Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Thumbs down What did Samsung think?! S-NOTE, ACTION MEMO, SCRAPBOOK - and their unpractical usage

OP brooon

1st December 2013, 09:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 138

754 posts
Hi folks!

This thread will just be about me grumbling about some of our beloved Notes functions - especially the S-Pen "core apps".

My question is: What did Samsung think with integrating two dictinct apps which rather should have been developed as one (and could have been developed as one so EASY)? This is what we do have now:

1.) Action Memo:
- Cool functions (e.g. saving numbers to contacs)
- VERY restricted in formating (pensize, pen style etc)
- Can be opened from the s-pen actions menu
- Can be choosed to be opened instead of the s- pen actions menu after detaching the S-Pen (this function was reserved for the S-Note on the Note 2) (S-Note popup)
- Can only be synced to samsung
- Notes are sorted in a list - but NO WIDGET

2.) S- Note
- No "cool functions"
- many format options (pens, colors, pensize, picture etc)
- Can not be opened from the S-Pen actions menu
- Can not be choosed to be opened after detaching the S-Pen anymore (S-Note popup)
- Can be synced to samsung and evernote
- Notes are sorted in a list - WIDGET IS AVAILABLE.

3.) Scrapbook

--> just a THIRD app with just ONE MORE function, which could have been integrated in e.g. S-Note as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why didnīt they got it managed to have one app to "rule them all"? Wouldnt that have been MUCH better and much more logical!?

One app, that can be immediately accessed form the menu/after detaching the s-pen, which can be used as a notepad, with all the functions and with a widget? Now I always have to decide which app Iīm going to use. If it has to be fast, I am forced to use action memo (where I have to go without formating options), wherelse I always prefere S-Note when there is "the time to open it up".

Yes, I know, there ist e.g. Papyrus or /and the S-Pen buddy. But this is not the topic.
Last edited by brooon; 3rd December 2013 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st December 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 10

77 posts
If I remember a similar topic was added here and a moderator closed it because there is no point... no offence but if all people liked the phone or its features than samsung would be the only company selling phones.

Peace!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Dral29 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st December 2013, 11:52 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 138

754 posts
Well, there is a point. If no one opens up such threads (bitching about their software) , they have no reason at all to change things.

Closing such threads is not usual on xda, perhaps the OP didn't make his point clear. Otherwise, I would be surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd December 2013, 12:10 AM   |  #4  
Flag Maple Ridge
Thanks Meter: 13

71 posts
More
Well, there is actually an action memo widget. Just saying.

And action memo was designed to take memos, or quick, and usually short, bits of information. Hence why you have such a variety of 'actions' to deal with bits of information. S-Note is now designed more as a notebook, we're you can keep a wealth of information, organize it all, etc.

I agree it would have been nice to have a single app to do it all, but then you have to start thinking were do you draw the line between different apps, or lumping everything s-pen related into a single app. The bigger the app, the longer it's going to take to load, index and display everything. Keeping things to small packages for quick tasks was probably the best way to go.

I personally like the separation of the two. I use action memo for jotting down bits of information I need right away, and then just get rid of it later, like a quick phone number, work appt. Or small list of grocery items. I use S-Note to hold detailed information about work I do, neatly organized and synced with evernote (which I'm really liking btw).

I doubt complaining will get something like this changed. Either get used to it and use it or don't.

Just my 2 cents. Not saying your wrong on the matter in a personal sense, but there's logic to why they did what they did.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app
2nd December 2013, 07:19 AM   |  #5  
Flag Auckland, EnZed
Thanks Meter: 270

883 posts
More
I like the segregation of Action Memo & S Note. Divides long form & short form. Coming from the Note II, I wished it had done this, as quickly jotted down thoughts are quite different from longer form, fleshed out ideas. You can still open Action Memo using the hold-button, double-tap action from the Note II as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
2nd December 2013, 08:07 AM   |  #6  
Dubai
Thanks Meter: 406

1,014 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooon

Hi folks!

This thread will just be about me grumbling about some of our beloved Notes functions - especially the S-Pen "core apps".

My question is: What did Samsung think with integrating two dictinct apps which rather should have been developed as one (and could have been developed as one so EASY)? This is what we do have now:

1.) Action Memo:
- Cool functions (e.g. saving numbers to contacs)
- VERY restricted in formating (pensize, pen style etc)
- Can be opened from the s-pen actions menu
- Can be choosed to be opened instead of the s- pen actions menu after detaching the S-Pen (this function was reserved for the S-Note on the Note 2) (S-Note popup)
- Can only be synced to samsung
- Notes are sorted in a list - but NO WIDGET

2.) S- Note
- No "cool functions"
- many format options (pens, colors, pensize, picture etc)
- Can not be opened from the S-Pen actions menu
- Can not be choosed to be opened after detaching the S-Pen anymore (S-Note popup)
- Can be synced to samsung and evernote
- Notes are sorted in a list - WIDGET IS AVAILABLE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why didnīt they got it managed to have one app to "rule them all"? Wouldnt that have been MUCH better and much more logical!?

One app, that can be immediately accessed form the menu/after detaching the s-pen, which can be used as a notepad, with all the functions and with a widget? Now I always have to decide which app Iīm going to use. If it has to be fast, I am forced to use action memo (where I have to go without formating options), wherelse I always prefere S-Note when there is "the time to open it up".

Yes, I know, there ist e.g. Papyrus or /and the S-Pen buddy. But this is not the topic.

Sorry off the topic,U said action memo can sync only with samsung but I could not found any settings to sync,may u mean backup threw kies or there is a another way to synk which may i don't know ??pls advice
2nd December 2013, 10:14 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,132 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooon

Hi folks!

I think you might be missing something from the very core of it - Action Note is not so much a real "note in a notebook" as a "post-it note" (term is TM by 3M - which explains why Samsung can not use it).

I only discovered how handy those Action Notes are when I left one minimized - it will "stick" to your screen everywhere just as if you placed a physical Post-It on your monitor.

My main gripe on that is that you can not change (default) pen width, also you can not write normal text and most important you can only have ONE minimized note on the screen
3rd December 2013, 08:47 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
I agree there are issues. Action Memo is a nice idea but the actions are far too limited. Why not use standard android sharing so I can tweet a note for example. If I don't use Google Tasks then I can't create a task. At present I can't even copy text to the clipboard.
The key missing feature though is the ability to transfer the note over into S Note. At present if I start a note in Action Note and then decide it's a full note there isn't a thing I can do other than write the text out again as a result I don't touch it at all.
Also why not allow the actions from S Note?

The same is true for Scrap Booker. A nice feature which I don't touch because it doesn't integrate with anything else or sync to other devices.
3rd December 2013, 09:09 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,132 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyL

The key missing feature though is the ability to transfer the note over into S Note. At present if I start a note in Action Note and then decide it's a full note there isn't a thing I can do other than write the text out again as a result I don't touch it at all.

Actually you can "Send" the Action Note (from the list view) to a number of destinations, including S Note (where it remains as a separate thing but still is a start).
The Following User Says Thank You to xclub_101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd December 2013, 09:19 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclub_101

Actually you can "Send" the Action Note (from the list view) to a number of destinations, including S Note (where it remains as a separate thing but still is a start).

I didn't know that. Not ideal as it converts the note to an image but better than nothing.
So far my preferred method is sending the action note to the browser and then copying it back out from the search box.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
action memo, papyrus, s-note, s-pen
Previous Thread Next Thread