FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] Only getting HSDPA:9 on T-Mobile and not HSPAP:15

4,118 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,717

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have a s3 for T-Mobile and up until a few weeks ago I would always get H+ and when I would look in the settings>status>mobile network type I would have hspap:15 or UMTS:3 for 3G. Now I am only getting 3G/H or HSDPA:9, and when I was on an AOSP rom I would get HSDPA:8 instead of the full H+. Also my speeds are letting them average and my ping time. My network also keeps turning off and then back on randomly. I was wondering if anyone knew of this problem and knew how to fix it.. I already factory reset, Odin to stock, and completely redone everything. I don't know if it helps but I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida. It is right next to Tampa

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

14th February 2013, 06:30 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Largo
Thanks Meter: 1,717

Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Only getting HSDPA:9 on T-Mobile and not HSPAP:15
This is what comes up when I am downloading something
http://db.tt/UEQWaCvf

This is what is there when no data is going through.. Also known as FAST DORMANCY
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360866419015.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1729883

These are the speeds I would get before the mishap

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360866522059.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1729885

This is what I get now

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360866574118.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1729888
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360866332220.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1729880  
Last edited by ktetreault14; 14th February 2013 at 06:38 PM.
6th August 2013, 08:17 PM |#3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,514

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktetreault14

This is what comes up when I am downloading something
http://db.tt/UEQWaCvf

This is what is there when no data is going through.. Also known as FAST DORMANCY
Attachment 1729883

These are the speeds I would get before the mishap
Attachment 1729885

This is what I get now
Attachment 1729888

And did your solve your problem? Because I am experiencing the same symptoms.
7th August 2013, 12:55 AM |#4  
Flag Clearwater, Florida
Thanks Meter: 233

More
I live in Clearwater, FL and I'm using 4.2.2 Illusion Rom. My speeds are usually pretty decent, but I do fluctuate between the H & H+. When I lived in Minneapolis, I would always get hspa42. Not sure why I don't see this anymore. Maybe it's from always flashing AOSP/AOKP Roms. I'd like some information as well. Peace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using xda premium
7th August 2013, 07:26 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
I dont fluctuate between H and H+. For about 2 months I lost H+ completely on ANY rom (AOSP and Touchwiz) and on any modem that i was previously using and getting H+. It does seem to be the same issue as the OP had, that's why i revived this old thread. All my friends that have the i9300 have the H+ symbol and getting up to 15-20Mbit download.
7th August 2013, 09:38 AM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,586

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2metz

I live in Clearwater, FL and I'm using 4.2.2 Illusion Rom. My speeds are usually pretty decent, but I do fluctuate between the H & H+. When I lived in Minneapolis, I would always get hspa42. Not sure why I don't see this anymore. Maybe it's from always flashing AOSP/AOKP Roms. I'd like some information as well. Peace

Clearwater may not have been "modernized" yet. Even if they rolled out LTE there, doesnt mean they have upgraded to HSPA +42 also. The fluctuation is perfectly normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar`

I dont fluctuate between H and H+. For about 2 months I lost H+ completely on ANY rom (AOSP and Touchwiz) and on any modem that i was previously using and getting H+. It does seem to be the same issue as the OP had, that's why i revived this old thread. All my friends that have the i9300 have the H+ symbol and getting up to 15-20Mbit download.

Are you guys checking the Network Type in Settings > About Device > Status, while a download is running? These phones are intended to drop to 2g/3g while idle. (hence the changing back and forth in the status bar. This part is rom dependant though. some will, some wont)

What does it say for Network Type while Idle? While downloading? What model is your phone?

In Settings > More Settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile Networks, is Network Mode set to GSM/WCDMA (Auto Mode)? Is the APN set to fast.tmobile.com?
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2013, 08:52 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
My is epc.tmobile.com should I change it.

Sent from my SGH-T999
9th August 2013, 09:58 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

Donate to Me
More
You can try it. I assume it'll only make a difference where LTE and HSPA+42 has been deployed, but I could be wrong.

11th August 2013, 06:26 PM |#9  
Flag Clearwater, Florida
Thanks Meter: 233

More
My phone shows UMTS when idle and HSPA+ when downloading or in use. I have my APN set at epc.tmobile.com. Although I have heard that some people are getting better data speed using fast.t-mobile.com. I can't really tell the difference. About 90% of the time I have my network mode set at GSM/WCDMA Preferred. But in my apartment I have really spotty coverage, so I often switch over to LTE/WCDMA Preferred. This seems to get a much stronger H+ signal for some reason. It's kind of a lot of screwing around to get a decent signal.

11th August 2013, 06:39 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

Donate to Me
More
Have you tried other modems? These do affect signal strength as well as data speeds.

23rd August 2013, 10:32 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
What solved it for me was a restore of efs.... Yeah, I went ahead and restored the efs partition i had backed up when i bought the phone. H+ is now back. I believe some ROM/Modem must have changed some information in the efs limiting me to 8MBit/sec download on any network. Funny what flashing stock ROMs for different regions can do

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)