Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,398 Members 40,105 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any ROM with Tablet UI and MHL support?

Tip us?

thebeest
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Any ROM with Tablet UI and MHL support?

Hi there

I am looking for a rom with the Tablet UI (Like the old stock rom) with support for MHL. I am currently running a stable PAC release but the lack of MHL support is getting annoying. I was perfectly happy with the stock rom but after an upgrade the tablet ui was replaced with the phablet/phone ui which I thought was a step in the wrong direction so i flashed PAC roms until I found my daily driver.

Is there a custom rom that supports both the Tablet UI either through PA or an Xposed module (I have not found one that works so far) and MHL? Or do I have to go back to an old stock rom?

Tablet: SGP311 UK 16GB WIFI
Current ROM: pac_pollux_windy-4.3-20140122

Thanks in advance

snlsapkota
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default phab7

use phab7 with xposed installer.

Riekr
Old
Thanks Meter 81
afaik no custom rom supports mhl, only an old version of cm (don't remember if 9 or 10) wich is not built for pollux_windy
i've gone back to stock for that reason
Phone: Nexus 5 (hammerhead) since Nov 2013 Rom: Stock Rooted 4.4.2 + ElementalX Kernel
Tablet: Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311 / pollux_windy) since Aug 2013 Rom: CM11 Nightly
Smart box: iThink (YP-2000) since Mar 2013 Rom: Stock Rooted 4.2
Previous devices: Galaxy Nexus (maguro) HTC Desire HD, Acer A1 Liquid, HTC Topaz, HTC Diamond, many other older phones.

thebeest
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsapkota View Post
use phab7 with xposed installer.
Have you tested this with a stock rom? I tried phab7 on my PAC rom but it didnt work, I assumed it was because of PA elements in PAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riekr View Post
afaik no custom rom supports mhl, only an old version of cm (don't remember if 9 or 10) wich is not built for pollux_windy
i've gone back to stock for that reason
Ahh thats a real shame. What stock are you running and have you treid to get the Tablet UI? The new stock UI just makes the buttons really hard to use with two hands and its asif you have a 10 inch phone in your hands!

Riekr
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeest View Post
Ahh thats a real shame. What stock are you running and have you treid to get the Tablet UI? The new stock UI just makes the buttons really hard to use with two hands and its asif you have a 10 inch phone in your hands!
i'm now using latest with kk but didn't try mhl or tablet ui.
mhl is supposed to be supported, regarding tablet ui sony did many modifications to the system ui so the best chance is to try. if you do make a nandroid backup first.
Phone: Nexus 5 (hammerhead) since Nov 2013 Rom: Stock Rooted 4.4.2 + ElementalX Kernel
Tablet: Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311 / pollux_windy) since Aug 2013 Rom: CM11 Nightly
Smart box: iThink (YP-2000) since Mar 2013 Rom: Stock Rooted 4.2
Previous devices: Galaxy Nexus (maguro) HTC Desire HD, Acer A1 Liquid, HTC Topaz, HTC Diamond, many other older phones.

Jequan
Old
Thanks Meter 28
No idea about MHL but none of the kitkat ROMs have the option for classic tablet UI sadly. I don't know why nobody did it considering you can adjust the UI Nav buttons.

The best solution for me is omni ROM so far. You can put the back button to a corner there at least.

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jequan View Post
No idea about MHL but none of the kitkat ROMs have the option for classic tablet UI sadly. I don't know why nobody did it considering you can adjust the UI Nav buttons.

The best solution for me is omni ROM so far. You can put the back button to a corner there at least.
Google basically killed all the code responsible for the Tablet UI on KK.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Jequan
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
Google basically killed all the code responsible for the Tablet UI on KK.

I don't think this is a valid reason considering i allready had tablet UI back on KK. With AOKP and pacman you can add as many nav bar items as you want. I added so many that i simply gave the most right three ones the typical three buttons. Voila i had my tablet UI.
The problem: Since a few updates they render a pacman or AOKP icon on every button you add but don't assigne anything to it wich looks stupid.

Technically there is nothing hindering to get a tablet UI back.

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jequan View Post
I don't think this is a valid reason considering i allready had tablet UI back on KK. With AOKP and pacman you can add as many nav bar items as you want. I added so many that i simply gave the most right three ones the typical three buttons. Voila i had my tablet UI.
The problem: Since a few updates they render a pacman or AOKP icon on every button you add but don't assigne anything to it wich looks stupid.

Technically there is nothing hindering to get a tablet UI back.
Already back on KK? That's the latest... And, that isn't actually Tablet UI. You just put lots of icons and that moved the main ones to the left. Tablet UI consists of having the whole SystemUI at the bottom, not just the buttons on the left...

You could recreate the whole code, but that would be a bit hard to do...

Jequan
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
Already back on KK? That's the latest... And, that isn't actually Tablet UI. You just put lots of icons and that moved the main ones to the left. Tablet UI consists of having the whole SystemUI at the bottom, not just the buttons on the left...

You could recreate the whole code, but that would be a bit hard to do...

I see what you mean - i would be happy with the buttons where one can reach it. The other changes of the UI don't bother me as much.