Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,227 Members 47,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How is developer support for the Galaxy line of phones?

Tip us?

mikeyrocks
Old
(Last edited by mikeyrocks; 16th April 2014 at 03:40 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How is developer support for the Galaxy line of phones?

Wasn't sure if this is more Q&A or not.

Right now I have the evo 3d. Support for it was really good, actually still 2 or 3 developers working with it, so I'm running kitkat on it right now, which has kept me from feeling the need to upgrade right away.

Anyway, like a lot of other people I'm deciding between the m8 and s5, I might wait a little longer just to see what LG drops. I'm not too familiar with how developer friendly the Galaxy line of phones are, specifically the Sprint models. I've read varying opinions from there's little development outside of some TW roms to development is strong.

Developer support is a big deciding factor for me since it can really allow you to prolong the life of your phone, hence why I'm still using my evo 3d, though it's falling apart now and showing its age so its time to finally bite the bullet and upgrade.

Not asking anyone to predict the future on how dev support will be for the s5 but just looking for input on how it's been for the previous Galaxy phones just so I have some idea. Talking TW roms as well as AOSP roms.

Thanks!

CCWS
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Once you get used to using Odin to flash you'll be fine. I find that Samsung Galaxy's (I've now owned Sprints epic 4g touch, S4 and now S5) have always had excellent support here. I generally only root stock to clean up the crap software but on numerous occasions I've used full roms from XDA to see what else is out there.

A few annoyances:

1) Knox is security software that trips when you modify parts of the system and supposedly Sprint can use a tripped Knox counter to refuse warranty work. This has never happened to me however and I've had to swap handsets many times.

2) Samsung is good at getting you hooked on touchwiz and their ecosystem of apps; I like the smart view covers and it's been tough getting it to work on some of the roms available. I also like the Samsung default camera which thankfully works well on most roms, but some functions within the camera weren't available.

3) Root, in my opinion, is required to make Sprint's handsets run optimally. Mostly because you need to remove the crap software, but so far Chainfire has been fantastic getting root out very quickly for most of the handsets/providers within days of release.

Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to CCWS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LordLugard
Old
Thanks Meter 289
So why don't you just look in the respective Galaxy phone forums and see for yourself how development is coming along? It's a simple thing to pop in here and there and just see the different ROMs, etc.
The Galaxy line is by far the most popular Android brand right now and as such gets a lot of developer attention.
Previous mistresses:
Epic Touch (Galaxy)
Nexus S 4G
Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2)
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Note 2
LG G2
Moto X (Current)
The Following User Says Thank You to LordLugard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

durandetto
Old
Thanks Meter 134
I just pray @sacs will get an s5. He had the best rom ever for the s4. Id be willing to drop some $ if it would guarantee he got this phone. Kind of worried about development right now haven't seen any devs talking about doing anything for is yet. I guess thats what you get when you get a phone at release.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to durandetto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

reverepats
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 5068

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandetto View Post
I just pray @sacs will get an s5. He had the best rom ever for the s4. Id be willing to drop some $ if it would guarantee he got this phone. Kind of worried about development right now haven't seen any devs talking about doing anything for is yet. I guess thats what you get when you get a phone at release.

Unfotunately he won't be. He's devoted to the Note series at the moment, and has not expressed any need to get teh S5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reverepats For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rhizomorph
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I just jumped from the S2 to the S5 - I was hooked on Dirty Unicorns and SlimBean, so I'm crossing my fingers they release those (or some variant them) for the S5 soon. I've already rooted mine, but just sitting here waiting with a boring stock ROM is killing me!

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7427

DONATE TO ME
I'm stewing on it. Cost is an obvious factor but I have an idea on how to pull it off.
If do it won't be likely until May at earliest.

Regardless whether I get or not I'll do what I can to help things move along.
Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Donations: Please click on the "Donate to Me" on the left to donate to my Extra Life 2014 campaign.
All proceeds go to the Lurie Children's Hospital in downtown Chicago.

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to garwynn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bmark34
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Where is the almighty Myn these days....?

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to bmark34 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Robbie Doo
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomorph View Post
I just jumped from the S2 to the S5 - I was hooked on Dirty Unicorns and SlimBean, so I'm crossing my fingers they release those (or some variant them) for the S5 soon. I've already rooted mine, but just sitting here waiting with a boring stock ROM is killing me!

I know what you mean. Same here.

sleshepic
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 6676

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomorph View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Doo View Post
I know what you mean. Same here.
Once we get our trees up Slim will be one of the first I build
If you enjoy my work, Please Consider a Donation. I go through alot of Coffee