FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Forums: Discuss Everything About The OP2!

Now that the OnePlus 2 has been officially unveiled and that we have had close-up … more

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

[Q] TWRP asking for password/can't mount E/ROM won't load

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By strangestribu, Junior Member on 12th October 2013, 04:15 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I'm still somewhat new to all this but after buying my tf700 last December I've been trying out a few things, unlocked/rooted and I have been happily using TWRP and various versions of Cromi X for months without any problem. Suddenly one day it didn't want to boot the ROM anymore and I have no idea the cuase (didn't just flash some kernel or drop the tablet, etc). I have TWRP 2.5.0.0 and CROMI-X 5.0.2.

I've dug through the forums and there doesn't seem to be anyone I can find who's having exactly the same problems. There was no special data I particuarlly needed on the tablet and I have backups on saved elsewhere so I am totally happy to wipe everything and start from scratch. I just want my tablet back. I'm just looking for the easist way to fix this (and I hope there is a way!) so any help is greatly appreciated.

Info is as follows:
  • Cromi x won't load stuck on ASUS logo. Same goes for cold booting
  • When I boot into recovery it says "Key driver not found.. Booting OS" at the top left
  • [when I enter TWRP it asks for password and says it can't mount E as below
  • when i "cancel" the password request i am taken to the usual home screen but installing from internal storage shows no files and a size of "0"
  • strangely I can get into the Micro SD card and load CROMI X from there which all goes through normally but at the finish when I'm going to reboot it says "No OS Installed!" and after restarting i'm back to same problem
  • I'm not getting the Fastboot USB logo I think I'm supposed to get in recovery when it is plugged it into my PC and ADB sideload in TWRP also not working (not so experienced with these though)
  • When I try to wipe data in TWRP I get "Failed" the message about being unable to mount E below

E: Unable to find partition size for '/misc'
E: Unable to find partition size for '/staging'
E: Unable to find partition size for '/data'
E: Unable to find partition size for '/boot''
E: Unable to find partition size for '/recovery'
Updating partition details...
E: Unable to mount '/system'
E: Unable to mount '/cache'
E:TNFunc::Copy_Log -- Can't open destination log file: '/cache/recovery/log'
E: Unable to set emmc bootloader message.
Updating partition details...

12th October 2013, 04:53 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,911

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangestribu

Looks like some issue with the internal eMMC. Reboot your tablet into TWRP, connect it to your PC and run on the PC:

Code:
adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt
adb shell ls -l /dev/block/mmc* > mmc.txt
Post the 2 resulting files.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th October 2013, 07:11 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
can't seem to connect through PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

Looks like some issue with the internal eMMC. Reboot your tablet into TWRP, connect it to your PC and run on the PC:

Code:
adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt
adb shell ls -l /dev/block/mmc* > mmc.txt
Post the 2 resulting files.

Thanks very much for this. The problem I am having is I can't past the "error: device not found" message I get in the CMD on my (windows 7) PC. (yes I am opening the command line window on my android ADB folder). In fact the tablet doesn't appear in the Device Manager either. I'll admit I'm not so experienced working on the tablet through the PC (though I'm guessing I'm about to learn a lot), but I think the fact I get "Failed" when trying to ADB sideload in TWRP and nothing in the Device Manager is a big part of my problem though I'm stumped how to fix it.

Any ideas?
12th October 2013, 07:57 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

In fact the tablet doesn't appear in the Device Manager either.

You may not have the correct drivers, but even then it should at least appear as unknown device.

I don't know which drivers you need for Windows (it's easier under Linux) but maybe someone else can help you here. I remember sbdags once posted which drivers worked for him, maybe you find it using the search function.
12th October 2013, 08:44 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 15,094

Donate to Me
More
Try these drivers:
Attached Files
File Type: zip ADB_recovery_driver.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.75 MB, 131 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2013, 10:59 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
PC doesn't recognize tablet is plugged in
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

Try these drivers:

Quote:

You may not have the correct drivers, but even then it should at least appear as unknown device.

I don't know which drivers you need for Windows (it's easier under Linux) but maybe someone else can help you here. I remember sbdags once posted which drivers worked for him, maybe you find it using the search function.

Thanks both for this, but the problem that I'm facing is I can't seem to get my PC to recognize the existence of the tablet (connected via USB with TWRP running) even as an unknown device. Because of this I'm not sure how to get the drivers loaded. Also have loaded Android SDK Build-Tools and Google USB Driver through the Android SDK Manager. That doesn't seem to solve it either.

Not surprisingly when I run fastboot from a cmd line window and look for adb devices the list is blank.

Not sure what else to do. Would be willing to create a second Ubuntu boot on my machine if using linux would help me get this fixed. Just at a loss about what to do.

Any further insights are welcome!!!
13th October 2013, 11:49 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Thanks both for this, but the problem that I'm facing is I can't seem to get my PC to recognize the existence of the tablet (connected via USB with TWRP running) even as an unknown device.

Is the tablet connected directly to the PC? No dock, no USB hub?

To check if your USB cable works, you can boot your tablet into APX mode (hold volume-up while turning on). The screen will stay black but the backlight should be on. You can only do something useful in this mode if you have previously created your blob file for wheelie/nvflash, but at least your PC should recognize the Tegra APX device (vendor 0x0955, device 0x7030).

If that also doesn't work, boot any live Linux distribution and run "lsusb". If that also shows no trace of the tablet (vendor ID should be 0b05 for normal operation or recovery, or 0955 for APX mode), then either your cable or your tablet's USB connection is broken.
18th October 2013, 11:21 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Am I bricked?
Quote:

Is the tablet connected directly to the PC? No dock, no USB hub?

To check if your USB cable works, you can boot your tablet into APX mode (hold volume-up while turning on). The screen will stay black but the backlight should be on. You can only do something useful in this mode if you have previously created your blob file for wheelie/nvflash, but at least your PC should recognize the Tegra APX device (vendor 0x0955, device 0x7030).

If that also doesn't work, boot any live Linux distribution and run "lsusb". If that also shows no trace of the tablet (vendor ID should be 0b05 for normal operation or recovery, or 0955 for APX mode), then either your cable or your tablet's USB connection is broken.

Well you gave some great advice...I hadn't thought that the cable (which charges the tablet perfectly) could be the issue. I borrowed a cable from a friend who has the same machine and voila, recognized and could get into fastboot.

...and then with that problem solved, things got really bad.

I attempted to reflash TWRP on the tablet by pushing via fastboot as described on TeamWin's website. All was going perfectly until the tablet froze partway through the flash. Now when i power on, whether or not I hold vol down, I get a brief .5 seconds of the "Asus Inspiring innovation..." logo with a blue bar that goes up to about 75%, with "The device is unlocked" in the corner. After this brief 1/2 second it goes directly into APX -- black screen (though possibly back-lit) but, with the working Asus cable, Windows 7 recognizes the tablet as "Unknown Device"

I fear the device is now bricked as all the forums I've read seem to imply this. No, I didn't really know about creating a blob file for wheelie/nvflash before so don't have one (sure have read plenty about it now).

So...is this the end? Can I create a working blob file from my friend's device (I'm guessing not or it would have been thought of before)? or any other solution?

Or if not I've heard you can replace the motherboard though this is really unknown territory for me...I'm a bit curious so would be up for having a go but don't want to sink money into a helpless situation. Plus I don't know why any of this has happened in the first place so i fear there may be other parts that are not working properly.

Any useful insights on how to solve this problem I've created for myself would be greatly appreciated.
19th October 2013, 07:10 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 15,094

Donate to Me
More
Sounds like it is bricked if you can't get into the bootloader.

What was the exact command you used to 'push' TWRP and which file did you use?
21st October 2013, 09:39 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,418

More
Quote:

Well you gave some great advice...I hadn't thought that the cable (which charges the tablet perfectly) could be the issue. I borrowed a cable from a friend who has the same machine and voila, recognized and could get into fastboot.

...and then with that problem solved, things got really bad.

I attempted to reflash TWRP on the tablet by pushing via fastboot as described on TeamWin's website. All was going perfectly until the tablet froze partway through the flash. Now when i power on, whether or not I hold vol down, I get a brief .5 seconds of the "Asus Inspiring innovation..." logo with a blue bar that goes up to about 75%, with "The device is unlocked" in the corner. After this brief 1/2 second it goes directly into APX -- black screen (though possibly back-lit) but, with the working Asus cable, Windows 7 recognizes the tablet as "Unknown Device"

I fear the device is now bricked as all the forums I've read seem to imply this. No, I didn't really know about creating a blob file for wheelie/nvflash before so don't have one (sure have read plenty about it now).

So...is this the end? Can I create a working blob file from my friend's device (I'm guessing not or it would have been thought of before)? or any other solution?

Or if not I've heard you can replace the motherboard though this is really unknown territory for me...I'm a bit curious so would be up for having a go but don't want to sink money into a helpless situation. Plus I don't know why any of this has happened in the first place so i fear there may be other parts that are not working properly.

Any useful insights on how to solve this problem I've created for myself would be greatly appreciated.

If you cannot get into the bootloader and APX mode is your only access .... without nvFlash - sorry, it's a brick
The blobs for nvFlash are device specific, so somebody elses would not help you.
Your only option is to sell it for parts or have the main board replaced.
I don't have experience with that (thank God), but there are tear-down videos and instructions on iFixit.com. Maybe that'll help you decide if it would be something you can do yourself.
Otherwise sending it to Asus and have them fix it would be your only option. It is expensive....
My condolences....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4
12th July 2015, 03:13 AM |#11  
Flag PASADENA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy TF300T help
I've worked on this now for about 12 hours. I cannot figure it out. I run into the same roadblocks. I know this is an old thread, hopefully by now there's a solution for this kind of issue.

Can this be fixed in Odin or platform tools or something?

I've got TF300T where I believe I bungled the process by format/wiping from bootloader menu instead of TWRP. It's technically not bricked at all. But it's screwed up in the following ways (I was trying to get it to be a Clean Rom tablet, and there were so many sets of instructions, had them all open, and was trying to be careful about this, I've rooted and ROMed so many times and this is the first time I haven't been able to solve the issue in a reasonable amount of time)
-TWRP 2.5.0.0 asks for password, no pw ever set anywhere, tried all possibles that could feasibly be, but nothing works. This TWRP issue causes all cards to be invisible, it wiped by external SD, shows internal SD as having nothing in it but this is false as the OS boots ok (see below).
-cold boot or reboot leads to going straight into TWRP 2.5.0.0
-issuing command 'adb reboot bootloader' while in TWRP does take me into (bootloader?) 3 iconed menu, this menu is the only way I can boot the tablet into the normal Android system
-cannot factory restore the tablet from normal Android as it goes straight into TWRP following this action
-in the bootloader 3 iconed screen it is not seen by issuing that 'devices' command,
-thus cannot do 'fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging blob', TWRP disallows this also as the damn thing is locked down by a non-existent password.

I issued your commands:
DMESG.TXT (output too long to post here, exceeds xda allowable) &
MMC.TXT
brw------- 1 root root 179, 0 Jul 12 00:32 /dev/block/mmcblk0

brw------- 1 root root 179, 1 Jul 12 00:32 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread