Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,117 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moisture Under Glass

Tip us?

blickley
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Moisture Under Glass

I've seen some threads about this on other tabs, like the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but not on the Asus tablets yet. On my TF701T, I noticed over the past month that when I take it out of the case I have for it (a neoprene case with a zipper), it has a spot in the middle about the size of two quarters that looks like moisture under the glass.

Within a few seconds of turning it on (and sometimes not even turning it on), it disappears by quickly getting smaller and smaller into the center.

All of this, not a big deal.

However, last night I saw something even more odd....the spot disappeared with the exception of a ring of moisture (instead of a full circle) that stayed and wouldn't go away (again, slightly larger than a quarter). Touching parts of the screen would jiggle the ring. It seems like something was happening in the LCD display.

In the past when it went away, I assumed the screen was warming up and causing it to go away. However since it didn't this time, I thought something was damaged.

I saw a bizarre thread somewhere that suggested to put it in the fridge or freezer for a short time and the cooling would make it go away....if I remember correctly, it may have implied that the LCD and digitizer where touching or stuck together. I figured, what the heck, I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes. When I got it out, it was nice an cold, and the spot was gone.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone know anything about what this would occur and why the cold would fix it?

Thanks,
chris
The Following User Says Thank You to blickley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

derekk1
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I had exactly the same issue you described. The moisture spot would always go away eventually. However, one day, while in use, the screen suddenly died. The tablet was still working fine (confirmed with an hdmi cable). I was unlocked, so the tablet became useless. I have no idea if the moisture and screen failures were related or not, but if you are not unlocked, I'd probably try to get it repaired.

I suspect that what you and I have is a gap between the LCD and the digitizer. We have (3) tf701t's in our house now and no moisture spots yet on any of them.

Hope this helps.

blickley
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1 View Post
I had exactly the same issue you described. The moisture spot would always go away eventually. However, one day, while in use, the screen suddenly died. The tablet was still working fine (confirmed with an hdmi cable). I was unlocked, so the tablet became useless. I have no idea if the moisture and screen failures were related or not, but if you are not unlocked, I'd probably try to get it repaired.

I suspect that what you and I have is a gap between the LCD and the digitizer. We have (3) tf701t's in our house now and no moisture spots yet on any of them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, good to know. I am unfortunately already rooted and running sbdags rom. It is interesting that it only happens when I have had it in the case for a little while. Hadn't happened again for about a week, but started happened again last night. Fortunately, it went away on its own again very quickly. Oh well, it is what it is.

marcmarshall
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickley View Post
I've seen some threads about this on other tabs, like the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but not on the Asus tablets yet. On my TF701T, I noticed over the past month that when I take it out of the case I have for it (a neoprene case with a zipper), it has a spot in the middle about the size of two quarters that looks like moisture under the glass.

Within a few seconds of turning it on (and sometimes not even turning it on), it disappears by quickly getting smaller and smaller into the center.

All of this, not a big deal.

However, last night I saw something even more odd....the spot disappeared with the exception of a ring of moisture (instead of a full circle) that stayed and wouldn't go away (again, slightly larger than a quarter). Touching parts of the screen would jiggle the ring. It seems like something was happening in the LCD display.

In the past when it went away, I assumed the screen was warming up and causing it to go away. However since it didn't this time, I thought something was damaged.

I saw a bizarre thread somewhere that suggested to put it in the fridge or freezer for a short time and the cooling would make it go away....if I remember correctly, it may have implied that the LCD and digitizer where touching or stuck together. I figured, what the heck, I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes. When I got it out, it was nice an cold, and the spot was gone.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone know anything about what this would occur and why the cold would fix it?

Thanks,
chris
I have also noticed the same spot after pulling my tablet out of the neoprene case. I have been getting itchy to root but now I will hold off. Maybe I should try the freezer fix?

Thanks for post!
Samsung Galaxy SIII T-Mo, stock rooted root_66
Asus Transformer TF-701t- CROMi-X 7.0
Thanks to mrRobinson and sbdags!