Car Charger Burnt My Phone!

27th May 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
I bought a twin USB car charger (2A) from Halfords and a 2M Belkin micro USB from Halfords.

I was using phone as sat nav for a while when one day I noticed a plasticky burning smell. I noticed the charger and my phone were very hot. I pulled the cable out of the phone and as I did, the metal of the cable twisted through the rubber of the cable. I found I couldn't charge the phone with any charger and the port had blackened.

I sent charger back to Halfords and they are carrying out investigations. I sent the phone to Carphone Warehouse for repair under Manufacturer Warranty and am awaiting for them to diagnose the problem.

Has any one had a similar experience?
I am worried both Halfords and Carphone Warehouse will blame each other leaving me with a dud phone. Any advice?

Here are the links to the products I bought:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165489
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165635

The assistant in store had a guess that possibly the wire was not rated for 2A? But I think he was reaching.
Last edited by gsdaheley; 27th May 2014 at 03:54 PM.
27th May 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 91

347 posts
I do a lot of travelling in my line of work and only once have I seen something similar happen to me and oddly it was in my personal car not the work van I drive regularly!

But yes, it was the cable that went. Not sure why. I doubt it was a rating thing to be honest. Its more likely the insulation has failed in the cable somewhere causing a short and to heat up. That will travel the length of the cable so its no wonder it burnt out the socket on the phone especially with the HTC being constructed of metals.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
28th May 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #3  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 242

3,305 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdaheley

I bought a twin USB car charger (2A) from Halfords and a 2M Belkin micro USB from Halfords.

I was using phone as sat nav for a while when one day I noticed a plasticky burning smell. I noticed the charger and my phone were very hot. I pulled the cable out of the phone and as I did, the metal of the cable twisted through the rubber of the cable. I found I couldn't charge the phone with any charger and the port had blackened.

I sent charger back to Halfords and they are carrying out investigations. I sent the phone to Carphone Warehouse for repair under Manufacturer Warranty and am awaiting for them to diagnose the problem.

I am worried both Halfords and Carphone Warehouse will blame each other leaving me with a dud phone. Any advice?

Here are the links to the products I bought:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165489
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165635

The assistant in store had a guess that possibly the wire was not rated for 2A? But I think he was reaching.

The stock charger is rated at 1.5 amps. Isn't 2 amps too high?

EDIT: I looked it up and it is a twin charger. The question is: do they put the full amps out a single port, or divide it in half, for twin 1 amp charges. I've seen chargers that do one or the other - depends on the design.
29th May 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 15

171 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedebi

The stock charger is rated at 1.5 amps. Isn't 2 amps too high?

EDIT: I looked it up and it is a twin charger. The question is: do they put the full amps out a single port, or divide it in half, for twin 1 amp charges. I've seen chargers that do one or the other - depends on the design.

It does not matter. It could be rated for 5 amps, a device should only pull as many amps as it needs. As long as the voltage is right and you meet the minimum amperage you're fine.

EDIT: Short version, improper voltage will kill electronics fast.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th May 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 10

93 posts
I needed a car charger and I noticed a lot of them said 2A on them. I was told directly from HTC not to buy a charger rated over 1.5A or I could damage the phone.
29th May 2014, 05:03 AM   |  #6  
Flag Frisco, TX
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdaheley

How long have you had the cable? I've seen it several times with cables that have shorts in one of the ends, generally showing signs of ware such as exposed wires, ripples in the outer shield etc... if they were both new then it's probably still the cable at fault, generally when chargers fail they just stop working.
29th May 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 91

347 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppicide

I needed a car charger and I noticed a lot of them said 2A on them. I was told directly from HTC not to buy a charger rated over 1.5A or I could damage the phone.

This is rubbish and smacks of HTC just covering their arses. I sometimes use a 2amp charger with my M8 in the house and never had a problem. As previous poster said, the phone will draw what it needs.

Aside from that, the M8 supports quick charge 2. Whilst that requires a special charger to work, said charger kicks out nearly 2amps and a higher voltage (9-12v). So I don't think anyone has to worry.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_c81 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 09:28 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppicide

This is the problem with HTC support, they don't seem to really know what they are talking about!

I don't understand how the phone will pull more current just because the charger is capable of supplying it. Its like saying, don't plug your phone charger into a wall socket capable of supplying 13A, because it only needs 3A!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tejr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #9  
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 39

130 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejr

This is the problem with HTC support, they don't seem to really know what they are talking about!

I don't understand how the phone will pull more current just because the charger is capable of supplying it. Its like saying, don't plug your phone charger into a wall socket capable of supplying 13A, because it only needs 3A!

Oh man! I better not use my kitchen outlets! Those guys are 20A rated outlets on a 20A breaker!
9th June 2014, 10:16 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
Update
So I returned my phone for repair, and after two weeks, they just sent me a replacement. I asked for details on the overheating problem and they fobbed me off saying now the 'repair' was complete they can't contact the repair centre.

I also returned the charger and wire to Halfords, and they exchanged on the spot.

I used the new phone and car charger again, and it seems to be heating up quite a bit again. I'm noticing the charger itself is warming up quite a bit and the phone is getting very hot.

I rang HTC customer services and they said they only offer support on genuine HTC products and told me to go to their shop.

Anyone else have any words of advice on what charger/wire is working well for them?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread