Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 43,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Would you get this device again?

Tip us?

JManekia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 168
Smile Would you get this device again?

Hello

My HTC EVO 4G LTE died and I am looking for a used device to keep me going for a bit till I get a new one later this year. I've always been a fan of QWERTY keyboard and Photon Q intrigues me. Do you guys recommend this device? I am also looking at LG Optimus G.

Thanks
DEVICES: LG Optimus G LS970 (Current); HTC EVO 4G LTE (Bent Frame)

arrrghhh
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3380

DONATE TO ME
The phone is a bit "old" by today's standards... but if you want a keyboard device (and it looks like you're on Sprint) there's probably none better. Probably never will be either....

The device will never get anything beyond 4.1.2 "officially" - but unofficially (CM support et al is quite good) there is 4.4.3 and will continue to be updates for a while probably.

AndyYan
Old
Thanks Meter 822
Seeing the thread's title makes me wanna reply...
I just sold my Photon Q weeks ago because it looked too worn out and I want some fresh experience, but when I have that money again I surely will grab another one - heck, I'll shell out even more money for a like-new one, 'cuz it's worth it if you're a collector or a die-hard QWERTY fan. Totally the best in its class. Performance may not be as high as Optimus G but it holds its own with CM11 and @arrrghhh 's overclock blessings.

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11

Current devices:
Google Nexus 4 (CM11 Nightly)
Sony Xperia SP (CM11 Nightly)
Google Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi) (CM11 Nightly)
Samsung Galaxy Gear (Null_ Build 23)
HTC Incredible S (CM11 Unofficial)
Nokia N97-1 (RM-505 22.0.110 Pre-Hacked)

Quote:
Multi-core smartphones are like M&Ms:
They don't melt on the store shelf... Just in your hands.

JManekia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 168
I appreciate all the feedback. I made the decision to go with Optimus G, simply because I am planning to use this device for 6 months and the specs of Optimus G won me over the QWERTY keyboard.

Thanks again for all the help.
DEVICES: LG Optimus G LS970 (Current); HTC EVO 4G LTE (Bent Frame)

huhu1312
Old
Thanks Meter 9
if other people also interested here is my opinion

i really like this phone and yes i would buy it again.
i was sad when motorola mobility get sold. that was the dead of droid series.
the quality of the phones are really good. like droid 3 iam in love. (i miss this rubbery back cover)

some years ago there was the samsung I927 but that plastic was feeling bad in my hands and it get sold fast.
u was angry that it will slips out of your hands when open the keyboard or was writing
the droid phones are lieing good in my hands only the nokia n97 (my first qwerty) was better because the diplay was in 45°

my xt897 already fall 2 or 3 times out of my hand on the ground and nothing happened
and i was able to rescue the phones everytime. the phone had no os installed and the battery was 0% but that wasnt a problem.
motorola also had great accessories.
like the lapdocks (support for newer android version is in work. but problem with compling the sources. but i think i know the problem if someone can help me and compling my idea pls contact me)
or power packs (if phone is really dead and there is no charger u can connect it and put both in your pocket. the battery in xt897 is embedded).

also the preformance of xt897 is enough. i not wanne play new high quality games on my phone. i not need 4 cores or something like that in my mobile phone. I like the hdmi jack more that is not found in other phones.

the only problem is that u can not buy a xt897 with sim-slot in a store. but CornholioGSM managed it
but motorla just rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111