Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is it possible to get TouchWiz or TouchWiz features on a Nexus 5?

OP jvnanu

8th June 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
My father-in-law's birthday is on Sunday and his family wanted to get him a new phone. He's had a Tab Pro 8.4 for a few months and he's become quite enthralled with it. For continuity's sake, they want to get him an S4 or S5. Both are $700 off contract. I'm wondering, is there a way to spend half that, get a Nexus 5, and somehow simulate all or most TouchWiz features through a custom ROM? Keep in mind, this gentleman likely won't be playing with any of the settings or features or more complex aspects of a custom ROM, simply looking for familiar UI. I'd be the one unlocking/rooting and flashing the custom ROM and he'd probably just go from there. Just something to keep in mind.

Any thoughts? The alternative is grabbing an S4 off eBay for about $550
8th June 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #2  
Sydney
Thanks Meter: 16

90 posts
Just get him a nexus tablet and phone and tell him to forget ever having a Samsung...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
8th June 2014, 02:56 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigstew

Just get him a nexus tablet and phone and tell him to forget ever having a Samsung...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Heh. Would be cheaper to get an N5 and N10 than an S5 eh? Unfortunately, that's not what I asked.
8th June 2014, 08:44 AM   |  #4  
Flag Moshav Matityahu
Thanks Meter: 75

480 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnanu

My father-in-law's birthday is on Sunday and his family wanted to get him a new phone. He's had a Tab Pro 8.4 for a few months and he's become quite enthralled with it. For continuity's sake, they want to get him an S4 or S5. Both are $700 off contract. I'm wondering, is there a way to spend half that, get a Nexus 5, and somehow simulate all or most TouchWiz features through a custom ROM? Keep in mind, this gentleman likely won't be playing with any of the settings or features or more complex aspects of a custom ROM, simply looking for familiar UI. I'd be the one unlocking/rooting and flashing the custom ROM and he'd probably just go from there. Just something to keep in mind.

Any thoughts? The alternative is grabbing an S4 off eBay for about $550

you can use the cm10/11 custom rom, and then use the touchwiz theme by thomassafca (search on play store)
8th June 2014, 02:34 PM   |  #5  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 159

393 posts
More
better get him an S4
8th June 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch9

better get him an S4

Yeah. I actually found a way to get the S4 for $350 on a $150tab with a cheaper monthly plan through a different carrier than he's currently with.

Thanks guys!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread