Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[VIDEO] Wireless QI Receiver Pad for Samsung Galaxy S5

Tip us?

chrisngrod
Old
(Last edited by chrisngrod; 6th May 2014 at 05:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Video [VIDEO] Wireless QI Receiver Pad for Samsung Galaxy S5

*WARNING*

DO NOT SUBMERGE YOUR SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 WITH THIS WIRELESS RECEIVER PAD INSTALLED. I HAVE TESTED IT AND IT DOES LEAK.

IF YOU DO, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED ABOUT THE POSSIBLE OUTCOME

Water death thread --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2741481

-----------------------

For the Note 3, I purchased about 3 different receiver pads over the course of it's life. Every pad pretty much had it's own set of pros and cons. For the S5, this is the product I started with. If I purchase any other ones, I'll add to this.

Cost: Around $7-$8 shipped

Link: http://goo.gl/JcDc6t (generic search results... if you want the one in this video, just match it up with the pictures... auctions start and end frequently)

Kind of hard these days to film with my daughter around, but it's better than going to work and coming home and hiding in the basement. I do apologize about that.

Overall assessment for you guys is that it does an okay job with charging. Exactly what you'd expect with wireless charging if you're familiar with it. NFC gets a one out of four stars though. Don't expect to enjoy using NFC while using it. If you do get it to work, it's because you really fiddled around a lot with it.
[VIDEO] Samsung Galaxy S5 DEAD due to WATER DAMAGE
...and charging the S5 underwater...

Current Devices: HTC One Max | Note 3 | Galaxy S5 | AT&T iPad Mini | Cricket Moto G

37F Airborne! - Jumpmaster
Cricket Users Forum Owner
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisngrod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chillsen
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Finally a review, thanks. 1A charging is more than decent i'd say. my old HTC wall adapter chargers are 1A anyway.

Obviously everyone should assume water resistance is void with 3rd party qi receivers. I personally don't use NFC for any reason so there is no downside for me. but yea, i think that's about it, i just wanted to see it actually working and i appreciate it. very straight fwd. cheers.

chrisngrod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsen View Post
Finally a review, thanks. 1A charging is more than decent i'd say. my old HTC wall adapter chargers are 1A anyway.

Obviously everyone should assume water resistance is void with 3rd party qi receivers. I personally don't use NFC for any reason so there is no downside for me. but yea, i think that's about it, i just wanted to see it actually working and i appreciate it. very straight fwd. cheers.
Welcome.... I agree. I should add a blurb about the IP67 cert and the effects of the QI receiver.

Current Devices: HTC One Max | Note 3 | Galaxy S5 | AT&T iPad Mini | Cricket Moto G

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 832
I treat my phone normally, haven't had a phone with ip certification until this S5, and never had a phone that went swimming from my very first phone, so I don't care about the ip67.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

mikeeey
Old
Thanks Meter 15
What would happen if you had the phone plugged in charging and you set it on the wireless charger?

enfurno
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Zombie apocalypse

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Seriously I don't know, just talking ****.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thomasba
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeey View Post
What would happen if you had the phone plugged in charging and you set it on the wireless charger?
That's a good question actually because if you have the phone hooked up to do data transfer and placed it on the wireless base then you would have the same scenario. There must be some intelligence in the phone to either cope with a charge from two locations or to disable one if two are present.
Transformer Prime TF201
Version - 4.2.1
GPS - V7.9.11
WiFi - V7.1.1.50
BT - V11.38
Camera - TF201-009900
Kernel - Hunds 3.1.10
Build Androwook HB v2.31

Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F)
4.42 "have a break have a Kitkat"

chrisngrod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasba View Post
That's a good question actually because if you have the phone hooked up to do data transfer and placed it on the wireless base then you would have the same scenario. There must be some intelligence in the phone to either cope with a charge from two locations or to disable one if two are present.
I'll try this sometime this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsen View Post

I would use NFC if more people took ISIS payments. Most of the time they don't. If they have an NFC compatible POS it's either shut off or not allowed.

I think it has to average out to 640mA. From what I've read the kernel doesn't allow for higher current. Then again according to this app it was charging about 1% a minute which was the same as the charger...

yoonus
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
Welcome.... I agree. I should add a blurb about the IP67 cert and the effects of the QI receiver.
How is water resistance comprimised with the Qi receiver? Does the receiver stay inside the sealing of existing cover?

chrisngrod
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoonus View Post
How is water resistance comprimised with the Qi receiver? Does the receiver stay inside the sealing of existing cover?
Well I think in my blurb I noted that it is not recommended to submerge the phone afterwards. I would imagine that officially any company that says it doesn't effect it would have to get the whole system re certified.

It is within the boundaries of the seal. Who's going to be brave enough to submerge for 5 minutes and see if any water seeps in? Don't volunteer me please. I might do a 2 second plunge and keep on going from there... 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 60 seconds and 2 min.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisngrod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
galaxy s5, qi charger, qi receiver, wireless charging