Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to force 3G Only?

Tip us?

knickfan5745
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default How to force 3G Only?

On my Samsung Phone's there was usually a USSD code you could put in to force 3G. My phone will often switch to 2g when there is only 0-1 bars of 3G but I want it to stay on 3G. Any ideas on how to do this on a non-rooted U.S. Moto G?

S0bes
Old
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
If your phone running 4.4.2 then go to settings->more->mobile networks->network mode
The Following User Says Thank You to S0bes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

2hipso
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0bes View Post
If your phone running 4.4.2 then go to settings->more->mobile networks->network mode
and I think the same or similar way to do that is in 4.3

Motorola Moto G - 8GB (not rooted) | System version: Retail.en.DE | Android version: 4.4.2 KitKat
If my post was helpful, just hit the THANKS button
The Following User Says Thank You to 2hipso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knickfan5745
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
As far as I can tell, that only changes the preferred network mode. It will still fall back to 2G if there is no 3G. I want 3G only, no switching back and forth.

gatto.nero
Old
Thanks Meter 1
if *#*#4636#*#* works then go in phone information and Set preferred network type to wcdma only
(this must be done at every boot)

alessandro
The Following User Says Thank You to gatto.nero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knickfan5745
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
As soon as I type it in it disapears and no menu pops up. I'm in KitKat OTA. That code did used to work on my Samsung though.

kieranc88
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickfan5745 View Post
As soon as I type it in it disapears and no menu pops up. I'm in KitKat OTA. That code did used to work on my Samsung though.
Are you rooted? Because if you are install xposed framework and then gravitybox,in gravity box you can add quick tiles,one if those quick tiles is a network mode tile and you can enable 2g,3g or both

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranc88 View Post
Are you rooted? Because if you are install xposed framework and then gravitybox,in gravity box you can add quick tiles,one if those quick tiles is a network mode tile and you can enable 2g,3g or both
But depending on your network,will you not lose signal completely when on 3g mode only?, as networks use 2g as a backup for when 3g signal drops,
The Following User Says Thank You to kieranc88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

serophia
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Download phone testing by diewland go phone setting then choose wcdma preferred or wcdma only

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to serophia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knickfan5745
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranc88 View Post

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

But depending on your network,will you not lose signal completely when on 3g mode only?, as networks use 2g as a backup for when 3g signal drops,
Yes I know it will lose network sometimes, I'm ok with that.

I am not rooted. I moved to vanilla android so I wouldn't have to root and change roms. Can I root this phone without reinstalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serophia View Post
Download phone testing by diewland go phone setting then choose wcdma preferred or wcdma only

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app
That looks like exactly the menu *#*#4646#*#* does (which isn't working for some reason as a USSD Code.). Perfect, thank you.

kieranc88
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Yes I know it will lose network sometimes, I'm ok with that.

I am not rooted. I moved to vanilla android so I wouldn't have to root and change roms. Can I root this phone without reinstalling?

That looks like exactly the menu *#*#4646#*#* does (which isn't working for some reason as a USSD Code.). Perfect, thank you.
No,it would wipe your phone once you unlock your boot loader to begin the root process

The Following User Says Thank You to kieranc88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]