Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,988 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Real-time transcoding for DLNA?

Tip us?

CrashBandicootX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Real-time transcoding for DLNA?

Hello, this problem has been bugging me for a loong time, since my first android phone.
When I first had my HTC Hero, I found about android's DLNA capabilities and it was pretty
amazing that I could stream music and pictures to my tv, even videos in some rare occasions but
actual on-the-fly transcoding was completely impossible. Now skip ahead to my third phone, ZTE Blade III.

1Ghz and 512mb ram is quite good for what I need and I was hoping that it could transcode some poor-quality
videos I film with my phone. Why? Well, my TV has pretty small range of supported video formats and of course
that my phone records video in the unsupported format. I tried a wide varety of DLNA apps and none of them
had anything to do with transcoding. I tried twonky, skifta, bubbleupnp... No result.

Why is this so taboo? I understand if the file is in full HD but Blade III records in VGA. It shouldn't be a problem
to transcode or am I mistaken?

tl;dr need app that can transcode files in real time and send them to my tv (something like wmp but on android)
If you have a solution or idea, please share it with me and everybody else here

CrashBandicootX
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Upgraded from blade iii to optimus l7 ii and now bumping the thread.

chriswyatt
Old
(Last edited by chriswyatt; 11th June 2014 at 03:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I know what you mean, I've had no luck getting Twonky to do transcoding, I can't find any documentation anywhere! It's driving me nuts!

I've had the most luck with PS3 Media Server. Don't be fooled by the name, it doesn't just work with PS3. It can use FFMPEG, MEncoder and VLC as transcoders, and supports realtime muxing with tsmuxer. If one of the transcoders does not play ball (for example VLC is better with corrupt files than the others from experience), there is a good chance the others will. It also supports burning in subtitles which I find really useful as I like watching foreign films. You can select which transcoder you want to use from the client itself, which is really handy!
Tags
dlna, streaming, transcoding, video, wireless