XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A Warning about using Beijing iPhone Repair

Tip us?

sparkyuiop
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default A Warning about using Beijing iPhone Repair

Some time ago I came across a company online called ‘Beijing iPhone Repair dot com’ (spelt as I do not wish to create a web link to their website) that said they could unblock / clean IMEI numbers that had been blacklisted from the UK IMEI blacklist database.

Well I had an iPhone 4 that I bought in a job lot that was blocked and according to Checkmend had been ‘blocked by one or more network providers’ but not reported lost or stolen so I thought I’d give this service a try.

The phone to be, what they term as ‘IMEI cleaned’ had to be on the Orange / T-Mobile / EE network so I checked the Apple iTunes log files and found it was locked to Orange.

I bought the (approx. £35.00GBP) service which was to be completed within seven days. Four days later it was unblocked and working fine so I left some good feedback on their website.

A few months later I read that Beijing iPhone Repairs were now unblocking any mobile phone locked to the Orange / T-Mobile / EE network so I thought I’d try an Android Sony Xperia that I had also bought in a job lot with the same Checkmend reports.

After 7 days I got the email from Beijing iPhone Repair saying the unlock had been done but when I tested the phone it had not. I made a video proving the unblock had not worked (http://youtu.be/tOj9WDZrDQA) then I contacted the company by email and spoke to someone named ‘Jonathan’.

Jonathan has told me that I must wait for their supplier in the UK to inform them the unblock will not work before they refund my money. There was no mention of this condition in the advert but I reluctantly agreed to wait a further 7 days for their supplier to retry the service.

It has now been two months since I bought the service from them and despite many emails they have refused to refund any money to me without the go ahead from their supplier which to be honest I think is just an excuse to cover their theft from me.

I can no longer access their website without using a proxy server as they have blocked my I.P address as they don’t like me speaking about it on their forum page! They have also blocked me from accessing their Facebook page and asking for my refund there too.

So this is just a warning to anyone that is thinking of using ‘Beijing iPhone Repair dot com’, they are dishonest! Also they use PayPal as a payment service and PayPal offers no buyer protection for claims involving the sale of non-physical goods – you will lose the dispute as soon as it is read by PayPal staff, as I found out!

Here is a log of the emails I have received from Jonathan. I hope I have saved some people from their underhand business methods.

TheMiracle
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default S4

The things you have to do to post a bug...

sparkyuiop
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiracle View Post
The things you have to do to post a bug...
Not with you?

Ste_J
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks for the heads up. Another one to add to the list of wicked wide web avoids

sparkyuiop
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_J View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Another one to add to the list of wicked wide web avoids
No problem. It's just a shame they couldn't be honest as the first service was fine and I would have spent much more money with them. If they do ever pay me back I will say so on here but they are not even answering my emails now!

sparkyuiop
Old
(Last edited by sparkyuiop; 16th March 2014 at 06:25 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default Update

Just to update...

After showing them this post and pointing out that Googling 'Beijing iPhone Repair' shows this post directly below their own website they refunded me. (The power of XDA!) They have also blocked my I.P from accessing their website for some reason, assuming I have no idea what a proxy is! It was unnecessary anyway as I have no desire to return to it anyway!

ocelot_gr
Old
(Last edited by ocelot_gr; 1st June 2014 at 10:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
I dont mean to hijack OP's thread, but it seems I also got scammed too :/

Payment proof:
http://img277.imagevenue.com/img.php...907__122_134lo.

GSMHosting thread:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f111.../#post10346642

I quote from there:
BeijingiPhoneRepair.com - This site is a scam
****WARNING TO ANYONE****

This site is a SCAM.
Invoice ID: 14561643
Paid 150$ to this guy for a client's iCloud ID locked device, 50 days ago. No response ever since, no service provided whatsoever. An official claim has been opened in paypal, and a bank one will follow. The guy has not ever respond to any inquiries.
I will be providing details on this on all related websites and forums, if any other fellow unlocker has been scammed as well, pls contact me for info, and make sure you have proof as well. I will be opening a thread on gsmhosting as well on this, and make sure this guy gets what is due from now on.

Regards

UPDATE: Turns out, after i posted this thread's link to his facebook page, he actually dealt with the issue and sent the refund. So, so far so good with him, I cant complain from what it seems.

TheGeeZus
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Is a miracle they are having iPhone unlocked this days with Apple fighting with all providers for their policies (I work for AT&T and is a pain in the @#$ each time a customer complains that requesting an unlock via Internet as only choice to be [& I quote] as a insulting trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A Strong Doesn't Need To Read The Future, He Makes His Own.
  • Current: Google Nexus 5
  • Proud owner/previous user: Motorola Moto Q, BlackBerry Curve 8330-8520, BlackBerry Storm 9350, BlackBerry Torch 9800-10, BlackBerry Z10, HTC Vivid, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Motorola Moto X, Google Nexus 4
  • Tablet: Archos Internet 101, BlackBerry PlayBook
  • Developer of: Planning starting on Pebble and Android by 2014.

ocelot_gr
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeeZus View Post
Is a miracle they are having iPhone unlocked this days with Apple fighting with all providers for their policies (I work for AT&T and is a pain in the @#$ each time a customer complains that requesting an unlock via Internet as only choice to be [& I quote] as a insulting trap.
Actually I am interested on this one mate, as i do provide unlocks online and offline (i run a retail shop and 2 related sites).
I honestly dont get your meaning towards the end of your post, could you please rephrase/analyse it?

Regards

TheGeeZus
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_gr View Post
Actually I am interested on this one mate, as i do provide unlocks online and offline (i run a retail shop and 2 related sites).
I honestly dont get your meaning towards the end of your post, could you please rephrase/analyse it?

Regards
Actually it was Apple by Winter or last year that requires that now every unlock request needs to be done vía Internet per att(dot)com/deviceunlock as an only alternative.

Previously, Customer Service could work and receive instant approval at the phone.

Sorry for the late respond and that my last post was perceived as off-topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A Strong Doesn't Need To Read The Future, He Makes His Own.
  • Current: Google Nexus 5
  • Proud owner/previous user: Motorola Moto Q, BlackBerry Curve 8330-8520, BlackBerry Storm 9350, BlackBerry Torch 9800-10, BlackBerry Z10, HTC Vivid, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Motorola Moto X, Google Nexus 4
  • Tablet: Archos Internet 101, BlackBerry PlayBook
  • Developer of: Planning starting on Pebble and Android by 2014.

Tags
beijing iphone repair, scam, scammers, theft