Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 47,961 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HELP! Broken screen glass

Tip us?

thatblokematti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation HELP! Broken screen glass

I was getting the stuff out of my car an hour or so ago and I didn't take my bag out properly. Long story short the tablet, an LTE SM-P605) fell on concrete and now the glass is shattered. It still responds to touch and seems to be working properly. Charges and everything. Is there a fix to this that doesn't involve an entire new unit? I would muchhhh rather spend $200 or less on parts and tools to repair the screen than a few times as much getting a replacement unit.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatblokematti View Post
I was getting the stuff out of my car an hour or so ago and I didn't take my bag out properly. Long story short the tablet, an LTE SM-P605) fell on concrete and now the glass is shattered. It still responds to touch and seems to be working properly. Charges and everything. Is there a fix to this that doesn't involve an entire new unit? I would muchhhh rather spend $200 or less on parts and tools to repair the screen than a few times as much getting a replacement unit.
Easiest and cheapest way to repair http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...item4d1c4ea116

TechGeekDK
Old
(Last edited by TechGeekDK; 12th May 2014 at 11:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Well I do know that Samsung offers repair of a shattered screen at 1/2 the price if you did it within 1/2 a year from date of purchase. At least Samsung offers this in Denmark. Not sure what goes in the US. But might be worth a try to ask your supplier. A lot of the stores don't really know that Samsung offers this.. So if they say "noooo way!" ask them to double check with their service center.

Cheers

thatblokematti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post

Is there a similar service for the 2014 Edition? SM-P605. Everything works properly. The screen just has hundreds of cracks. I can still use the whole screen area and get touch response.

thatblokematti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Is this what I need to fix it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291083875540?lpid=82

LonelyTV
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Yes, It appears to be the correct screen. However, keep in mind that build quality of these screens are not the same as the ones from Samsung. I've repaired plenty of iPhones with cracked screens and the replacements that I would buy varied in build quality some of them were awesome and had little to no flaws, but I did receive a few that were awful.

Good luck with the repair.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,521
Quote:
You could buy the screen but I don't recommend you repair yourself, it's not easy, better off let the pro handle the repair. The link I sent you will repair the screen for you.

thatblokematti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
You could buy the screen but I don't recommend you repair yourself, it's not easy, better off let the pro handle the repair. The link I sent you will repair the screen for you.
The link you gave me is for the wrong model. I have the 204 Edition, model SM-P605.

thatblokematti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyTV View Post
Yes, It appears to be the correct screen. However, keep in mind that build quality of these screens are not the same as the ones from Samsung. I've repaired plenty of iPhones with cracked screens and the replacements that I would buy varied in build quality some of them were awesome and had little to no flaws, but I did receive a few that were awful.

Good luck with the repair.
That eBay piece contains the glass? Just making sure it's the right part. Everything works 100% except cracked glass on the surface. LCD and touch response seem to be aces.

WJThomas
Old
Thanks Meter 59
This might be of help http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49595697

Tags
broken, broken screen, diy, samsung