Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,964 Members 51,957 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S-pen Scratches Screen?!

Tip us?

ugotproblemz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default S-pen Scratches Screen?!

In a review of the Galaxy note 10.1 written by examiner they claim that when using the S-pen it can scratch you screen, and that it is only visible under the sunlight with the power off.

Quote:
The worst part about the screen is that the S-Pen actually scratches the screen, which is supposed to be protected by Gorilla Glass. You won't notice the scratches unless you look at the screen with the power off in sunlight, but it is still annoying. Those of you who are desperate enough to buy the Galaxy Note 10.1 may want to invest in a screen cover.
Can any note owners confirm this?

LINK :http://www.examiner.com/article/sams...timately-fails
Feel Free to poke my "Thanks" button if I've helped you!

Get Dropbox for cloud storage/syncing! Use my link and we each get 500mb

DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8013
ROM: Redemption Rom...One Zip for All...v4.1

DEVICE: LG NEXUS 4
ROM: PARANOIDANDROID 3.0

DEVICE: Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 (SOLD)
DEVICE: TF700 (RETURNED)

qnfauf
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Mine certainly does not have any scratches. At least not yet. I used it a lot so far (like writing a few full pages of notes), so I don't think it should normally be a problem.

Scratches might have happened because some particles between the pen and the screen, not the pen itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qnfauf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ninjaprofessor
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotproblemz View Post
In a review of the Galaxy note 10.1 written by examiner they claim that when using the S-pen it can scratch you screen, and that it is only visible under the sunlight with the power off.

Can any note owners confirm this?

LINK :http://www.examiner.com/article/sams...timately-fails

I just came to the forums looking for the same answer. I was planning on getting one of these tomorrow but now I want to wait until I hear from people who have them and are using them. Can anyone verify or dispute this claim that the stylus scratches the screen?

404 ERROR
Old
Thanks Meter 111
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised. Gorilla glass isn't invincible. It's meant to give some leeway for those who do treat they devices carefully. That said, reviewers like these need to keep in mind that there are many factors that can contribute scratches on screens. While Gorilla Glass certainly does not get scratched easily by kitchen knives and blades, it can get scratched by dust. You might think that's impossible, but dust is made up of a lot of different things. There might be a diamond particle in there, who knows? But if you get something that hard and rub it against the Gorilla Glass, it's going to scratch, no questions asked.

I don't think it's the S Pen that scratched their screen, but rather their own carelessness. So to answer you question, is it possible that the S Pen scratched it? Yeah. But likely? Nope.

I don't own a Galaxy Note 10.1 yet, but I just wanted to get this across before people start to freak out about how Gorilla Glass can be scratched.
The Following User Says Thank You to 404 ERROR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freedomispopular
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Its physically impossible for the plastic nib to scratch glass. But like the other guy said, any particles in between the nib and the screen could cause a scratch. I've experienced this myself personally on my Note. Just make sure the screen and nib are clean, and if you're gonna be using the tablet in an environment where it could be subjected to dust particles or whatever, I'd highly recommend a screen protector. Oh, one other thing, what looks like scratches could just be the pen cutting through finger grease on the screen. There have been many times where I thought I got a bunch of little scratches on my screen, but then was relieved to find out that was not the case.

As a sidenote, what's with reviewers these days? It's like they're all doing every thing they can to discredit the Note and make sure it fails.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
My Note 3 listing on Swappa: http://swappa.com/listing/ZTZ606/view
The Following User Says Thank You to freedomispopular For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sparksltd
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Looks like a poor attempt of a review to slate Samsungs new tablet. I wouldn't even call it a review just a rant by someone who dislikes the device from the start. I would ignore it.

ElCamino
Old
Thanks Meter 78
So far no scratches on my screen. I have been using it for about two weeks. I do plan on getting a screen protector just in case.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda premium

troed
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Now 4 days continously working with S-Pan indoors and outdoors by the pool, even on the beach: no single scratch even when lookung with a magnifying glass.

Some types of grease/lotions make believe itīs a scratch and can be very sticky but can easily be wiped away with a wet cloth and a microsquirt of dishcleaner.

I bought the 10.1 as replacement for my old notebook and it will have a hard life with me
Angelo Troedhan
HTC Touch HD Blackstone(retired), HTC HD2 (retired)
SGS II, (retired), SGS III (retired), SG Note (retired), SGN 10.1 (use: only at home as reader,video, remote control for my Sammy-TV)
Current: Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Sony Xperia Z1, DSC-QX100

http://www.perfectsmileandface.com/Z...-Info-main.htm
http://www.perfectsmileandface.com/Z...Detailinfo.htm
http://www.perfectsmileandface.com/P...Behandlung.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to troed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rayandreas
Old
Thanks Meter 493
I have both the note 5.3 phone and the 10.1 and neither have scratches from the s pen. I don't have one regret about getting this I pad conqueror!

Pinnacle74
Old
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
I've had the Note 5.3 phone since December last year and the screen on it has not a single scratch on it, my 3 year old son likes to draw on the phone with the S Pen and as already mentioned still not a single scratch (knock on wood!).

If you are worried then get a screen protector, I have not yet decided if I will get one myself or if I will just settle with a case/flip case of some sort.
Here is a thread regarding screen protectors for the Note 10.1 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1838473

What I in fact AM worried about is the rear facing camera lens on the Note 10.1, if the "design" is the same as on the Note 5.3 phone (which it seems to be based on pictures), the rear facing camera lens is actually a little bit elevated. So if the Note 10.1 is laying flat on it's back on a desk you better make sure there are no small sharp particles that can scratch the lens on the desk.

Attaches below is a picture where you can clearly see this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Note10.1.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1271203