Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 47,903 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I give this tab another go?

Tip us?

ixl4
Old
(Last edited by ixl4; 27th January 2014 at 05:04 AM.) Reason: Spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] Should I give this tab another go?

Hey guys here's a little background.
I've had just about every well known tablet ever put out...

After selling my beloved nexus 10, I bought the note 10.1 2014 as my latest tablet and honestly hated a few things...
The screen. I could clearly make out pixels. the tiny bezels I would find myself accidentally touching the sides of the screen unwanted. Finally the physical home and back button with no screen buttons. When in portrait mode, I would have to hit the back button on the bottom (side at this angle) of the tablet to go back and that would just be very awkward... So it's gone.

I also played with a 701t and liked the screen much better, could not make out the pixels. but am not too crazy about thick bezel size. I understand they need to be that to work with the dock but the dock itself is troublesome and I am waiting for definite news of fixed issues.

After years and years of android only, I am writing this post from my new iPad air 32gb. I didn't want to be one of the ignorant people that knocks apple without trying their product first. I love the screen resolution and think the ratio works well, but I miss the android environment dearly. I can say I gave this a go and now am ready to be sure that android is far superior to iOS. I only paid 440 for a brand new sealed 32gb air so I won't lose money selling it.

Having said that, I am sick and tired of waiting for a new nexus 10 device and am thinking of getting another 701t for a daily driver. I guess what I am looking for is a bit of convincing on why this would be the right choice. How is the tegra for gaming? How is the daily experience?

I am continuously looking for perfection and understand well that it doesn't exist, but I do like having things close to it.

Looking forward to some responses from you 701t owners.

Thanks in advance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ixl4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AngryDinosaur
Old
Thanks Meter 378

DONATE TO ME
The tablet running CromiX has performance optimization, less software issues than Asus stock, less bloat as well. The dock yes has problem but if you hold off on buying it they week fix it. The hardware is decent, I fixed the loose screen bezel on my own no problem now. With this price range and performance you only have this and note 10.1 which is 100$ more

Sent from my Note II using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE II
[ROM][TW4.4]*eZKAT*| Official | N3/S5 Features |
ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER TF101
[ROM][JB 4.2.2] [ KatKiss-4.2.2 #226 ]
ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER TF701T
[ROM]★★[JB 4.3][CROMi-X 6.1]★★

xRevilatioNx
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Love my device. Owned the whole Transformer line. Best of the bunch, and not even close!

Sent from my New Transformer Infinity Pad TF701T using Tapatalk HD
Looking for free cloud storage? Sign up under my Dropbox referral link and we'll both get 500 MB of bonus space: http://db.tt/pgIIvF5w [After signing up don't forget to install Dropbox on your computer and login or none of us will get the bonus.]

~THE TRANSFORMER INFINITY -- THE NEXT TRANSFORMATION~

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 751
I agree, the TF701 is the best so far. It's so fast out of the box that for me there's only one reason to unlock and custom rom it: I find it boring to just use it - gotta play with it.
The TF700 introduced me to flashing. It was so goddarn buggy and slow - I just couldn't stand it (and I will be forever grateful for that). The 701 is a great device out of the box. My only gripe is that I still like the screen on the 700 much better. Everything seems either pale or yellowish on the 701 and yes - I've maxed out the few options the Splendid app provides.

david90531
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Even with all these problems with the dock and bezel fitting issues, I still have to say I'm glad I went with Transformer once again (upgrading from Prime). The big boost in specs really made this tablet a lot more productive than the Prime, and not to mention the great WiFi signal finally makes browsing worth-while on this machine.
If you're on the fence because of the dock, I would suggest to wait for another few month and wait for the corrected batch, hopefully Asus will pick up their game about that. Or you could also get a separate bluetooth keyboard, not as convenient but might work better in the end. I am currently on my 4th dock and even though it's another Oct one, it seems to be the best so far and hardly disconnects, so unless it acts out again within 30 days, I will be keeping the dock.

beady_uk
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I just wanted to mention this here.

If anyone in the UK is looking to buy one of these then i recommend amazon. I had 3 from ebuyer and they were all 10.2013 models and had the dock disconnection issue. Ebuyer customer service is 5 star and exchanged the defective tablets without an issue but after 3 i thought i would give amazon a try and they have 2013.12 models and the dock connection in snug like the TF201. I have only just received it so cant tell if there is any other issues yet but the dock is a 100% better fit.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beady_uk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

devilsaces
Old
(Last edited by devilsaces; 28th January 2014 at 09:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by beady_uk View Post

If anyone in the UK is looking to buy one of these then i recommend amazon. I had 3 from ebuyer and they were all 10.2013 models and had the dock disconnection issue. Ebuyer customer service is 5 star and exchanged the defective tablets without an issue but after 3 i thought i would give amazon a try and they have 2013.12 models and the dock connection in snug like the TF201. I have only just received it so cant tell if there is any other issues yet but the dock is a 100% better fit.

Thanks
Is the Dock the 12.2013 model? or the Tablet? You are the one of the few to say they received a December build. I have an October tablet and a November dock.
HTC Droid DNA - ViperDNA
Asus TF701T - Stock for now
Nexus 7 - CM10

marcmarshall
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by beady_uk View Post

Thanks
I have had 7 docks, 5 from Amazon USA, and all had the disconnect issue. I like th TF701, it replaces my TF101, but I am about ready to give up. Amazon has been great with customer service but the product is defective. BTW, one of those docks was an 11.2013 manufacture.
Samsung Galaxy SIII T-Mo, stock rooted root_66
Asus Transformer TF-701t- not rooted yet

david90531
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hm this December dock thing is making me consider sending this one back again, since it still disconnect occasionally, and also the number 5 key became sticky and gets stuck for half a second since 2 days ago... Hopefully my next dock will be the magical December dock

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 751
By all means! Keep sending them back until you get one that works 100% - as you are entitled to!