S 5 Compatible Car Mounts - ProGrip vs Bracketron

OP Berthaconners524

4th June 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

79 posts
More
When my fiance asked me to find him a good mount for his car, I obviously turned to XDA and other forums to find the right one. He and I both have the S5 so I bought 2 different mounts to try and give his one and I took the other. I grabbed the ProGrip Mount off Amazon and also got the Bracketron Mount from Best Buy. One is a more affordable option (7.99) where the other is a high end priced mount at 34.99.

First I tried the Bracketron mount - it was from best buy and is a suction based mount. Overall the mount has a very nice appearance and mounts very sturdily. The part that actually holds the phone is easy to use and gives a nice hold on the phone. The price definitely reflects its quality, as it is made from thick and well molded plastic. This is the mount my fiance ended up taking, since he tends to like more high priced items.

The TechMatte ProGrip was the next mount I tried. I got it from Amazon and it was about a third of the price of the other mount. I kept this one for myself as I liked it because it was more simple and easy to use. It came quickly in the mail and is very good quality mount for such a low price. I have tried others before that were more than this pricewise and did not hold this well. I live around some pretty bad and bumpy roads and it did not shake or rattle.It gives me the same performance as the Bracketron my fiance took.
I recommend both of these mounts for in the car. They both work with a variety of phones and provide strong hold. One is expensive, the other is not. You can be the judge...
4th June 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #2  
Flag Clearwater, Fl.
Thanks Meter: 71

787 posts
Donate to Me
More
Why not this one? http://www.getgripgo.com/

LOL

I ordered an Air Dock, hoping it is as good as they say.
5th June 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylograth

Why not this one? http://www.getgripgo.com/

LOL

I ordered an Air Dock, hoping it is as good as they say.

I've read a lot about the Air Docks. I think they still have another round of revisions before all the kinks are worked out.

Plus, they need competitors to drive performance up. Then I'll consider that.
5th June 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sunset
Thanks Meter: 1,893

1,296 posts
More
Pro-Clip is my favorite, especially if your car dash is not exactly standard. You order by your car's make/model/year. It's actually two parts (car mount and phone holder). I originally got it for a Palm Pre, but as phones got bigger (and I got cheaper) I found that you could take the phone holder off, use a generic phone holder and remount that.
5th June 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramer84015

Pro-Clip is my favorite, especially if your car dash is not exactly standard. You order by your car's make/model/year. It's actually two parts (car mount and phone holder). I originally got it for a Palm Pre, but as phones got bigger (and I got cheaper) I found that you could take the phone holder off, use a generic phone holder and remount that.

That one looks pretty cool, too. I have these ones for now, maybe for the next one I'll see if this looks better than the air dock
8th June 2014, 11:00 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

17 posts
Search iottie xl on amazon. Used it for my Droid 4 and Rezound with no problem at all. Still using it for my S5. Grip is amazing. I'll take a pic later today because it's actually mounted under the thing just past the shifter.
9th June 2014, 05:17 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 428

3,196 posts
Here's the best (and last) car dock you'll ever need - http://www.imagnetmount.com/products...et-mount/?id=2. Yes, the description says it's for a Ipad, meaning the magnet is strong enough to hold a 10" tablet. And no the magnets do not interfere with your phone AT ALL.

The suction cup they use is super strong. I stick mine to my truck dashbaord (kinda rigged surface). Every time I get a new phone I just cut a new piece of metal to line the back of my case. Here's the metal piece in my S5 case. You can stick the phone to it in any direction. It never falls and it onpy takes one hand to attach or remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140607_130809.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	2788318  
9th June 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myKale

Search iottie xl on amazon. Used it for my Droid 4 and Rezound with no problem at all. Still using it for my S5. Grip is amazing. I'll take a pic later today because it's actually mounted under the thing just past the shifter.

I try to avoid the leading brand. They might be good, but I worked for underdog companies before, and I know how awful and suffocating big dogs like iOttie can be. Not saying they're bad, but there are probably many other companies that need buyers too. I buy other things for the same reason that I don't buy iphones. iPhone is a leading name, and it's nice to support the other brands.

Rememeber that 1980's apple commercial, with Apple being the Big Brother to IBM? I believe firmly that there is some dramatic irony with that company.....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
car mount, galaxy s5 car mount, htc (m8) car mount, s4 car mount, s5 car mount
Previous Thread Next Thread