Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

No WIFI on AOSP ROMS - BOUNTY $20

OP PhillyFlyer

5th June 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 182

1,067 posts
More
Will pay someone to help me UNDERSTAND and fix this issue I have.

I have ATT HTC ONE M8 - S-OFF, CID 1111111

I have successfully used all Sense ROMs. But if I flash ANY AOSP ROM I have no WIFI whatsoever. It connects sometimes and drops right off. I can't use any non-Sense ROMs because of this and I am starting to get PO-ed.

Please help, reward in it.
9th June 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #2  
Flag Waukesha, WI
Thanks Meter: 31

232 posts
I was told that wifi is like this because of HTC having a closed source wifi driver. Regular unsecured networks you should be able to connect to, but secured connections you'll have to be extremely close to the router to connect. Frustrating, I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to GohanBurner For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2014, 05:06 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 182

1,067 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GohanBurner

I was told that wifi is like this because of HTC having a closed source wifi driver. Regular unsecured networks you should be able to connect to, but secured connections you'll have to be extremely close to the router to connect. Frustrating, I know.

Yes, that information is all I have been able to uncover actually. But I dont understand how its not really a big deal for anyone else? Haha.

I mean all these people seem to be using these AOSP ROMs....but I am the only one who seems to care that I have absolutely no wifi sitting on my couch at home?

Strange that people are just 'dealing'

Anyway - thanks
9th June 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 47,850

21,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyer

Yes, that information is all I have been able to uncover actually. But I dont understand how its not really a big deal for anyone else? Haha.

I mean all these people seem to be using these AOSP ROMs....but I am the only one who seems to care that I have absolutely no wifi sitting on my couch at home?

Anyway - thanks

It is and has been a big deal for others. You can see this in pretty much every AOSP thread we have here. Only a few of you guys are experiencing no wifi at all. There's only a couple of options that can be done next to "just dealing" which is digging into the code and trying to fix it or using a non AOSP based ROM.

Try this if you want and test your wifi and let me know if it's any better.

AOKP Build 6.8.2014
DOWNLOAD HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to task650 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Waukesha, WI

232 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyer

Anyway - thanks

If I got great 4G signal here at work I probably wouldn't mind as much about not being able to connect to the network here where you have to log in to use the free WiFi. I can never get to the acceptance page. Since there is free WiFi here I might as well use it but I can't. CarbonROM seems to be PERFECT aside from the WiFi issue plaguing all AOSP ROMs at the moment.

I just hope that someone can confirm that it is an issue that is being looked into. I'm a little curious as to why HTC would lock down its WiFi drivers...
10th June 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

42 posts
More
I have had the same problem as you on all AOSP roms except Liquidsmooth. I flashed liquidsmooth beta (from the HTC m8 original thread) and wifi worked while it didn't on all of the others. The most current one is running on 4.4.3 and that may have something to do with it. I really want to flash Paranoid but Im waiting on 4.4.3. Liquidsmooth is a very stable rom if you want to check it out. I saw on a PA Google+ post that the 4.4.3 update may help fix this issue so I would wait... Although, I could be wrong
10th June 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #7  
Flag Waukesha, WI

232 posts
I hope that it gets resolved soon. I am so sick of using Sense. In fact, I hate all stock interpretations of Android. AOSP or die.
10th June 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #8  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag NSA Black Site Whiskey Tango Foxtrot One Niner
Thanks Meter: 1,348

2,461 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GohanBurner

I hope that it gets resolved soon. I am so sick of using Sense. In fact, I hate all stock interpretations of Android. AOSP or die.

Have you tried playing with the WIFi module? If it is working on one, then you should be able to use it's WIFI module on another. If you aren't getting any wifi at all, well that sounds like a kernel module issue to me.

What kernel are you using?
10th June 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #9  
Flag Waukesha, WI

232 posts
My problem isn't connecting to WiFi, I can do that just fine. I haven't tried connecting to a secure password-protected network yet, but "Guest" access points I can't get to the page where you accept the terms of use unless I'm a few feet from the router. I don't know of any ROM that has allowed me to connect farther away from it yet. All the ROMs I have tried seem to let me use unsecured access points with no problem.

On AOSP ROMs I've tried the included Kernel baked into the ROM and Excaliber 0.3.

On Sense I'm on Faux.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread