Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,824 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

O2 Trion and T-Mobile Vario II ->ROM upgrade to HTC TyTn

Tip us?
 
Mad_M
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 25
Join Date: Sep 2006
Default O2 Trion and T-Mobile Vario II ->ROM upgrade to HTC TyTn

Hi all,

I'm quite new at ROM upgrading, so I apologize if any of my questions will be annoying to anyone.
I am about to buy O2 XDA Trion or T-Mobile MDA Vario II in Germany, and I plan to flash English ROM on it.
So here are the questions:

1. Will any type of ROM work on this brands of device ?
(Can I flash HTC TyTn English ROM on them. If not which ROM's can I use? Which one do you recommend?)

2. Will flashing new ROM unlock SIM ?
(If not, can you recommend me some good tool or method)

3. After upgrade to English ROM, will everything be in English ?
(Including all OS+Office apps. and keyboard layout, or do I have to set registry keys manually after?)

4. Which is the last known stable English HTC TyTn ROM (or O2 English) ?
(that it's enabling HSDPA also)

5. How to extract original ROM from device ?
(itsutils tool, or is there some better solution ?)

6. What is the benefit of Extended ROM ?
(does it exist Extended HTC TyTn ROM ?)


Already searched on forum, but still couldn't find answers to some of my questions. Anyway, I want to be sure before I do it.

I would appreciate any answers and/or advice.

Thank you all in advance.
 
pof
Old
#2  
pof's Avatar
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 3,571
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Barcelona

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: O2 Trion and T-Mobile Vario II ->ROM upgrade to HTC T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
1. Will any type of ROM work on this brands of device ?
Any of the ROMs listed here will be fine:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...ermes_Upgrades


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
2. Will flashing new ROM unlock SIM ?
(If not, can you recommend me some good tool or method)
No, it will not, but most probably your device will be Sim Unlocked.
If it is not, there is no free way of unlocking it *yet*, you can SIM Unlock it using imei-check service for 20pounds. See more info here:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...rmes_SimUnlock


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
3. After upgrade to English ROM, will everything be in English ?
(Including all OS+Office apps. and keyboard layout, or do I have to set registry keys manually after?)
Everything will be in english, but in German O2 trion you have an AZERTY keyboard (mapped to QWERTY after upgrade). If you want it to be AZERTY again you can change the layout using the keyboard registry hack found here:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...ermes_Registry


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
4. Which is the last known stable English HTC TyTn ROM (or O2 English) ?
(that it's enabling HSDPA also)
Again, see this page for the latest roms:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...ermes_Upgrades

Most of the roms come with HSDPA enabled, and if it is not, you can enable it using SetHSDPA /enable or fit4cat hermes tweaker, see more info here:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...e=Hermes_Utils


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
5. How to extract original ROM from device ?
(itsutils tool, or is there some better solution ?)
Info is here:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...s_HowtoDumpRom
You can dump the original rom, but you cannot flash it back... most probably this will be quite unuseful for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
6. What is the benefit of Extended ROM ?
(does it exist Extended HTC TyTn ROM ?)
Read this:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index..._For_Beginners
And this:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...s_ExtendedRoms


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
Already searched on forum, but still couldn't find answers to some of my questions. Anyway, I want to be sure before I do it.
2nd Sticky post points you to the wiki, all my answers point you to the wiki because all your questions are answered there, so you have to read the wiki

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...ame=HTC_Hermes
 
Mad_M
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 25
Join Date: Sep 2006
Default Re: O2 Trion and T-Mobile Vario II ->ROM upgrade to HTC T

Thanks Pof for quick answers !

Correct me if I understood it wrong, any ROM (HTC, O2 English, I-mate etc.) should work with both brands (O2, T-Mobile) ?

How can I then fall back to original ROM (if I would need it for warranty reasons) ?

Is the Extended ROM must, or can I live without it also ?
 
pof
Old
#4  
pof's Avatar
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 3,571
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Barcelona

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: O2 Trion and T-Mobile Vario II ->ROM upgrade to HTC T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
Correct me if I understood it wrong, any ROM (HTC, O2 English, I-mate etc.) should work with both brands (O2, T-Mobile) ?
That's right, you will get a Vendor ID when upgrading, you just need to run the upgrade utility twice without disconnecting your device. This is explained in the wiki too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
How can I then fall back to original ROM (if I would need it for warranty reasons) ?
As O2 or T-Mobile has not released any rom upgrade yet, you cannot fall back to original rom. There is no known way of doing it because the typical commands to backup/restore to SD card have been removed in the Hermes bootloader. So upgrade at your own risk or don't upgrade if you pretend to return the unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
Is the Extended ROM must, or can I live without it also ?
You can live without it, but generally it fixes some things (you'll not be able to do video calls without it for example). All the cabs are not needed and there are some customizations, skins, etc which are really annoying for me. What I generally do is "reset" before the ExtROM installs on first boot after hard-reset, and then manually install the cabs I want: some taken from TyTN rom, some others taken from i-mate rom and some others taken from Dopod rom.

Hope that helps!
 
fgro
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 70
Join Date: Apr 2006
Upgrading at your own risk ... that may be risky ... LOL

But i did it and its worth,...... still waiting for the new O2 ROM ...
Cingular HTC 8125
O2 Xda Trion
 
pof
Old
#6  
pof's Avatar
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 3,571
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Barcelona

 
DONATE TO ME
I've written a wiki page with all this:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...mes_UpgradeFAQ
 
Mad_M
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 25
Join Date: Sep 2006
Can I flash HTC ROM and then add O2 Extended ROM ?

Will I then have all O2 specific stuff, and O2 skins?

Did anybody already tried this combination ?

Thanks in advance...
 
pof
Old
#8  
pof's Avatar
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 3,571
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Barcelona

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
Can I flash HTC ROM and then add O2 Extended ROM ?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_M
Will I then have all O2 specific stuff, and O2 skins?
Yes, operator customizations are always in ExtROM.
 
liva
Old
#9  
liva's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 156
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PARIS
thanks pof, i don't know from where is this french rom come from, but i want tell thank for the someone who gives it [sorry for my bad english]
 
liva
Old
#10  
liva's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 156
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PARIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by liva
thanks pof, i don't know from where is this french rom come from, but i want tell thank for the someone who gives it [sorry for my bad english]
i see it at qtek.ch too

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes