[How To] Root the Rogers Infuse 4G - NOT for AT&T Infuse owners

OP gtg465x

1st August 2011, 10:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,928

3,906 posts
More
Instructions:
1) Create a folder on your internal SD card called Voodoo. Then create another folder inside of it called disable-lagfix.
2) Make sure the Samsung USB drivers are installed. Installing Kies is a good way to accomplish this. It shouldn't matter which version of Kies you install as they all contain the same USB driver.
3) Download and unzip Odin_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.zip.
4) Right click on Odin3_v1.81.exe and run it as administrator.
5) Place your phone into download mode. Do this by powering it completely off and then holding down both volume buttons while plugging in the USB cable.
6) Make sure your phone shows up in Odin as COM##.
7) Click the PDA button and choose PDA_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.tar.md5.
8) Press Start.
9) If the phone doesn't automatically reboot after it completes the flash, just pull the battery and then replace it and turn on the phone.
10) You should now be rooted and see the Superuser app installed on your phone.

Optional post root procedures:
-You may want to install BusyBox from the Market after rooting. It's required by some root applications.
-If you would like to revert to the stock kernel after rooting, follow the same procedure but instead use Odin_Stock_Rogers_UXKG3_Kernel.zip. You will not lose root by reverting to the stock kernel. If you enabled Voodoo lagfix at some point, you must disable it before reverting to the stock kernel.
-If you would like to enable Voodoo lagfix, just delete the Voodoo folder you created on your internal SD card and reboot.
-You may access CWM recovery while using the kernel you flashed to get root. To access it, power off your phone and with the phone powered off hold both volume keys and the power button for about 10 seconds and then release.
-You may install my Infused v2 ROM if you wish. Just enable Voodoo lagfix and then follow the instructions titled "Installation from stock or from Infused v1" in my thread. You will not experience the known bugs listed for the ROM like us AT&T owners.

--Downloads--
Odin_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.zip
Odin_Stock_Rogers_UXKG3_Kernel.zip

Here are the mirrors for the rogers kernels: (By threi_)

Minus folder for both (and other Rogers stuff will be added)

Odin_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.zip
Odin_Stock_Rogers_UXKG3_Kernel.zip

I do this for fun so you shouldn't feel any obligation to donate, but here's a link if you want to. Donations of any amount are very much appreciated.

Last edited by broncogr; 14th April 2012 at 08:06 PM.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd August 2011, 01:36 AM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

43 posts
More
thanks for guide gtg! just one question, (first time using odin) when I put my infuse into download mode, in odin it says com 05...not COM##...is that okay?

thanks!!
2nd August 2011, 01:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,928

3,906 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchaotiKittenx

thanks for guide gtg! just one question, (first time using odin) when I put my infuse into download mode, in odin it says com 05...not COM##...is that okay?

thanks!!

Yep. ## just means some number, any number.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd August 2011, 01:51 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 29

339 posts
More
Com port number doesn't matter; hence the ## designation. Your computer will assign whatever I/O port is currently available. May not always be 05. just as long as you wait 'til one is assigned.
2nd August 2011, 01:59 AM   |  #5  
Flag Toronto

43 posts
More
ahhh awesome thanks guys! I just wanted to double check =) I'll let you know how it goes !!

Update: Done super easy and super fast..kinda scared me how fast it finished xD but it didn't erase anything at all ! woohoo ^^ Thanks again Gtg!!
Last edited by xchaotiKittenx; 2nd August 2011 at 02:05 AM.
2nd August 2011, 05:03 AM   |  #6  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 56

252 posts
More
I too can confirm that this is Great! Rooted!
Thanks for the help GTG465x
2nd August 2011, 05:04 AM   |  #7  
Flag ANKENY,iowa
Thanks Meter: 374

3,391 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy11

I too can confirm that this is Great! Rooted!
Thanks for the help GTG465x

Chewy gtg neede u on irc a while ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using XDA Premium App
2nd August 2011, 07:49 AM   |  #8  
Flag Toronto

43 posts
More
Quick question out of curiousity.. When wr flashed the infused gingerbread kernal.. Was it not supposed to erase everything on the phone? not complaining just curious how it works as i thought it was supposed.
Thanks again!! still working awesome and improved batt life!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using XDA App
2nd August 2011, 07:54 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 39

208 posts
Quote:

Quick question out of curiousity.. When wr flashed the infused gingerbread kernal.. Was it not supposed to erase everything on the phone? not complaining just curious how it works as i thought it was supposed.

Flashing a kernel doesn't erase any data at all. The kernel is what makes the system boot and work, but it isn't tied to your apps at all.

An analogy I can think of is when you change an engine in a car(change a kernel in a phone), none of the CDs in your radio/songs on your mp3 player(apps/data on your phone) are effected at all.
2nd August 2011, 07:54 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 684

3,539 posts
More
Quote:

kernel are backend, drivers and such. they are independent of the rom And data. roms can also be flashed without clearing data even in Odin but many devs write scripts that wipe because left over data can cause many issues, especially if there are roms for different carriers and different OS versions available.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread