Post Reply

miracast and wifi

OP kwanying

21st June 2013, 04:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Why is it that once I connect to miracast it will disconnect from wifi? Is it hardware limitation or software bug? My Samsung note 2 can connect on both miracast and still maintain wifi connection.
23rd June 2013, 10:14 AM   |  #2  
mddsd's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 9
 
156 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanying

Why is it that once I connect to miracast it will disconnect from wifi? Is it hardware limitation or software bug? My Samsung note 2 can connect on both miracast and still maintain wifi connection.

I believe that Sonys implementation of Miracast is wrong.
From what I read, Miracast it self allows for up to 10 connections and as you say your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can handle both network connection and Miracast.

There's two threads at Sony's Xperia Forum that discuss this problem.
At first the Xperia Team said it was by design, but when several users explained that Samsung phones can have a Wifi connection active at the same time and that all Nexus phones running 4.2.2 could also handle this,
then the Xperia Team said that they would escalate the issue, but after that there has been no more feedback...

Here's the threads at Sony's Xperia Forum:
http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/12...art=0&tstart=0
http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/453753#453753
19th August 2013, 06:10 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 84
 
686 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
This is actually a really bad thing. I also purchased the push2tv system so could stream Netflix and YouTube from my tablet. No luck with that. My HTC one does it without problems.
I am starting to think that what if the random wifi disconnections are related and is because Sony uses only one antenna while there should be two.
19th August 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #4  
om22's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 527
 
1,215 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyAndy

This is actually a really bad thing. I also purchased the push2tv system so could stream Netflix and YouTube from my tablet. No luck with that. My HTC one does it without problems.
I am starting to think that what if the random wifi disconnections are related and is because Sony uses only one antenna while there should be two.

actually the tablet z uses MIMO and has 2 antennas. in my opinion itīs clearly a software restriction.
21st August 2013, 08:18 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
34 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
I had the same issue since i bought the dock and push2tv for the same reason. Unfortunately nothing so far. It is definitely a software problem as Sony seems to have fixed it with the Xperia Z Ultra. It works fine while still connected to wifi.

The Xperia Z disconnects also by the way.

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
21st August 2013, 09:52 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Hatfield, UK
Thanks Meter: 373
 
1,372 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Is it a restriction on the S4, over Snapdragon 800? That could be why the Ultra (and then Honami) works.
23rd August 2013, 10:57 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
76 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris

Is it a restriction on the S4, over Snapdragon 800? That could be why the Ultra (and then Honami) works.

So it was not fixed with 4.2.2? LOL
23rd August 2013, 11:06 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Hatfield, UK
Thanks Meter: 373
 
1,372 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMCP

So it was not fixed with 4.2.2? LOL

No. I have to assume it's a hardware restriction then, or Sony can't or won't fix it.

I am now using MHL, which seems like a far easier solution - although even that cuts the performance of the phone considerably. Epic Citadel can benchmark at around 59fps on the phone display, but output via HDMI and it drops things to 30-40fps.
23rd August 2013, 11:20 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
76 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris

No. I have to assume it's a hardware restriction then, or Sony can't or won't fix it.

I am now using MHL, which seems like a far easier solution - although even that cuts the performance of the phone considerably. Epic Citadel can benchmark at around 59fps on the phone display, but output via HDMI and it drops things to 30-40fps.

weird, some say it works on T, so why would XZ and XTZ be affected?
23rd August 2013, 11:29 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Hatfield, UK
Thanks Meter: 373
 
1,372 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMCP

weird, some say it works on T, so why would XZ and XTZ be affected?

That's weird if it works on the T. I think this needs to be clarified. If it does, Sony really should be able to make it work, or else asked why they went backwards with the Z/TZ by changing the Wi-Fi specs/antennas.

I am going to go and check my Nexus 4 and see if that retains the connection. Previously I couldn't connect it to my TV but a new LG update on the TV has hopefully fixed things.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes