Please take all questions/discussion to the d2_vzw thread HERE because it is the only one I'll monitor!
Thanks to the work of invisiblek and some Google searching I was able to come up with the following tool:
This tool takes a 720x1280 .PNG image and converts it to a recovery-flashable splash screen in a single click.
A video so you can see what this changes: http://youtu.be/XXaBJTVQ2Sw
How to use:
Making your own splash screen:
0) Download and extract the .zip file
1) Make a 720x1280 .png image you want to be your splash screen (this comes in-between the boot animation and the quick Samsung logo flash)
2) Name it "initlogo.png" without the quotes
3) Place it in the PNGtoConvert folder
4) Run the "PNG-2-RLE.bat" file
5) You are finished! A "flashthisinrecovery.zip" will appear in the same directory as the batch files. Just flash it in recovery and enjoy your new splash screen!
Note: If you want the .RLE and not the whole flashable, it can be found as "initlogo.rle" in the "kernel" folder or you can pull it from the kernel folder inside the "flashmeinrecovery.zip"
Converting an .RLE that you made back to a .PNG for editing:
0) Download an extract the .zip file
1) Copy the "initlogo.rle" you want to convert to a .PNG to the RLEtoConvert folder. It must be named "initlogo.rle"
2) Run the "RLE-2-PNG.bat"
3) PNG will be in the PNGtoConvert folder named "initlogoOUTPUT.png"
I have included the stock initlogo as a .PNG named "initlogoSTOCKBACKUP.png" for your reference/backup purposes. If you want to test the tool with it, remember to rename it to initlogo.png
If you flash a new kernel/rom the splash will revert to stock. To get it back, just flash the "flashmeinrecovery.zip" again. You don't need to reconvert it or anything.
This has only been tested with the d2_vzw but will work with all USA (S4 CPU) variants!
invisiblek for the recovery zip scripting
Yagya Gaire @ http://yagyagaire.blogspot.com for the original conversion tools
Download Here: http://d-h.st/F2A
As always, even though this tool has been tested, nobody is responsible to damage to your phone except yourself!