Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Knox on rooted phone

OP dbell525

11th June 2014, 10:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
My company allows for a work email app to be used on my personal phone only if it isn't rooted. I don't use it for that reason. I have recently updated to a rooted NC5. Should I be able to use Knox to allow secure use for my company info and still get the benefits of being rooted on the personal side? Am i understanding the functionality of Knox correctly?
11th June 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #2  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 321

1,077 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell525

My company allows for a work email app to be used on my personal phone only if it isn't rooted. I don't use it for that reason. I have recently updated to a rooted NC5. Should I be able to use Knox to allow secure use for my company info and still get the benefits of being rooted on the personal side? Am i understanding the functionality of Knox correctly?

You are misunderstanding.
If you want to use your phone for work email that keeps their stuff separate, checkout TouchDown.
http://www.nitrodesk.com/androidplatform.html

It's what I have been using for years.
My employers like/liked it because it is separate.
I like it because they an wipe the mail and leave my home alone.
11th June 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
The app we use is not my option. Reason for my question is I think they should be able to eliminate the requirement for phone to not be rooted if Knox would allow the company data to be kept separate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
12th June 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,579

1,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell525

Gotta love how Samsung has confused everything by calling it all "Knox".

OK, what you're asking about is the Knox Secure Container service.
You should be able to use that even if rooted as long as you haven't tripped the Knox Warranty Void flag by trying to flash a custom kernel.

I think you can still use it even if the phone has the Knox SEAndroid enforcement disabled (which is what gets turned off when you allow SuperSU to "disable Knox".) The container service is separate. However, there's a chance that the container service will fail if the enforcement service is disabled. You can turn that enforcement service back on, but it's going to be a pain to be rooted while that keeps killing off rooted processes.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread