Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[new release] One more taskbar battery meter

OP levenum

22nd September 2006, 03:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter: 17

1,548 posts
Hello.

I recently decided that the i-mate tray battery meter was not good enough for my needs and wanted to find a better one. After a few hours of looking and not finding one that was perfect for me I wondered: how hard is it to write one?
Well, apparently its very easy.

I decided to share the result with the community. There are much better ones out there, but perhaps someone will find this one suitable as well.

Whats so special about it?
Its tiny! Only 8.5k. Downside of this - it doesn't have any options, nor do I intend to add any in the future to keep current size. Also it receives notifications on battery as they come in, so its very accurate without having to constantly check the battery and generate unnecessary CPU load.

It takes its behavior from the device driver which is why it will act differently on different devices when battery is charging. (Some devices report battery full, others report accurate percentage, yet others "slide" it in a loop).

Name:  priview.bmp
Views: 21546
Size:  18.3 KB

Also it starts just after MS logo (as you can see from the screen shot I have that space occupied) and doesn't fill the whole screen (14 pixels are left so the units could be evenly sized).

Well here it is, enjoy LvmTopBat.cab

For those who wish to learn how this program works, or to create another using it as a base, here is the entire project:
LVMTopBat.zip
The project compiles under eVC 4 with Windows Mobile 2003 SDK.
This program is now released under GNU/GPL v3.0
(See License.txt for more info)

Hope you will find it useful.
Last edited by levenum; 23rd August 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Added source code
The Following User Says Thank You to levenum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd September 2006, 05:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

452 posts
Levenum,

Great little app. I wonder how it differs from the Sbp meter used in PocketPlus.
22nd September 2006, 06:44 PM   |  #3  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 0

204 posts
I like it!

Yeah, don't add any options to it, I like the idea of an 8.5k program. That was my problem with Batti, it just grew and grew and I don't care about that info.

thanks!
22nd September 2006, 09:59 PM   |  #4  
Flag Gliwice
Thanks Meter: 6

331 posts
More
look nice, i will try it
22nd September 2006, 10:03 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

139 posts
More
Does it change colour? If not could you make a gradiated texture?

1-10% Red
11-30% Yellow
31-100% Green
23rd September 2006, 08:10 AM   |  #6  
Flag NY

204 posts
levenum and others,

FYI, I decided 8.5 kb was just too big :lol: (I'm toally kidding) so just to let you guys know, you can UPX the file down to 6.5kb with no issues. :wink:
24th September 2006, 08:38 PM   |  #7  
OP Retired Moderator

1,548 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNGold

I wonder how it differs from the SPB meter used in PocketPlus.

Never tried SPB PocketPlus so not sure. Maybe just the fact that it's not full screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr

Does it change colour?

Actually, it does but only according to what the device reports. I found that on my Jamin for example, it reports 'low' (yellow) at 10% and 'critical' (red) at 5%.
It goes blue when charging, and I would really like to know if anyone got purple. According to MSDN documentation, there can be an 'undetermined' state reported by the system, but I doubt it can be encountered while device actually functions.

malatesta:Nice 8)
27th September 2006, 03:00 PM   |  #8  
Flag Moscow

221 posts
More
When I resume TyTN from the power saving mode, the indicator becomes purple for a second. So I can confirm that it works

It is better than SPB Pocket indicator because SPB is always grey, does not indicate charging, and its segments are of fixed length in both portrait and landscape and therefore have no a real relationship to the charge level.

It is better than IndiLite because it loads from the Startup folder (IndiLite from registry) and does not affect SafeMode of SPB.

Also it does only battery indication and this is good as well - there are too many apps and plug-ins that duplicate each other but not fully. For instance, before I used IndiLite only for the battery indicator, and SPB Pocket for task management.
27th September 2006, 04:03 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

441 posts
More
is there a way to deactivate the spb pocket plus taskbar battery indicator (without removing spb pp), and have it replaced with this one?
27th September 2006, 04:06 PM   |  #10  
OP Retired Moderator

1,548 posts
Lurker0: Thanks for the test and the compliments.

Quote:

Also it does only battery indication and this is good as well - there are too many apps and plug-ins that duplicate each other but not fully.

This is exactly why I wrote it - small and to the point. No sharing small (yet precious) today space with memory indicators or other stuff.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread