[Q] Z2 l50u / l50t - sim not working on other roms [Solved]

Search This thread

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
hello everyone,

a friend has recently bought a Sony xperia z2 for me from china and the model i got is the china unicom model (l50u)
the phone is censored on the stock rom it has, cannot use any applications that aren't Chinese government approved i guess (no google play, gmail, etc and you can only download Chinese apps through sony select which is in Chinese and cannot be changed)

this phone model is physically different than the rest of the sony xperia z2 (2.2mm taller, no mic holes, different slot locations )
anyway i unlocked the bootloader (before i really knew what it means, i wanted to root the phone) and then i flashed it with some other official roms using flashtool

when the phone runs on a different rom, everything works great except for the sim not working (the phone is supposedly simfree as it recognizes my not-china-unicom sim) and when its on the stock rom only the sim works and the phone is pretty much useless to me but a weird camera

before i started noobing around the device i updated its firmware through Sony's pc program which gave me the files to create the ftf file from and some more TA files in which one of the is called simlock.ta

i tried installing Emma and see if the phone is registered as simlocked but i couldn't get it to work (it seem like it is no longer for non-sony employees people)

so i ask you. is there any way for me to use this phone with a different official rom and make the sim work with it? is there anything i should know about? any help is appriciated as im new to this community (which i enjoyed lurking around in the past) and to this area in android devices (as i was quite pleased with the Os as is on previous devices)

thank you for your time, and keep being a great community
any help is appreciated

Phone's Details :
CV: 1285-4242_R13A
Model :L50u
FW: 17.1.f.0.60
Brand :China Unicom

Sim lock status on service window is all 0
DRM keys are gone [unknown error][active]

today i solved this problem with the help of Olberd and Chesterr

First i flashed to Generic Euro Rom from this thread
using Flashtool
then i rooted the phone using EasyRoot V8(check if your device works with it in it's current state)
then i installed SuperSU
then i installed Nut's Dual Recovery(locked) [you can probably check for a newer version and or change to an unlocked bootloader version]
then i flashed the radio drivers:
for the L50t (given to me by Olberd): Here
for the L50u (made by me using Olberd's files as a base*): Here
(put the driver zip on the root folder of the phone, restart and press the volume down button when the phone vibrates, untill the blue led lights, navigate to "flash zip.." and choose the driver zip)
now both the phone and the sim work, so far everything works fine ill update if there are any issues with the phone.

thanks everyone for your time and help!
*: take any of these 2 zip files and put your current original firmware's radio drivers - i used a root browser on the original firmware to get the radio drivers (copied them to a folder i can access normally on the phone) [search for the files you see in the zip].
NOTE : Use the drivers suitable for your phone, although they work on both phones they cause weird shutting down issues when installed on the wrong phone

Update
: i checked all the links and wrote notes about EasyRoot , Nut's Duel Recovery and how to make the flashable zip file . i'm sorry but i cannot help with newer problems because i dont have this phone anymore as i posted before. i got some PMs and emails from sony support forum and im redirecting people here.

Update 2: apparently the google drive link became locked due to some google's change, so i updated the link so its downloadable again.

Last edited:

coolmingli

Jan 16, 2013
San Francisco
hello everyone,

a friend has recently bought a Sony xperia z2 for me from china and the model i got is the china unicom model (l50u)
the phone is censored on the stock rom it has, cannot use any applications that aren't Chinese government approved i guess (no google play, gmail, etc and you can only download Chinese apps through sony select which is in Chinese and cannot be changed)

this phone model is physically different than the rest of the sony xperia z2 (2.2mm taller, no mic holes, different slot locations )
anyway i unlocked the bootloader (before i really knew what it means, i wanted to root the phone) and then i flashed it with some other official roms using flashtool

when the phone runs on a different rom, everything works great except for the sim not working (the phone is supposedly simfree as it recognizes my not-china-unicom sim) and when its on the stock rom only the sim works and the phone is pretty much useless to me but a weird camera

before i started noobing around the device i updated its firmware through Sony's pc program which gave me the files to create the ftf file from and some more TA files in which one of the is called simlock.ta

i tried installing Emma and see if the phone is registered as simlocked but i couldn't get it to work (it seem like it is no longer for non-sony employees people)

so i ask you. is there any way for me to use this phone with a different official rom and make the sim work with it? is there anything i should know about? any help is appriciated as im new to this community (which i enjoyed lurking around in the past) and to this area in android devices (as i was quite pleased with the Os as is on previous devices)

any help is appreciated

Phone's Details :

If your z2 is 2.2mm taller then it is the L50t China Mobile Model, The L50t uses TD LTE for 4G, the 3G is locked to China Mobile, but roaming with China Mobile Sim card is fine, it means you can only use China Mobile Sim card if you travel outside China. You can try to buy a unlock code, but only 3G will work, 4G LTE will never work unless you are in China.

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
If your z2 is 2.2mm taller then it is the L50t China Mobile Model, The L50t uses TD LTE for 4G, the 3G is locked to China Mobile, but roaming with China Mobile Sim card is fine, it means you can only use China Mobile Sim card if you travel outside China. You can try to buy a unlock code, but only 3G will work, 4G LTE will never work unless you are in China.

this is the l50u model of china unicom and im currently in the middle east and the my sim works on the device, i dont think you read through the whole thing :S

the device apears to be sim free since any sim i insert into it when its on the china unicom rom works, but when i flash it to other roms only the sim doesnt work

Sango2

Jun 13, 2012
Vancouver, BC / Seattle, WA

Emma actually works. You need to copy the customization file when you initially extracted the zip, into the installation directory.

It was something that I actually missed too and there is a guide on Sony which tells you that. Once you copy that, Emma will work.

banjo67xxx

Jun 25, 2013
this is the l50u model of china unicom and im currently in the middle east and the my sim works on the device, i dont think you read through the whole thing :S

the device apears to be sim free since any sim i insert into it when its on the china unicom rom works, but when i flash it to other roms only the sim doesnt work

Have you found an uncensored firmware which works on the L50U yet?

BTW, its not the SIM that is disabled, its the whole GSM/UMTS/LTE radio functionality that gets disabled. My phone keeps telling me its in Airplane mode when its not. Also its confused about where the covers are for SIM/charger/microSD and keeps telling me I've left one open when I haven't.

Does anyone have the blob_fs files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs starting FILE_ which you would get if you upgraded a real model D6503 to 17.1.1.A.0.402 as I'd like to try rebuilding the FTF but specifying model L50U in the build process to see if that would work?

If you have the blob_fs files for building the Generic FTF, then please post them here?

TIA

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
Have you found an uncensored firmware which works on the L50U yet?

BTW, its not the SIM that is disabled, its the whole GSM/UMTS/LTE radio functionality that gets disabled. My phone keeps telling me its in Airplane mode when its not. Also its confused about where the covers are for SIM/charger/microSD and keeps telling me I've left one open when I haven't.

Does anyone have the blob_fs files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs starting FILE_ which you would get if you upgraded a real model D6503 to 17.1.1.A.0.402 as I'd like to try rebuilding the FTF but specifying model L50U in the build process to see if that would work?

If you have the blob_fs files for building the Generic FTF, then please post them here?

TIA

yea, the sim is unlocked by all means but it wont work on any other rom (i flashed a few : RU and UK unbranded ) both work fine except the SIM. (as far as i noticed everything else worked fine)
i posted on sony's support forum and got no help really.
also posted Here but nobody could help me

i got the "official" rom for l50u from when i updated it, i just have really bad upload rate and i saw no interest in it - i can upload it for you but it may take some time.(i also still has the FILEs )

i also tried flashing combination of roms (excluding things on the list) but that didn't work, and the new easy easy root didn't work on the l50u as well

i figured the only thing i could do is customize a rom like CyanogenMod using this? (their link is broken but if you change "other" to "copylefts" it works)

but i currently don't have the knowledge and more importantly the time and patience : |

a friend also took it to an official sony retailer but he couldn't do anything about it and also said the warranty is voided as i unlocked the boot loader before there was a way to back up the drm keys)

so tell me what you think and need from me and ill upload it for you.

thanks for your time and have a great weekend.

boy1991

Jul 2, 2014
I am having the same issue with l50t phone, I was unable to get google apps to work on the china rom, and reading the forms they say it needed to be rooted to make changes to the host file.

I use doomlords "Z2_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-438-v05" after unlocking the bootloader, but that stopped my wifi from working. Mobile network still worked though.

Then I tried using cyanogenmod but had no service.

Finally I flashed it using "Canada - unbranded - 1281-9709" (I didn't back up the original) and still no service.

I have checked the IMEI number and it is still there.

Have you or anyone out there have an answer? Please and thank you

banjo67xxx

Jun 25, 2013
so tell me what you think and need from me and ill upload it for you.

Unfortunately, I need help from those millions of people with a standard D6503 model, not us few who have the L50u and L50t models.

*YOU* reading this with a D6503 model - Please can you go to re-upgrade your working 17.1.1.A.0.402 firmware (no need to go ahead with the upgrade in reality) and send us the blob_fs files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db ?

I'd really like to know if Flashtool can decrypt your D6503 blob_fs files and make a working L50u FTF from them.

Thanks.

boy1991

Jul 2, 2014
Maybe someone can help me get going to get the SIM working.

What I've found is that the radio is turned off.

Dialed *#*#4636#*#*, but am unable to turn on the radio or select radio band (get "set [usa band] unsuccessful")

Also could not select preferred network type. I also can't change this under network mode in mobile network settings.

Please help me to figure how I can get network service.

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
does this method get google play services to work? are there any issues?

well yes, you can read the issue i had in the quote on the first post.

when i flashed to other roms Google services worked (search, gmail, play store and i guess the rest too but i don't use them) but the sim did not.
so this method flashes a stock rom and installs the radios drivers basically.

derrickhjk

Sep 7, 2012
Macau
Help needed !

well yes, you can read the issue i had in the quote on the first post.

when i flashed to other roms Google services worked (search, gmail, play store and i guess the rest too but i don't use them) but the sim did not.
so this method flashes a stock rom and installs the radios drivers basically.

Hi, I have the same problem as you. I follow your instructions to flash but it says "drivers need to be installed". See attached picture. I am using windows 8.1.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 222

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
Hi, I have the same problem as you. I follow your instructions to flash but it says "drivers need to be installed". See attached picture. I am using windows 8.1.

you need to install drivers for your device :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635830

install the fastboot and flashtool drivers along with the z2 drivers

i will post the original l50u radio drivers tommorow or later today so if you got the l50u model you should wait.

derrickhjk

Sep 7, 2012
Macau
you need to install drivers for your device :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635830

install the fastboot and flashtool drivers along with the z2 drivers

i will post the original l50u radio drivers tommorow or later today so if you got the l50u model you should wait.

Hi. I manage to install and flash successfully. But now I have another problem. My phone now is unable to have any signals. I am using China UniCom SIM card. I guess I need the L50U radio drivers files. And also instructions on how to flash the radio drivers files. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    91.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
Hi. I manage to install and flash successfully. But now I have another problem. My phone now is unable to have any signals. I am using China UniCom SIM card. I guess I need the L50U radio drivers files. And also instructions on how to flash the radio drivers files. Thanks.

this is quite unrelated, it seem like this is a windows 8 issue, try this solution :
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35386496&postcount=21

First post updated, added L50u drivers.

derrickhjk

Sep 7, 2012
Macau
this is quite unrelated, it seem like this is a windows 8 issue, try this solution :
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35386496&postcount=21

First post updated, added L50u drivers.

Hi, The phone works OK.... now able to access to play store, gmail, facebook, youtube, etc.....working perfectly except that it does not have any radio signals except WiFi..... must I install the L50U radio drivers ??? Please provide instructions on how to flash the L50U radio drivers..... Thanks....

Last edited:

Pitzmans

Jun 4, 2014
Hi, The phone works OK.... now able to access to play store, gmail, facebook, youtube, etc.....working perfectly except that it does not have any radio signals except WiFi..... must I install the L50U radio drivers ??? Please provide instructions on how to flash the L50U radio drivers..... Thanks....

check the first post of the thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello everyone,

any help is appreciated

Phone's Details :

today i solved this problem with the help of Olberd and Chesterr

First i flashed to Generic Euro Rom from this thread
    using Flashtool
    then i rooted the phone using EasyRoot V8(check if your device works with it in it's current state)
    then i installed SuperSU
    then i installed Nut's Dual Recovery(locked) [you can probably check for a newer version and or change to an unlocked bootloader version]
    then i flashed the radio drivers:
    for the L50t (given to me by Olberd): Here
    for the L50u (made by me using Olberd's files as a base*): Here
    (put the driver zip on the root folder of the phone, restart and press the volume down button when the phone vibrates, untill the blue led lights, navigate to "flash zip.." and choose the driver zip)
    now both the phone and the sim work, so far everything works fine ill update if there are any issues with the phone.

thanks everyone for your time and help!
    *: take any of these 2 zip files and put your current original firmware's radio drivers - i used a root browser on the original firmware to get the radio drivers (copied them to a folder i can access normally on the phone) [search for the files you see in the zip].
    NOTE : Use the drivers suitable for your phone, although they work on both phones they cause weird shutting down issues when installed on the wrong phone

Update
    : i checked all the links and wrote notes about EasyRoot , Nut's Duel Recovery and how to make the flashable zip file . i'm sorry but i cannot help with newer problems because i dont have this phone anymore as i posted before. i got some PMs and emails from sony support forum and im redirecting people here.

Update 2: apparently the google drive link became locked due to some google's change, so i updated the link so its downloadable again.