Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root for the MetroPCS Galaxy S3

Tip us?

philmiami
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Red face Root for the MetroPCS Galaxy S3

Hello,
I have just gotten a MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S3
I have gone and watched videos from wwjoshdew and followed these links
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1746680
But those are for Sprint/Verizon/AT&T/Tmo
So I was wondering does anyone know if the Sprint version will work on MetroPCS S3's or
does it need a 'new image' or what?
Since I can not ask this noob question I am asking it here.
If it could be forwarded to someone who is a developer and such I would appreciate it.
I just got the phone 10/20/12 and the "offical" release is 10/22/12 on www.metropcs.com but the corporate stores (like here in Miami) had it available on 10/19/12.
So, since it's new I understand that part of the question but if anyone does know, please let me know.
philmiami

shimp208
Old
(Last edited by shimp208; 22nd October 2012 at 02:11 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,542

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmiami View Post
Hello,
I have just gotten a MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S3
I have gone and watched videos from wwjoshdew and followed these links
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1746680
But those are for Sprint/Verizon/AT&T/Tmo
So I was wondering does anyone know if the Sprint version will work on MetroPCS S3's or
does it need a 'new image' or what?
Since I can not ask this noob question I am asking it here.
If it could be forwarded to someone who is a developer and such I would appreciate it.
I just got the phone 10/20/12 and the "offical" release is 10/22/12 on www.metropcs.com but the corporate stores (like here in Miami) had it available on 10/19/12.
So, since it's new I understand that part of the question but if anyone does know, please let me know.
philmiami
You should be able to root your phone using the tool I have attached it is based on the DebugFSroot method . Make sure to install the drivers for your phone first before attempting to use this tool, after you download it unzip the file to your desktop, plug your phone into your computer, then execute the bat file and follow the instructions (Note this is for Windows only).
Attached Files
File Type: zip DebugFSroot_generic.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.02 MB, 9241 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

philmiami
Old
(Last edited by philmiami; 22nd October 2012 at 08:45 AM.) Reason: not able to post .jpg screenshot
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Here is a screen shot of About on my phone

**This is the screen shot from the phone.*** <<- would not let me post a outside link since I just read on this forum and not post (since I am no developer, just 3 posts so far)

Have to cut/paste this link I guess
picasaweb.google.com/114859325136619356966/MetroPCSGalaxyS3

So again, I just ask do you think this tool would work on this.
I am hesitant because this is not like the other phones in which they have been Gingerbread or my wife's which is 4.0 but it is a LG Motion (MetroPCS) and the root was simple (just followed a youtube video) and the phone was $149.
This one, for me, was $500, so I don't want to get a $500 brick and then try to return/exchange it.
So I am cautious when it comes to doing this.
Thanks,
philmiami

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
You should be able to root your phone using the tool I have attached it is based on the DebugFSroot method . Make sure to install the drivers for your phone first before attempting to use this tool, after you download it unzip the file to your desktop, plug your phone into your computer, then execute the bat file and follow the instructions (Note this is for Windows only).

dvdee
Old
(Last edited by dvdee; 31st October 2012 at 07:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I just used this method on my metropcs S3 and it worked. Thanks, all I need now is a way to unlock the phone to use it with any SIM and I'm good to go.

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,542

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdee View Post
I just used this method on my metropcs S3 and it worked. Thanks, all I need now is a way to unlock the phone to use it with any SIM and I'm good to go.
To unlock the phone you will need a SIM unlock code you can find many different places to purchase a SIM unlock code, and I believe if your account is in good standing with Metro and your nice to them they might be able to unlock it for you. Also here is a link to Clockworkmod 6.0.1.5 for the MetroPCS Galaxy S3. Enjoy my friend .
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

philmiami
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wink Already got root thanks

It did not take long for someone to have the root process (even for a mac) in one of the other forums
so I got my phone rooted
put titanium backup pro on there and froze the bloatware from MetroPCS
so it's doing good for me
and a lot better phone than the LG Esteem 4G I had (with MetroPCS)

Quote:
To unlock the phone you will need a SIM unlock code you can find many different places to purchase a SIM unlock code, and I believe if your account is in good standing with Metro and your nice to them they might be able to unlock it for you. Also here is a link to Clockworkmod 6.0.1.5 for the MetroPCS Galaxy S3. Enjoy my friend .

fatalfury
Old
Thanks Meter 10
you will not be able to unlock this phone as far as the sim goes its for the 4g lte sim type cards not GSM

SDRebel
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalfury View Post
you will not be able to unlock this phone as far as the sim goes its for the 4g lte sim type cards not GSM
are you 100% sure of this? do you have proof?
They said the same of every LTE phone out there but most (if not all) of them support GSM at a varying degree, from my rezound that needed firmware updates to be fully functional to the iphone 5 that is fully capable and unlocked.

I mostly wanted to post this to know the truth and so other people looking out there don't get confused by this post that may or may not be true

haxmethod
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Automatic root not working

every time i try this method it says that the daemon has started successfully
but then it says that there are system partitions not found, rooting failed

the drivers downloaded perfectly, but a message popped up on my phone that said they're
was no software on my pc that could detect my phone

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,542

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxmethod View Post
every time i try this method it says that the daemon has started successfully
but then it says that there are system partitions not found, rooting failed

the drivers downloaded perfectly, but a message popped up on my phone that said they're
was no software on my pc that could detect my phone
I would recommend uninstalling the drivers you installed then re-installing them. Also make sure USB debugging is checked in developer options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium