Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,752 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GUIDE - Install TWRP Recovery and Root MOTO E Phone

Tip us?

Vatumb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default GUIDE - Install TWRP Recovery and Root MOTO E Phone

WARNING!

Your warranty is void if you follow the given instruction in this guide. Read all the instruction very carefully and Perform everything at your own risk.

This guide is only for the MOTO E android smartphone. Don’t try this method on any of other Android devices, It may hard brick your device. So, first confirm your phone model number in your android phone settings. To do this Go the Settings page of your device and check out the “About Device” option.

PRE-REQUISITES AND REQUIREMENTS

1. BACKUP YOUR ANDROID DATA

2. INSTALL MOTO E DRIVERS

3. ENABLE USB DEBUGGING MODE

4. CHARGE YOU ANDROID

If your device switched off during this process, it could damage or brick the device. Make sure that your Android battery is full charge or near about 50-70% battery level.

HOW TO INSTALL TWRP & ROOT MOTO E

Step 1. Download the Fastboot files for MOTE E and extract the folder on your desktop.

Step 2. Download The TWRP recovery from here (Rename the file to recovery.img) and extract in the same folder as of step 1.

Step 3. Download The SuperSU from here and copy it into the root of your internal memory,

Step 4. Now all the important files are with your. First you have to unlock the bootloader of your device. Read here.

Step 5. Connect your phone to PC and Reboot to bootloader by pressing VolumeDown + Power button for about 6-7 seconds.

Step 6. Go to the Fastboot folder in step 1, Do Shift + RightClick in empty space in the folder without selecting anything, Select Open a command window here.

Step 7. Now you will see the command prompt window on your screen. In the command prompt window, you need to enter the below mentioned command;

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Step 8. Press Volume Down to select recovery on fastboot menu, then press Volume Up to confirm your choice to boot into recovery

Step 9. Now touch doesn’t work in recovery straight away, so wait 60 seconds without touching the phone, The phone screen will go blank.

Step 10. Press power button and do swipe to unlock to get your touch working again! Select Install, scroll down and find the SuperSU Zip downloaded in step 3.

Step 11. Swipe to confirm, wait untill the flash is complete and then select reboot. First reboot will take some time, so no need to worry.

Now check your MOTO E app drawer, There should be SuperSU installed. Congratulations you are rooted!

via @howtorootmobile
Current Phones:Galaxy S4 & Nexus 4

TheStrix
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
I think so this guide is already available!!
Press THANKS if I deserve it!!

deej_roamer
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStrix View Post
I think so this guide is already available!!
Yeah I did that guide earlier!

5644red
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default recovery flash error

hey dude, i was trying to flash twrp n root but i have got an error. i have posted a ss, pls do help. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twrperror.png
Views:	130
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2774618  

deej_roamer
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5644red View Post
hey dude, i was trying to flash twrp n root but i have got an error. i have posted a ss, pls do help. thanks
Write
Code:
Select Code
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
it will work!

5644red
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deej_roamer View Post
Write
Code:
Select Code
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
it will work!
Thanks for the help buddy but still it isnt working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twrp2.png
Views:	79
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2774682  

deej_roamer
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5644red View Post
Thanks for the help buddy but still it isnt working.
Download another version of mfastboot, or simply just fastboot, or try from scratch again!
I saw earlier your mfastboot folder has recovery.img, so cannot be a misplace error!
Still check again it is there! Otherwise, do what i wrote in first line!
The Following User Says Thank You to deej_roamer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

5644red
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deej_roamer View Post
Download another version of mfastboot, or simply just fastboot, or try from scratch again!
I saw earlier your mfastboot folder has recovery.img, so cannot be a misplace error!
Still check again it is there! Otherwise, do what i wrote in first line!
tried like 5 or 6 times buddy.. still no use.. i was able to unlock bootlocker without any trouble so i hope there is no trouble with moto drivers, i feel it might be due to fastboot file.. ill try again soon.. thanks

Ccceenu
Old
(Last edited by Ccceenu; 9th June 2014 at 07:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Can you please tell me if i will be able to install the 4.4.3 update after flashing custom recovery. Thanks in advance

deej_roamer
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccceenu View Post
Can you please tell me if i will be able to install the 4.4.3 update after flashing custom recovery. Thanks in advance
No you need stock recovery!
But its alright you can revert back to custom recovery from here
So go back and enjoy custom recovery,

And if you still prefer not to change your recovery, you can try this guide!

The Following User Says Thank You to deej_roamer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]