Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Do magnets in horizontal belt-clip cases interfere with the M8?

OP Cyber Akuma

10th April 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

205 posts
I assume that dot-view official cover works by magnets, similar to the smart-cover for iPads?

I was looking at these three:

http://store.androidcommunity.com/ru...A120A16420.htm

http://www.htcdepot.com/ventev-unive...A120A16476.htm

http://www.pdair.com/index.php/leath...ouch-type.html

I noticed that that the magnets on that middle one look pretty strong with how much they dug into the case in the photographs, will this mess with the M8 in any way? Or would the placements of these magnets (or the ones in the other cases) effect it?
11th April 2014, 09:07 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

205 posts
Seems that they will, so then by any chance has anyone used any of these cases with the M8? Do they activate the dot view mode while in the case by accident?
12th April 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma

Seems that they will, so then by any chance has anyone used any of these cases with the M8? Do they activate the dot view mode while in the case by accident?

My wife users a case like this for work, and the magnet does trigger the dot view mode. She wears scrubs at work, so a holster case is a must for her since scrub pockets are so loose.
16th April 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #4  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 242

3,305 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma

I assume that dot-view official cover works by magnets, similar to the smart-cover for iPads?

I was looking at these three:

[url]

I noticed that that the magnets on that middle one look pretty strong with how much they dug into the case in the photographs, will this mess with the M8 in any way? Or would the placements of these magnets (or the ones in the other cases) effect it?

I am using a tuff-as-nuts case (designed for the M7 but it fits the M8 tightly), with a magnetic lock. Every now and then (maybe once or twice a day), when I remove the phone I see that screen. A simple double tap clears it.

BTW, I have used the PDAir cases on my M7, and it is a really high quality material.
16th April 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 11

81 posts
I had this issue with a magnet car kit and if you rename the file htc dot matrix . apk then the screen will shut off when you put it next to the magnet but you can power it back on and resume operations. Must have root to Rename file.
I am on my phone but it is in something like:
Private_apps/htcdotmatrix. Apk
Must use root browser to see and Rename it.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

system/priv-app/HtcDotMatrix.apk

To be exact
Just delete or Rename be adding .bak to it
17th April 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #6  
New York
Thanks Meter: 5

28 posts
More
bought some horizontal pouches from amazon which stated for m8 .. both of them were too big and too wide ... really need one that fits without any covers... prefer leather... any advices
17th April 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #7  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 242

3,305 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_x_

bought some horizontal pouches from amazon which stated for m8 .. both of them were too big and too wide ... really need one that fits without any covers... prefer leather... any advices

I've had great luck with PDAir cases. I used it for my M7, although I'm using a different one for my M8. I'm still in the hunt for a pouch case myself; mine is a bit tight. They ship from china and take a while. Great quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Protec...words=PDair+M8
17th April 2014, 11:45 PM   |  #8  
New York

28 posts
More
Yea this one has a button close.. preferred magnetic it's much better... Had one on Evo 4g Lte. Almost 2 years old and still good didn't were out

Sprint HTC One M8
18th April 2014, 02:55 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

205 posts
This is the one I got:

http://www.shopandroid.com/ventev-un...A120A16476.htm

It uses magnets, but so far I haven't see it set off the DotView feature. It also fits my M8 perfectly, it's not tight nor loose.

Price is a bit expensive though, but the other places I found it at it was too cheap to be true (and I've heard some complaints about the really cheap ones being knockoffs). Do pay attention to the model number though, there is another one of the same size by the same company but has a clearly different design and s slightly different model number, not sure about the magnets or how well that one fits as I opted for this model.
18th April 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #10  
New York

28 posts
More
How does the phone fit on this one? Do u use any cover to make it fit? I don't use covers...

Sprint HTC One M8

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread