Ask a question

No registration required

Evo 4g lte won't boot after root attempt

OP RenoHal77

8th June 2014, 08:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hello. I am at a loss. I just received an HTC Evo 4G LTE today and tried to root it with WinDroid Unversal HTC Toolkit v1.1. I unlocked the Bootloader and installed TWRP version 2.7.0.0 and that is working and I can boot into that. I next tried to flash a ROM and any ROM I try I get "error executing updater binary in zip." I read somewhere that I had to wipe data, system, cache, Dalvik and .android_secure. So I used TWRP to do that. Now when I reboot, it says I don't have an OS installed and when I choose to reboot, it just stays on the HTC logo and that's it. I still get the same error when trying to flash a ROM in TWRP. I tried flashing a ROM with fastboot and the latest RUU on HTC's website but it tells me to obtain correct RUU and try again. I don't know what else I can try. I've also tried relocking the bootloader, but then I can't get into recovery and doesn't make a difference with RUU. I just rewiped everything again, but now it won't mount the internal memory. Just the micro sd. I wiped the internal memory and now it will mount, but I just tried to flash a ROM again and get the same "error executing updater binary in zip." I also tried to flash boot.img and that worked ok. Then tried flashing rom using fastboot and got "data length is too large". I even tried fastboot erase cache, fastboot oem rebootRUU then tried flashing again with same results. Now when I turn off the phone and turn it back on, it goes directly to hboot.. can't even get to htc logo now. I would very much like to just go back to stock with no root. Nothing is working, please help
8th June 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 34

185 posts
What HBOOT version are you on? Have u tried the new run from this form or the Viper rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to bryguy9021 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #3  
Flag Hilton Head, SC - Cali, Colombia
Thanks Meter: 1,579

774 posts
Donate to Me
More
Update recovery.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TroNit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy9021

What HBOOT version are you on? Have u tried the new run from this form or the Viper rom?

I am running HBOOT 2.10.0000. Do you mean ROM from this forum? I have not tried either. Originally this all started trying to flash SuperSU.zip and that's when I started getting this error. I tried using: JEWEL_Sense5.5_Android4.3-V4.zip as that seemed the most current version. What ROM would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroNit

Update recovery.

I'm assuming you mean update TWRP. There is 2.7.1.0. I have 2.7.0.0. However, I don't think it was specifically for jewel as I had used the one that came with WinDroid before. This one I downloaded from TWRP's website for this phone. I just updated it.

I think I'll wait to try flashing a ROM again until I get a recommendation of a good one. Thanks for the replies, both of you.
8th June 2014, 07:23 PM   |  #5  
Flag Hilton Head, SC - Cali, Colombia
Thanks Meter: 1,579

774 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoHal77

I am running HBOOT 2.10.0000. Do you mean ROM from this forum? I have not tried either. Originally this all started trying to flash SuperSU.zip and that's when I started getting this error. I tried using: JEWEL_Sense5.5_Android4.3-V4.zip as that seemed the most current version. What ROM would you recommend?

I'm assuming you mean update TWRP. There is 2.7.1.0. I have 2.7.0.0. However, I don't think it was specifically for jewel as I had used the one that came with WinDroid before. This one I downloaded from TWRP's website for this phone. I just updated it.

I think I'll wait to try flashing a ROM again until I get a recommendation of a good one. Thanks for the replies, both of you.

Edited.

Sorry I didn't read it right !

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk
Last edited by TroNit; 8th June 2014 at 09:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TroNit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
I updated TWRP to the version in the link you gave me. I thought I'd try the RUU again from HTC's site after relocking the bootloader, but it doesn't even show I have anything installed. Tried updating, but still getting "Obtain corrent RUU and try again". I want to try JEWEL_Sense5.5_Android4.3-V4.zip from this forum, but I have to go S-OFF. Do I have to be booted into android for this to work or can I do it from fastboot? Couldn't find anywhere where this was clear as I don't have any OS installed. I would like to find out first before I try. I'm about to give up and call it bricked if I can't get it up and running soon. Thanks for any help you can give me
9th June 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #7  
Flag Flint
Thanks Meter: 340

543 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoHal77

I updated TWRP to the version in the link you gave me. I thought I'd try the RUU again from HTC's site after relocking the bootloader, but it doesn't even show I have anything installed. Tried updating, but still getting "Obtain corrent RUU and try again". I want to try JEWEL_Sense5.5_Android4.3-V4.zip from this forum, but I have to go S-OFF. Do I have to be booted into android for this to work or can I do it from fastboot? Couldn't find anywhere where this was clear as I don't have any OS installed. I would like to find out first before I try. I'm about to give up and call it bricked if I can't get it up and running soon. Thanks for any help you can give me

V4 doesn't require s-off also ate you using the modified twrp from captain throwback?

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to gstanke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 34

185 posts
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358543160 newest twrp modified for 2.10 hboot
Did u run the ruu to get to hboot 2.10? Your not soff aleady? I dunno much about sense roms but i know the rest you have to use fastboot for the boot image.. I dont think your bricked
The Following User Says Thank You to bryguy9021 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2014, 01:08 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
I updated TWRP to the one modified by captain throwback in the link you gave me. Wiped everything but Micro SDcard. My bootloader is unlocked and am S-ON (never turned S-OFF) and tried out JEWEL_Sense5.5_Android4.3-V4.zip from this forum. I have hboot 2.10. That's what the phone came with. I'm getting the error: Error excuting updater binary in zip. It gets to Setting up /data/app... , Setting up /system... , Setting up symlinks... then error message. For some reason, I have no /misc. Someone in IRC said that was weird. It seems that my partitions are messed up according to him. Any ideas? Thanks for the help, all of you!
10th June 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #10  
Flag Flint
Thanks Meter: 340

543 posts
More
Did you reboot recovery after wipe but before install?

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to gstanke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread