Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,738 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Photo Review] SlickWraps Carbon Fiber Wrap for Galaxy S5

Tip us?

chillsen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Default [Photo Review] SlickWraps Carbon Fiber Wrap for Galaxy S5

I had actually never heard of SlickWraps until I saw they were asking for product reviewers. I went ahead like the early adopter that I am and just went ahead and purchased it. As a first time customer, there was a hiccup in the shipping but @slickwraps Weston made sure my order was shipped out and I received it today.

Again nothing to really explain about the installation, it's all on their website. I want to discuss the feel of the wrap and the design of each cut out and the precision of measurements. The texture of the wrap really does feel like carbon fiber and has actual texture, I scrape my nail over it and over each facet it makes a noise to show it has individual texture, awesome.

The cut outs were perfect and it was easy to re-apply once I realized i had either shifted too much or too little (when applying the sides). If you wrap it perfectly using the holes and sensors as a starting guide, the side wraps perfectly.

The back was easy, start with the camera cut-out, and press down on a couple areas to hold it in place and I used a blow dryer for the edges so it easily formed to shape.

I really liked how the sides still show slight chrome all around, it helps to show the original S5 design, and makes the design language as a whole more holistic.

Enough talking, you guys already know what wraps are, check out the attachment pictures and also my full gallery link!

http://imgur.com/a/WBMrL

http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com...&ts=1399146927

http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com...&ts=1399146933

http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com...&ts=1399146946

http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com...&ts=1399146962
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-03 15.08.07.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	2723881   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-03 15.29.04.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	2723882   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-03 15.29.59.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	2723883   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-03 15.34.10.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	2723884  

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chillsen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdaryl
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Looks really sharp. Should protect the phone from surface scratches.
The Following User Says Thank You to bogdaryl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GH0STW1TH1N
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Looks awesome.

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Just checked their website, gotta say the wood series looks pretty sweet.
The Following User Says Thank You to GH0STW1TH1N For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eris _2.1_2010
Old
Thanks Meter 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0STW1TH1N View Post
Looks awesome.

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Just checked their website, gotta say the wood series looks pretty sweet.
I'm liking that alligator skin.

Sent From My Galaxy S5 Far Far Away
The Following User Says Thank You to Eris _2.1_2010 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tdrussell
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Does the vinyl on the screen interfere with edge-swipe actions? I have had issues in the past with cases that come to close to the edge of the screen to reliably perform edge swipe nav (hamburger nav apps, action launcher, etc) and this seems like the worst case scenario for that.
G900V

chillsen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrussell View Post
Does the vinyl on the screen interfere with edge-swipe actions? I have had issues in the past with cases that come to close to the edge of the screen to reliably perform edge swipe nav (hamburger nav apps, action launcher, etc) and this seems like the worst case scenario for that.
it doesn't because it only covers the edge where there is a bit of bezel. the cut out is perfect so you can view only the screen. I do not think the swipe actions can be detected on the side bezels.

with that said, i actually took the front off because it was collecting finger grease and dust on the corners and edges. it was kind of gross when i took it off (the vinyl came off w/o a problem and very clean btw), i swear there was a visible height of the dust and gunk that collected. Since I got the black S5, it looks really good and seamless with the carbon fiber theme and looks even better now i think.

slickwraps
Old
Thanks Meter 634
Big Thanks!

Weston

mickeywdw1254
Old
(Last edited by mickeywdw1254; 11th May 2014 at 09:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Wrong thread!

Airax
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Something to note with these sticker style wraps. They don't play nice with cases. Particularly around the edge. If you take the case on/off it tends to rub and eventually pull the sides off the phone. This happens with every phone but on the S5 the ridged edges mean it doesn't have as much surface to adhear to so gets pulled. Shame really as I put this kind of stuff on almost every phone I buy.

-Airax

chillsen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeywdw1254 View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
weird, yours came with slits on the back vinyl corners. my black carbon fiber did not. it holds well though with the blow dryer method.