Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 47,620 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New Z1 Straight Out Of The Box. Now What?

Tip us?

gandalf_grey91
Old
(Last edited by gandalf_grey91; 4th May 2014 at 02:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Default [Q] New Z1 Straight Out Of The Box. Now What?

Just got my brand new Z1 (C6903), SIM and bootloader unlocked (SI 1276-0471.2), and have booted it for the first time. It is running 14.1.G.1.518, shows 1 system OTA system update available to 14.2.A.0.290 and a number of OTA app updates available.

I'd like to root, install custom recovery (preferably dual) and back up the phones original state including TA partition, then move on to updating to a 4.4 Kitkat build, probably stock as I will leave the bootloader locked for the moment.

Despite having worked on (rooted etc.) 2x Xperia SPs, I have read through the many Z1 rooting threads and ultimate guides and I have no idea where to start. Most rooting threads start with downgrading, which I shouldn't need to do, there are usually multiple methods for each firmware version and most don't seem to root the currently installed ROM (especially the newer firmware versions), they require a ftf file (of unknown SI number) flashed over the current ROM. There doesn't seem to be a way to retain a firmware version with the correct SI number for my phone.

I think I read that Bin4ry's rooting method is the best for this firmware. Is that right? The dual recovery seems as though it could be problematic, will it be overwritten when I update or flash an ftf file? Once I root the original .518 firmware etc. what do I do next to get to rooted Kitkat (.757)? Is it possible to get a rooted 4.4 stock ROM with the same SI number? Should I actually be bother with such details?

I could really use some clear advice on the best way to proceed.
Sony Xperia Z1 running monxDIFIED v6.02
Motorola Atrix (x2) running Nottachtrix 1.3.1 (DeBlur-ed, running Ubuntop v.1.1.1) and Neutrino 3.02
HTC Incredible S running VivoKat (ART)
Sony Xperia SP (LTE) (x2) both running heavily customised stock ROM (4.3/4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running CM11
Nook HD+ running dual boot (CM11 (ART) / Stock 2.2.0)
HTC Desire running RSK ORIOLA Xperia Z 3.0 (CM10)
ZTE Skate running CM10
ZTE Blade running CM10

gregbradley
Old
(Last edited by gregbradley; 7th July 2014 at 07:01 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3684

DONATE TO ME
This is what you need to get to a 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 ROM with Root. For 4.4.4 look further down the post. This is for locked bootloaders.
Code:
For unlocked bootloaders on ANY FW just flash a custom kernel of your choice suitable for the FW you are on then install chainfires SuperSU either from the play store or from his website in a flashable zip (Google it)
1) Flash any FTF file ending in 534 (Find files and instructions in the mega collection thread in the general section)
2) Install the latest dual recovery (Find files and instructions in the XZDR dual recovery in the cross device development section)
3) Install a pre rooted 4.4 ROM of your choice (Find files and instructions in the development section)

No need to root, no need to unlock the bootloader, hence also no need to back up the TA partition.

At the end of the process you will be on KitKat and rooted.

Here is @shem2409 brand new video showing you step by step how to root and install the newest recovery on bootloader locked Sony Xperia Z1 Android 4.4 based on [NUT]'s guide:

For 4.4.4 just update to 4.4.4 via PCCompanion or flashtool and then look at this
http://prntscr.com/3zl4vx
or this
http://prntscr.com/4009mp

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.
<<DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES>>

Follow me on twitter
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gandalf_grey91
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
1) Flash any FTF file ending in 534 (Find files and instructions in the mega collection thread in the general section)
2) Install the latest dual recovery (Find files and instructions in the XZDR dual recovery in the cross device development section)
3) Install a pre rooted 4.4 ROM of your choice (Find files and instructions in the development section)
Many Thanks for the swift response, thats about as clear as it gets. But I did notice most ROM's install instructions say to root 534 before installing recovery and most require a kernel only ftf to be flashed after flashing ROM. Should I follow the ROM's install instructions?

Just for my own knowledge, there is a Generic UK 534 firmware ftf listed but not with the same SI number as mine. Should I worry about never being able to return the phone to full "just-out-of-the-box" condition?
Motorola Atrix (x2) running Nottachtrix 1.3.1 (DeBlur-ed, running Ubuntop v.1.1.1) and Neutrino 3.02
ZTE Skate running CM10
ZTE Blade running CM10

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3684

DONATE TO ME
If you do not install dual recovery then you will have to root the 534 firmware
Installing dual recovery on 534 roots the firmware at the same time

You can flash any 534 FTF as long as its for your model of phone (C6902/3/6 etc), the SI number does not matter

As my instructions said at each step you will find files and instructions in the relevant threads, please follow them.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

Follow me on twitter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AgroCPU
Old
Thanks Meter 35
i upgraded it to .757, then installed doomkernel and flashed supersu.zip...thats my rooting method on qct based devices ^^
Android Devices:
1. Sony Xperia Z1 : Deodexed Stock .757+Doomkernel v21
2.Sony Xperia M : All Stock at the moment...
3. Asus MeMoPad HD7: AOSP V2+Xposed

PCs and Notebooks:
HP Notebook,AMD A8-4500@2,8GHz,4GB DDR3,AMD Radeon HD7460G+8670M,Windows 8.1
Asus Notebook,AMD Athlon64 QL-65@2,1GHz,4GB DDR2,AMD Radeon HD3200+4570M,Windows 7
Work PC: AMD A4-3300@4,7GHz,4GB DDR3,AMD Radeon HD6410D+6970,Windows7
Gaming PC: AMD FX-9590@5,9GHz,32GB DDR3,2x AMD Radeon R9 290,Windows 7

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3684

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgroCPU View Post
i upgraded it to .757, then installed doomkernel and flashed supersu.zip...thats my rooting method on qct based devices ^^
On unlocked bootloader that's the best way, but for those that choose to not unlock, or cannot unlock then they need the above method

My contributions.

[Xperia Z1]

Follow me on twitter
The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AgroCPU
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
On unlocked bootloader that's the best way, but for those that choose to not unlock, or cannot unlock then they need the above method
Jep...^^
Android Devices:
1. Sony Xperia Z1 : Deodexed Stock .757+Doomkernel v21
2.Sony Xperia M : All Stock at the moment...
3. Asus MeMoPad HD7: AOSP V2+Xposed

PCs and Notebooks:
HP Notebook,AMD A8-4500@2,8GHz,4GB DDR3,AMD Radeon HD7460G+8670M,Windows 8.1
Asus Notebook,AMD Athlon64 QL-65@2,1GHz,4GB DDR2,AMD Radeon HD3200+4570M,Windows 7
Work PC: AMD A4-3300@4,7GHz,4GB DDR3,AMD Radeon HD6410D+6970,Windows7
Gaming PC: AMD FX-9590@5,9GHz,32GB DDR3,2x AMD Radeon R9 290,Windows 7

gandalf_grey91
Old
(Last edited by gandalf_grey91; 4th May 2014 at 10:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
If you do not install dual recovery then you will have to root the 534 firmware
Installing dual recovery on 534 roots the firmware at the same time

You can flash any 534 FTF as long as its for your model of phone (C6902/3/6 etc), the SI number does not matter

As my instructions said at each step you will find files and instructions in the relevant threads, please follow them.
Thanks again, that dual recovery is a godsend. Much like yourself. Couldn't find any details on what Wipe and Exclude options to set in flashtool for the 534 flash. Seems logical to exclude TA but I don't know.

I have read some stuff about losing IMEI when flashing with flashtool but that seems to occur when downgrading.
ZTE Skate running CM10
ZTE Blade running CM10

jplempka
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
This is what you need to get to a 4.4 ROM with Root.

No need to root, no need to unlock the bootloader, hence also no need to back up the TA partition.

At the end of the process you will be on KitKat and rooted.
Hi,

I flashed the FTF file ending in 534 but now my phone is just continuously rebooting, is this normal? How long does it take?

Thanks

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3684

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplempka View Post
Hi,

I flashed the FTF file ending in 534 but now my phone is just continuously rebooting, is this normal? How long does it take?

Thanks
It shouldn't bootloop

Make sure you picked the right 534 file
it should be the same one for your phone

i.e. c6902 or c6903 or c6906

Just flash another one

My contributions.

[Xperia Z1]

Follow me on twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
kitkat, root, stock