Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,446 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What's so hot about F2FS?

Tip us?

tmoulder
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default What's so hot about F2FS?

Seems everybody is trying out F2FS, but I've been pretty happy with the existing setup on my TF300T. I know it's "flash-friendly" but what exactly does that *mean*? Longer life on my flash memory? Better speed and performance? And if so, are we talking incremental improvement or really noticeable changes? Aside from curiosity, is there really a reason to change it?

Current setup is CM11 with GEASS kernel (not F2FS)

Thanks!

TM

ddd3astra
Old
(Last edited by ddd3astra; 5th June 2014 at 09:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoulder View Post
Seems everybody is trying out F2FS, but I've been pretty happy with the existing setup on my TF300T. I know it's "flash-friendly" but what exactly does that *mean*? Longer life on my flash memory? Better speed and performance? And if so, are we talking incremental improvement or really noticeable changes? Aside from curiosity, is there really a reason to change it?

Current setup is CM11 with GEASS kernel (not F2FS)

Thanks!

TM
The lowest Quadrant scores on my TF300 were always the memory and i/o scores. I just upgraded my CROMBi-kk (_that kernel) to F2FS and it bumped those scores up from "disasterous" to something like 5 times what they were before. I don't have my tablet with me to check, but I have definitely noticed an improvement since I made the change.

pastorbob62
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd3astra View Post
The lowest Quadrant scores on my TF300 were always the memory and i/o scores. I just upgraded my CROMBi-kk (_that kernel) to F2FS and it bumped those scores up from "disasterous" to something like 5 times what they were before. I don't have my tablet with me to check, but I have definitely noticed an improvement since I made the change.
When I moved to F2FS, I saw a pretty significant improvement as well.
Asus Transformer TF300T
ROM: CROMBi-kk 20140716
Kernel: _thatV10

Asus Transformer TF700T - Stock

Huawei U8800-51
ROM: MIUI multilingual ForEver 2.3.7

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 - Rooted - stock with bloat removed

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”

DaringDomino3s
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
although this thread doesn't belong here, in Android Development, and should be in General or Q&A, it is a VERY good question...

For this device (T300T) I have noticed a GREAT improvement in performance. I read in the Nexus 5 (hammerhead) forums that F2FS mainly improved write speed over read.

I read a good deal about Flash Friendly File System, and learned only that much without trying it. I am not always in the mood for doing more research than necessary. . . I learned how to convert to it, how to restore back; the errors that occor and how to correct them; the potential dangers; and then i re read the instructions and the forums regarding them.

On my Nexus 5 I'm amazed at the backup speed in TWRP and have found great performance enhancement, though its a Nexus 5, so its quite difficult to "feel" the difference unless you mess around with your device a ton (kernels roms OC etc) and THEN switch to it.

with this device, I have noticed a near-night and day difference since switching over. All I did was back up my data/media to my microSD and format using GEASS's provided recovery and flashed CM 11 back on and flashed Hardslog's grimlock kernel and then gapps. I used nandroid manager to restore my apps from a nand i made b4hand and copy and pasted whatever files I wanted on my tablet (which were few) internal memory.

Voila! my tab is sexy again.

Not sure about the whole F2FS All thing (reformatting all partitions to f2fs) its mentioned more in the hammerhead forums, and have read mixed reviews.

but its definitely worth a shot if youre not afraid of doing a little bit of reading and a little bit of dirty work, as it is quite beneficial on this tab

the end...for now
The Following User Says Thank You to DaringDomino3s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]