Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] CWM unable to mount /system

OP cdlees

6th June 2012, 04:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
This has been mentioned elsewhere, even by me but I think it has fallen through the cracks. It may be an unrelated problem but when trying to use CWM to do a backup it fails saying that /system cannot be mounted.

The issue it may be related to is that CWM on boot installed via either method fails to stick past the initial reboot. It looks to me that it is restoring an image on start up each time undoing any changes. It must not be changing everything because the root sticks. I have made sure init.d support has been installed. The phone is an AT&T branded MB865, has been rooted and is running stock 2.3.6 firmware.

Any pointers will be appreciated and I come from an embedded Linux background so I'm willing to help out, but why re-invent the wheel if this has already been solved.
6th June 2012, 04:59 AM   |  #2  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 104

245 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlees

This has been mentioned elsewhere, even by me but I think it has fallen through the cracks. It may be an unrelated problem but when trying to use CWM to do a backup it fails saying that /system cannot be mounted.

The issue it may be related to is that CWM on boot installed via either method fails to stick past the initial reboot. It looks to me that it is restoring an image on start up each time undoing any changes. It must not be changing everything because the root sticks. I have made sure init.d support has been installed. The phone is an AT&T branded MB865, has been rooted and is running stock 2.3.6 firmware.

Any pointers will be appreciated and I come from an embedded Linux background so I'm willing to help out, but why re-invent the wheel if this has already been solved.

Update your busybox .
6th June 2012, 05:43 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
I had thought of that, running BusyBox 1.20, 1.20.1 fails to install. As 1.20 is fairly recent I doubt this is the problem. The initial install of CWM via Power Boost works, so busybox is installed correctly. An old version of busy box wouldn't explain the not being able to mount /system as as far as I know it isn't used by CWM for this purpose, but I could be wrong. But it could explain the CWM not sticking problem.
7th June 2012, 05:08 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Further investigation shows that the system partition does not change between doing a PowerBoost CWM install and after a reboot meaning that there is nothing screwy going on like the boot sequence over writing files in system so that CWM isn't persistent. Can anyone enlighten me on the boot sequence so I can take a look to see if anything is getting over written?

This of course gets me no closer on why CWM can't mount system but it is just one of two problems.
7th June 2012, 05:28 AM   |  #5  
Flag Greenacres
Thanks Meter: 1,028

848 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Further investigation shows that the system partition does not change between doing a PowerBoost CWM install and after a reboot meaning that there is nothing screwy going on like the boot sequence over writing files in system so that CWM isn't persistent. Can anyone enlighten me on the boot sequence so I can take a look to see if anything is getting over written?

This of course gets me no closer on why CWM can't mount system but it is just one of two problems.

Have you tried "fix permissions" in cwm?.then reboot and see if it still gives you that error when you go back into cwm

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium
7th June 2012, 05:50 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
I'm pretty sure I had already tried all that, but just to be sure I did it all again, here is what happened

PowerBoost CWM install
Reboot into CWM
CWM Fix permissions
CWM recovery restart
CWM backup

Failed due to not being able to mount /system

Power cycled, didn't boot into CWM

Since permissions may have changed once CWM Fix permissions had been run

PowerBoost CWM install
Reboot
Enters CWM
Reboot
Didn't boot into CWM

Surely I'm not the only one seeing this problem?
7th June 2012, 05:55 AM   |  #7  
Flag Greenacres

848 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I had already tried all that, but just to be sure I did it all again, here is what happened

PowerBoost CWM install
Reboot into CWM
CWM Fix permissions
CWM recovery restart
CWM backup

Failed due to not being able to mount /system

Power cycled, didn't boot into CWM

Since permissions may have changed once CWM Fix permissions had been run

PowerBoost CWM install
Reboot
Enters CWM
Reboot
Didn't boot into CWM

Surely I'm not the only one seeing this problem?

Well once u reboot your phone it goes into cwm. When u reboot from cwm its suppose to go into rom not cwm again.

7th June 2012, 05:56 AM   |  #8  
Flag Greenacres

848 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have u tried manually mounting system in cwm and see what happens?

Also what version of busybox do u have installed? . Should be 19.4. Nothing higher.

7th June 2012, 05:58 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisct

Well once u reboot your phone it goes into cwm. When u reboot from cwm its suppose to go into rom not cwm again.

I realise this but I was under the impression that if the phone is power cycled or reboot from Android then it will go into CWM on restart.

Still doesn't explain the inability to mount /system
7th June 2012, 06:06 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisct

Have u tried manually mounting system in cwm and see what happens?

Also what version of busybox do u have installed? . Should be 19.4. Nothing higher.

I'm running BusyBox 1.19.4. I just tried to manually mount /system from CWM, same problem. Just to make sure that mounting works I mounted a few other things that were not already mounted.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread