Does this mean we have no root methods now?

7th November 2013, 11:50 PM   |  #5  
Flag Kepler-34b

15,002 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderTracks

I was just about to root this weekend, had everything ready to go... Does this mean we have no root methods now?

Yup, that's correct. Check the mod edit in the OP btw. Things could change pretty quickly again.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 12:20 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 90

600 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderTracks

But vRoot does certainly grant root access.
8th November 2013, 12:24 AM   |  #7  
Flag New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,028

1,511 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yeah we all had reservations about vRoot tool. But rooting was just to important to deny its easiness.
Will be interesting to see what the outcome is. What will happen from now...
8th November 2013, 12:26 AM   |  #8  
Flag Kepler-34b

15,002 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil

But vRoot does certainly grant root access.

So does Kingo, but the thing here is that we don't know why they are pulling IMEIs and what not. You can use it, but you won't know what's actually happening in the background (while it's rooting). But read the OP. The people that are checking into this will update us when they have more on this. In the meantime, don't root unless you really really need to.
8th November 2013, 01:06 AM   |  #9  
Flag Blackburn
Thanks Meter: 18

204 posts
More
Hmmm....

Lord M, remember the topic we had on vroot?

Exactly this.

Maybe ask chainfire to investigate further?

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app
8th November 2013, 01:38 AM   |  #10  
Flag Kepler-34b

15,002 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5starguerillaa

Hmmm....

Lord M, remember the topic we had on vroot?

Exactly this.

Maybe ask chainfire to investigate further?

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

I PM'd Chainfire about vRoot back in september. He was skeptical, and wouldn't use it himself, and that was pretty much it. I don't know if he's part of the investigation now though.

We'll have to wait until the mods have investigated this further, but what we already know is that they're logging our IMEIs. If that's intentional or not is a different question and I guess that's why the mods are investigating it. All vRoot and Kingo links have been removed from XDA, but if you want to use them then be my guest. I'm not stopping anybody, I'm just warning you

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kingo, malware, vroot
Previous Thread Next Thread