Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,219 Members 52,065 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ROOT IDEA

Tip us?

bruderhood15
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default ROOT IDEA

I'm not too sure about too much of the heartbleed bug that has been going around but it has been confirmed that it can attack android 4.1.1 and above. Maybe its a possibility that we could look into this as an exploit to gain root access on our phones.
Below is a video talking about android vulnerability and also there is an app called ghost bleed that is supposed to look into and patch it till the carriers release an update to patch on their own. Hope this helps in any way to gain root

http://youtu.be/YyJi_wdZLKw

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dejahboi
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruderhood15 View Post
I'm not too sure about too much of the heartbleed bug that has been going around but it has been confirmed that it can attack android 4.1.1 and above. Maybe its a possibility that we could look into this as an exploit to gain root access on our phones.
Below is a video talking about android vulnerability and also there is an app called ghost bleed that is supposed to look into and patch it till the carriers release an update to patch on their own. Hope this helps in any way to gain root

Interesting find

mcj30606
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Heartbleed is a remote information disclosure vulnerability. I would not think that any information that would be useful to gaining root (such as vendor signing keys) would be resident in local memory

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mcj30606 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spuniun
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Unfortunately, any heart bleed exploit would only pertain to a remote user capturing secure data sent from the device wirelessly such as web service logins and passwords. The types of data we would need to get our hands on is never passed in this manner so the only things this affects is you're personal data.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to spuniun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DR4LUC0N
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Why not...?

Maybe we can use and abuse a system like Telnet? I'm no expert on phones, but I am a Computer Technician and Telnet used to be a way of hacking/getting into a PC into OS's. I mean Android is an modified OS to work on mobile devices.

Dennisg34
Old
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR4LUC0N View Post
Maybe we can use and abuse a system like Telnet? I'm no expert on phones, but I am a Computer Technician and Telnet used to be a way of hacking/getting into a PC into OS's. I mean Android is an modified OS to work on mobile devices.
Hmm I use telnet at work just to see if our clients have designated ports open? Didn't know it can be used for other things

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOTED
ROM: Wizzle ROM
KERNEL:Stock
RECOVERY:SafeStrap 3.75

Galaxy S4
ROM: Eclipse ROM
KERNEL: KToonez
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.5

Before asking a question, use this:

K-Alzwayed
Old
Thanks Meter 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruderhood15 View Post

I just ran that app and it didn't show any vulnerabilities in my phone. It all says pass.

from the tip of my fangers...!

spuniun
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR4LUC0N View Post
telnet is a networking protocol which (a) is not enabled by default in android and (b) even if it were enabled does not run with elevated permissions (unless you already have elevated permissions) so there's nothing there to "abuse". Telnet has no relationship with any heartbleed exploits which similarly cannot be used to gain any elevated permissions.

Sorry, it's just not relevant to any root exploit for any devices, not just ours.
The Following User Says Thank You to spuniun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,007

DONATE TO ME
There is already a thread for "Ideas for rooting our phones" Please search before posting

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe