Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 54,009 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] [Link] ViPER4Android: The best sound mod for Android [Root Required]

Tip us?

docnok63
Old
(Last edited by docnok63; 25th March 2014 at 04:10 AM.) Reason: Updated instructions for newer version
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Audio [APP] [Link] ViPER4Android: The best sound mod for Android [Root Required]

All credit for these apps goes to @viper520. Shoutout to @zhuhang for maintaining the thread here on xda and creating some NICE impulse response samples,

I've been using ViPER4Android (V4A) for all my recent devices including the Droid DNA, S3, and the S4. So, naturally, I needed to get it on my Note 3 ASAP. There's two apps as part of this sound mod, but one is optional. The main app is called ViPER4Android FX. The current version is 2.3.1.1 and is compatible with stock rooted VZN Note 3. I use the optional app, ViPER4Android XHiFi, for superior bass and treble adjustment.

The newer versions of V4A allow for both system and user installations, but I've always installed it as a system app to ensure that it works 100% of the time (including watching movies with MX Player, YouTube, streaming with Google Play Music, etc.) So, my N3 installation instructions are as follows (note: your device MUST be rooted):

1) Download the app(s) from the original xda thread. Extract the 4.x versions of the apks from the .zip files.

2) Push both apks to system\app. Reboot so permissions get automatically fixed or manually change to rw-r-r-. (First screenie using Root Explorer).

3) Launch each app separately. Grant root access to each of them to install their drivers. They'll both prompt you to install drivers on first launch. Choose "Super Audio Quality" driver for FX. We have a quad core processor, so it can easily handle it. XHiFi is being phased out but still adds a richness I can't find in using FX alone. You must manually choose the bottom option. Reboot so it automatically fixes the permissions of the newly installed drivers.

4) After reboot, immediately go to settings\sound\music effects and choose ViPER4Android FX as the default sound processor (second screenie).

5) Open up /system/build.prop in text editor using any file explorer with root access. Change these lines (the bottom two apply to the VZN N3):

Code:
Ipa.decode=true to lpa.decode=false 
tunnel.decode=true to tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=true to lpa.use-stagefright=false
6) Plug your headphones and start your favorite music app. Start up FX and enable it at the top and then check the driver status. If everything says you're processing, you're good to go. Enjoy the BEST sound on Android.

This is my tried and true installation. You can see from screenies 3 and 4 that it's definitely work on my N3. I'm not sure if installing it as a user app (just clicking the FX apk) will work or not as I didn't even try it. YMMV.

UPDATE: Tip for newer versions since this post was created:

Using the convolver is one of the most important things you can add to customize sound to your liking. You can access the convolver by going the UI Setting in the menu and selecting Moderate or Expert. The app will close and when you open it again, it will be under the equalizer. Once enabled, Download and extract IRS files to <storage>/ViPER4Android/Kernel/<paste files here>. If the directory doesn't exist, simply create it using a file manager. IRS's can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2216193
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v4a_1.jpg
Views:	6103
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2352301   Click image for larger version

Name:	v4a_2.jpg
Views:	5795
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	2352302   Click image for larger version

Name:	v4a_3.jpg
Views:	5529
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2352303   Click image for larger version

Name:	v4a_4.jpg
Views:	5027
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2352304  
My is rollin' wit...
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to docnok63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dclutter1
Old
(Last edited by dclutter1; 27th October 2013 at 01:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
I've seen this mentioned before but I'm not super familiar with it. Does this make THAT much of a difference? Everything sounds amazing on my N3 after my Galaxy Nexus.

I'm going to head over to the thread to check it out but I'd like to hear anything else you guys have to say about it.

Thanks for the guide.

docnok63
Old
(Last edited by docnok63; 21st January 2014 at 02:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclutter1 View Post
I've seen this mentioned before but I'm not super familiar with it. Does this make THAT much of a difference? Everything sounds amazing on my N3 after my Galaxy Nexus.

I'm going to head over to the thread to check it out but I'd like to hear anything else you guys have to say about it.

Thanks for the guide.
Yes, the difference is VERY drastic. You'll notice it as soon as you begin tinkering. I'd post my settings, but everyone has their own sound preferences. The great thing is, this mod accommodates all musical tastes. As you see from my screenies, I let FX do most of the work, as it should, and only use XHiFi's Audio Reconstruct feature.

You're welcome for the guide. Post back in here how you like it/any installation problems I can help with.
My is rollin' wit...
The Following User Says Thank You to docnok63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smalltownbird
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I use it for blue tooth through my cars radio. It takes the sound quality from crappy factory speakers to the point where I see no need to replace them

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to smalltownbird For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

teejaymarx
Old
Thanks Meter 283
Does this work for the regular speakers, like speakerphone, ringtones/notifications? My issue is that everything seems too quiet. Will this help me?

Thanks!
VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Stock Rooted

docnok63
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaymarx View Post
Does this work for the regular speakers, like speakerphone, ringtones/notifications? My issue is that everything seems too quiet. Will this help me?

Thanks!
Yes, it affects sound coming out of the regular speaker including speakerphone, but does not boost ringtones or notifications. I think this thread will help with that. Which reminds me...

I've been messing with V4A for so long, I forgot to include the instructions for Samsung devices in this post in my original guide. Fixing now.
My is rollin' wit...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docnok63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SOTK
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Followed instructions. This mod is not working. Under processing, it says "No".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

docnok63
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTK View Post
Followed instructions. This mod is not working. Under processing, it says "No".
I know this sounds crazy, but that's usually not the important part. The important thing is if you can tell the difference in sound. If there's no modification, then there's a problem. Have you tried other music players? Have you tried the steps here?
My is rollin' wit...

ssmaster
Old
Thanks Meter 19
When I go to the settings -> Sound -> Music Effects, it force closes. Otherwise, the mod sounds like it is working.

shawnten
Old
Thanks Meter 106
The only problem with the updated fx is there is no max gain now so it's not any louder

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app

Tags
sound mod, v4a, viper4android