Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,784 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signal reception: M8 vs S4

Tip us?

rushless
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 267
Default Signal reception: M8 vs S4

Anybody that used to have a Verizon S4 now with an M8 notice any difference with radio (data and phone) reception? The S4 is average and not a standout for signal reception. I would expect the S5 to be like the S4 for reception.

New device pixie dust can bias opinion until the pixie dust effect wears off, but hoping for some obectivity

oneandroidnut
Old
Thanks Meter 350
m8 has better signal then my note 3 and i thought note 3 had about the same maybe slightly better then s4
Currents:
Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition Hyperdrive RLS 7
LG G3 Rooted/Recovery Awaiting Roms/Kernels
One Plus One 64 GB Black For sale- http://swappa.com/listing/UFP151/view
Sold:
HTC One M8, HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X

ch0use
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm feeling like i get a stronger single on the M8 than the S4. Granted the LTE signal isn't that strong out here but the M8 maybe adds another bar for me.

ocman40
Old
(Last edited by ocman40; 1st April 2014 at 04:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 115
HTCs radios are superior to Samsung's period end of story. HTCs hardware and build quality are superior end of story. Now Samsung makes the bomb tv's though!
VzW M8 Badseed Tester always running latest Tranquil One!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ocman40 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

travisryans
Old
Thanks Meter 5
^ What he said.

I'm coming from the S3 on Verizon. My phone would die after 5 hours in my house due to terrible reception. I can now make it 1.5 days with moderate use in my home without having to charge it. I can even send text messages from my couch now. Weee

-T
Device: HTC one M8 on Big Red
Rom: Stock

bakemcbride21
Old
Thanks Meter 99
A little off topic and it's by no means scientific...but I'm in a very good LTE area and in the basement my DNA still gets 1-2 bars of LTE...the M8 only gets 3G..and if I force LTE only...no connection on the M8.

So I'd say my DNA has better signal reception...but then again I'm getting a new replacement M8 tomorrow as this one randomly reboots all the time...so I'll reserve final judgement until I have a proper working M8
The Following User Says Thank You to bakemcbride21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xShin
Old
Thanks Meter 26
The M8 has a better radio, with support for AWS bands so that it can connect to Verizon's LTE-A network. Faster speeds + less people using the network = profit for us
HTC One M8 S-OFF running InsertCoin

HTC One M7 (Stock) - Retired
HTC Droid DNA S-OFF'd using revone - Retired
HTC Rezound S-OFF - Retired
HTC Droid Incredible - Retired

ericerk
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShin View Post
The M8 has a better radio, with support for AWS bands so that it can connect to Verizon's LTE-A network. Faster speeds + less people using the network = profit for us
The S4 also has AWS support.
Click Here!!!

topaz330
Old
Thanks Meter 6
i always found the best antenna on Motorola phones followed by HTC, then samsung. In my basement I get good signal with the maxx i had, sketchy signal with my s3 and s4, and acceptable signal from the m8.

rushless
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakemcbride21 View Post
A little off topic and it's by no means scientific...but I'm in a very good LTE area and in the basement my DNA still gets 1-2 bars of LTE...the M8 only gets 3G..and if I force LTE only...no connection on the M8.

So I'd say my DNA has better signal reception...but then again I'm getting a new replacement M8 tomorrow as this one randomly reboots all the time...so I'll reserve final judgement until I have a proper working M8
My son has the DNA and is also better than my S4 for reception.