Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Does using a longer usb cable effect charging?

OP james_lpool

1st June 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 10

299 posts
More
I now have the new z2 tablet which seems great up to now, i have some touch issues at first, but since installing and using apex it seems to have gone.

anyway, im a bit annoyed with sony for moving the charging port to the top as i thought it was much better on the bottom, i could just sit with it and have it still charging, now being on the top it feels a bit strange being on charge and a little in the way, plus where i usually sit with it, the cable now feels too short.

so i was wondering if i got a 2m cable, would it actually effect the charge at all, or would it be exactly the same?

on ebay i have found a 2m cable which is only 2.95 it says its a charge cable, although one thing puzzled me, was that it says in the desc that its ideal for charging using a compatible 2000 mah adapter, but as far as i know, sony have stupidly left their charger as 1500 haven't they?

i can't understand why sony keep opting for this speed when all others seem to do 2000 or alightly more, it just leads to the tablet not always charging properly when you are also using it.

anyway, does anyone know if i will be lowering my charging power / speed if i get a 2m cable?

thanks

James
2nd June 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
It is not the capacity (mAh) but the charging current (mA) that counts.
This tablet has a (very?) long charging time and thus a low charging current.
A cable with a little bit extra resistance won't make a big difference then.
I bought a cheap magnetic cable (1m) and am perfectly happy with it.
3rd June 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

67 posts
I'm in the process of testing the various cables and chargers I got at home (about a dozen of chargers and twice as many cables).

The first noticeable things: they are definitely not all equal and the provided ones are NOT the best.

So far there's only one charger that provides more than 1A CONSISTENTLY and it only works with the shorter cables (I got between 1.1 and 1.2 A with a 1m cable vs <>0.8A with a 2m one).

I started testing because I think the biggest bug with this tablet is NOT the touch problem ( i only updated yesterday and did not use it very much since but it seems resolved with the last update) but it can't charge when using power hungry apps. I've been playing XCOM a lot lately and NONE of my chargers/cable can keep up with the power consumption while playing.

But yes cable length does matter.
3rd June 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 50

230 posts
Through my testing, i would say that shorter cable gives me lower resistance=better charging rate. Tested with 3 different length, 21.5CM, 1M, 2M. 21.5CM cable gives me the best result
3rd June 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 9

102 posts
20cm or 2m, realistic the difference is not gonna be noticeable at all. The difference in resistance is negligible.

Sent fra min SGP511 via Tapatalk
3rd June 2014, 08:53 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

59 posts
my 512 charges faster if I plug in the cable into the port then it does if I use the magnetic adapter and the same cable using the bottom, and also charges faster in the dock then it does using the magnetic adapter. Go figure.....
4th June 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 257

698 posts
With low quality cables, longer distances can absolutely affect charging rates.
4th June 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #8  

67 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felborn

20cm or 2m, realistic the difference is not gonna be noticeable at all. The difference in resistance is negligible.

Sent fra min SGP511 via Tapatalk

If I had not measured the current myself I'd tend to agree but the differences I observed are real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by se1000

With low quality cables, longer distances can absolutely affect charging rates.

That was my thoughts too. I got I few long cables laying around , I'll check if I get the same results with them all
4th June 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 257

698 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarou

If I had not measured the current myself I'd tend to agree but the differences I observed are real.

That was my thoughts too. I got I few long cables laying around , I'll check if I get the same results with them all

One great way to tell is some cables have the gauge of the wires printed on the outside of the cable. I believe 28/28 is minimum for USB 2.0 but that is for 500ma charging. Look for 28/24 or better (lower numbers are better), especially for longer cables.
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #10  

67 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1000

One great way to tell is some cables have the gauge of the wires printed on the outside of the cable. I believe 28/28 is minimum for USB 2.0 but that is for 500ma charging. Look for 28/24 or better (lower numbers are better), especially for longer cables.

Thanks, I did not know about wire gauges.

Unfortunatly, it does not seem like it easy to know which gauges a cable use, I've got 7 different cables on my desk right know and none of the have the information printed on. I'll check the rest when I get home.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread