Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

App Idea for any interested developer

Tip us?

Breach
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Default App Idea for any interested developer

Virtual Trackpad Mouse

Connect the Gear 2 / Gear 2 Neo to another device, ie Laptop, Car PC, etc, via bluetooth, so that you can use the watch as a mouse. You can map the home button to the left mouse key and long clicking the button for right mouse key.

I think the smart watch would be a great platform for a wearable mouse.
<-- If you found my comment helpful, please press the [THANKS] button.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Model: SM-N900T) - Rom: ViSiON X N3 KitKat 4.4 NB7 w/Samsung Gear 2 (Model: SM-R380)

Pirateguybrush
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Interesting idea, not sure how practical that would be though. Why not just use a mouse?

highlordkram
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateguybrush View Post
Interesting idea, not sure how practical that would be though. Why not just use a mouse?
I like the idea, and for a laptop it would be great, as I never carry a mouse with mine, as I use a thin laptop sleeve and not a larger case where you can carry other items in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to highlordkram For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ehallq
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I would like it and even to use it as a mouse pointer for my note
Lazy as hell but holding my note in left hand(same as gear) then holding my right hand on the wrist and swiping on gear with my fingers. That would be extremely comfortable!

Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ehallq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Breach
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateguybrush View Post
I am sure there would be several uses for it. Me personally, since I can now turn on my TV and control my Directv box with my watch, it would also be nice to control my music/video server, which uses my TV as a 60" display, from my watch when I want to play/pause a movie, select a new music track, etc.

I also know people with tablets or car pcs in their vehicles, it would be a great interface to control those as well.

It could also be used as a "mouse" for people doing simple laptop to screen presentations.

Saying "Why not just use a mouse?" is like saying, "Why buy a smart watch, why not just use your cellphone?" - I think the answer is clear, we are tech nuts who like shiny new toys and love to tinker around and find more uses for them. If the dev made this app, I'd use it daily.
<-- If you found my comment helpful, please press the [THANKS] button.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Model: SM-N900T) - Rom: ViSiON X N3 KitKat 4.4 NB7 w/Samsung Gear 2 (Model: SM-R380)
The Following User Says Thank You to Breach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rEVOLVE
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
I am sure there would be several uses for it. Me personally, since I can now turn on my TV and control my Directv box with my watch, it would also be nice to control my music/video server, which uses my TV as a 60" display, from my watch when I want to play/pause a movie, select a new music track, etc.

I also know people with tablets or car pcs in their vehicles, it would be a great interface to control those as well.

It could also be used as a "mouse" for people doing simple laptop to screen presentations.

Saying "Why not just use a mouse?" is like saying, "Why buy a smart watch, why not just use your cellphone?" - I think the answer is clear, we are tech nuts who like shiny new toys and love to tinker around and find more uses for them. If the dev made this app, I'd use it daily.
What he said! One of the things I miss from my Pebble was using my watch to pause/unpause my XBMC (I have a gaming/HTPC connected to my 144" projector & screen). That's actually a thing that I would say the physical buttons on the Pebble would do better than the touchscreen, is that I expect it to be more reliable and easy to hit a physical button in the dark without having to look at the watch and focus enough to hit a small touch target. This is also something I noticed when working out and changing music tracks - I could do it without looking on m Pebble because of the buttons while the Gear forces me to slow my pace and focus on the screen so I can touch just the right spot for the music control UI. I often hit the wrong spot and invoke the wrong action with the Gear's small screen.

I use Unified Remote on my Android phone to control my HTPCs though and it's pretty handy. There's a mode of that app that does exactly what OP is asking for, which is give a virtual touchpad and keyboard that controls the PC. If those guys would just port a version to the watch, that would be awesome, although what could be accomplished in duplicating functionality in a much smaller form factor is questionable.

BigDanInTX
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
Virtual Trackpad Mouse

Connect the Gear 2 / Gear 2 Neo to another device, ie Laptop, Car PC, etc, via bluetooth, so that you can use the watch as a mouse. You can map the home button to the left mouse key and long clicking the button for right mouse key.

I think the smart watch would be a great platform for a wearable mouse.
I've found this functionality useful in GMote when watching movies on a pc-connected tv. I'm not sure how much legs something like this would have on a smartwatch though.

21gonza
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wink recovery mode

Gear neo have recovery mode pleas wee what the root

nrseife
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Offline calendar and contacts

Sometimes it would be really nice to be able to access my calendar/appointments and contacts when offline (not connected to my phone).... ideal would be if appointment alarms go off and remind me even when not connected to a phone. The Gear 2 has plenty of processing power and storage to handle such apps.
This would essentially be an important step to for the Gear 2 to become independent of a phone (but the phone/calling functionality). A small organizer on my wrist so to speak.
Other suggestions: a password storage app (encrypted and protected and sync with PC: something like eWallet or "Safe in Cloud"), chess game, world clock with alarms,...
I am sure there are plenty of other ideas.

chuko303
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 399
A laptop Has a built in mouse right at your fingertips kinda of a hassle

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk