Post Reply

Atrix won't boot - even with factory cable

2nd March 2013, 07:39 PM   |  #1  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
I have a Motorola Atrix 4G on Bell Mobility. Currently the phone will not boot at all. The phone is out of warranty.

When this started I began by searching through the xda forums and found several similar problems. Most pointed to the sleep-of-death or a charging adapter problem. I have tried charging with the Motorola adapter that came with the phone, a USB cable and the Motorola Lapdock. None of these have provided any happy. Each time I tried, I left the phone overnight, when I checked on it, the phone and battery were cold. I tested a known-working battery from another Atrix and the phone would still not boot.

Some other searches point to a factory cable. I bought one on Ebay however the phone will not boot. I tested the cable on a known-working Atrix and it works fine. I did notice that when I plug the factory cable in to my phone and in to my Windows 7 PC, it detects *something*. Under device manager I see an unknown device called "APX". So far Google and xda searches haven't been able to provide me with a correct answer.

When I plug in the regular USB cable the green LED turns on for a while, if I touch the power button, the green LED goes out. RSD Lite does not detect anything, I assume this is because the phone is not in RSD mode.

I have tried combinations of volume buttons/power button as well, both with the wall charger and with the factory cable. Nothing displays on the screen at all no matter what I've tried. The phone had the stock install from Bell however was rooted with SuperOneClick (obtained from xda forums and installed many months ago) and had no third-party apps on it.

This death seemed to start slowly, at first battery life was at times terrible, then it moved on to not wanting to power on for a while if the battery died or the phone was turned off when the battery was low. Removing/re-inserting the battery several times typically helped. Eventually the phone got so bad, when it booted it would just crash repeatedly with a message about motorola.home.something (sorry I don't remember exactly what). Hitting force close would just bring the message back up again. I left the phone off overnight and the next morning, R.I.P. my Atrix

I have access to Windows XP or 7 as well as Linux.

Any help would be appreciated. Also I apologize for the long-winded post, I'm trying to provide as much information as I can.
5th March 2013, 09:51 AM   |  #2  
Xerox98's Avatar
Member
Flag Streaky Bay
Thanks Meter: 42
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
I had this problem to, I freaked out, what I needed to do was to get another Atrix (in this case my Uncles) and make sure that the battery in it is FULLY CHARGED, then I took out my battery (in the broken phone) and put in his, then I got a solid green LED, then I had to leave it on the charger overnight, after that the M would show, but that was it, so I then went into fastboot and flashed the ICS Leak, and ta-da.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xerox98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2013, 02:57 PM   |  #3  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerox98

I had this problem to, I freaked out, what I needed to do was to get another Atrix (in this case my Uncles) and make sure that the battery in it is FULLY CHARGED, then I took out my battery (in the broken phone) and put in his, then I got a solid green LED, then I had to leave it on the charger overnight, after that the M would show, but that was it, so I then went into fastboot and flashed the ICS Leak, and ta-da.

I had tried that before, but I can't remember if I had charged the battery full. I'll give it a shot today, thanks!
6th March 2013, 06:17 PM   |  #4  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbruce

I had tried that before, but I can't remember if I had charged the battery full. I'll give it a shot today, thanks!

I've tried that with no luck. I should also note that the factory cable bypasses the battery, potentially eliminating any battery problems.
6th March 2013, 11:24 PM   |  #5  
barry_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag St Asaph
Thanks Meter: 70
 
263 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
It's possible that your phone is finished. The 'motorola.home' error is usually caused by something you've updated (google search?) but I would doubt that it would cause your phone to not even start up.
At this point, I might be inclined to open the phone up (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motor...eardown/4964/1) and see if you can see anything obvious?
The Following User Says Thank You to barry_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2013, 10:58 PM   |  #6  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry_

It's possible that your phone is finished. The 'motorola.home' error is usually caused by something you've updated (google search?) but I would doubt that it would cause your phone to not even start up.
At this point, I might be inclined to open the phone up <url removed so I could reply> and see if you can see anything obvious?

I will check that out tonight and report back, thanks!
9th March 2013, 05:22 PM   |  #7  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbruce

I will check that out tonight and report back, thanks!

Nothing obvious when I took it apart, no visible damage or problems. Any other thoughts? I've been told to try ADB from a Linux box and see if it will do anything. I've started installing ADB but looking for more insight.
Last edited by jonbruce; 9th March 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Expanded first sentence
9th March 2013, 07:08 PM   |  #8  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbruce

Nothing obvious when I took it apart, no visible damage or problems. Any other thoughts? I've been told to try ADB from a Linux box and see if it will do anything. I've started installing ADB but looking for more insight.

Update. I found this ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=75 and now instead of "APX" in Windows device manager, I have "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices".

It looks like NVFlash might be something I need next. In other news, the phone when plugged in via the factory cable, is actually very slightly warm. It's the first new sign of life I've seen in this thing for a few days.
Last edited by jonbruce; 9th March 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
13th March 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #9  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbruce

Update. I found this ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=75 and now instead of "APX" in Windows device manager, I have "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices".

It looks like NVFlash might be something I need next. In other news, the phone when plugged in via the factory cable, is actually very slightly warm. It's the first new sign of life I've seen in this thing for a few days.

I've had no luck at all since my last reply. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1046994 seems to have something to do with my problem, but I'm not able to dig up a solid answer. As best as I can tell, I manged to hard brick the thing and I'm up the creek without a required paddle.

Any other thoughts on this would be great. Even if I'm able to ensure the device is wiped, I could send it in. There are work files on there (I know, I know, I'm an idiot) I can't have out in the wild.
14th March 2013, 11:18 PM   |  #10  
jonbruce's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Barrie
Thanks Meter: 3
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Just bought a replacement Atrix for $100. It included three cases, three batteries, wall charger with cable, car dock and a metric ass-load of screen protectors.

I do want to thank everyone for offering help and ideas, it was a good learning experience!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes