Ask a question

No registration required

WiFi disconnecting issue

OP GitterDunn

18th October 2013, 06:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

26 posts
Well this is weird, my new note is now disconnecting from my WiFi router after a short period of inactivity. This just started a couple days ago (just before this new 2nd firmware update). I'm not sure how long it takes to happen, but it's somewhere close to an hour. When I find my tablet disconnected, the notifications tell me that there are networks available in one notification and that my crudentials timed out in another. It will not automatically reconnect to my router either, so I have to go and reconnect to it manually each time...and it's a pain in the yang.

The odd thing is, it remembers the WiFi password, so it's not like it completely dumped the settings. So in theory, it should reconnect automatically since it still remembers the network and password.

It could just be my router, but my SIII and my laptop have never had this issue. I checked the settings to see if I was in power save mode or anything...but I'm not.

Any suggestions appreciated.
19th October 2013, 05:05 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Well, I have tried restarting the tablet and the router...both to no avail.

This is getting frusterating now. I simply watched an epsiode of the Walking Dead and it killed my connection while doing that...WTF? It also did it later while my tablet was downloading a bunch of updates, so a few of those updates didn't download because the connection died after a while.

Why would it do this even when the tablet and the connection are active?
19th October 2013, 07:47 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

50 posts
I am having the same issue, but it isn't my Note dropping the connection, it is my router rebooting.

Next time it happens, log into your router and check on the router uptime to see if it just reset.

What router do you have?
Mine is a D-Link DIR-655
19th October 2013, 08:24 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qzic

I am having the same issue, but it isn't my Note dropping the connection, it is my router rebooting.

Next time it happens, log into your router and check on the router uptime to see if it just reset.

What router do you have?
Mine is a D-Link DIR-655

I have the same router, but it's not doing what yours is doing (my uptime has been for over a week it says). But that does make me wonder if it is still an issue with the router...

I have been searching and some of the other samsung devices that had issues and some of them (that didn't require root) were fixed by setting the DHCP release time to 2 days (instead of holding it forever) and/or setting the ip to a static one on their phones. I plan on trying this next and letting you all know how it goes.
19th October 2013, 10:53 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Yay! So the fix was to set a static IP on my tablet...that's it. My router was already set to release DHCP every 24 hours, so I didn't change any settings there. Before I did this, my connection was dropping about every 15 minutes. After setting the static IP, I let it sit for an hour and it's still holding strong.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GitterDunn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th October 2013, 08:00 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

50 posts
Did you set a static IP directly on the tablet, or did you set a reserved IP on the router?
22nd October 2013, 09:22 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qzic

Did you set a static IP directly on the tablet, or did you set a reserved IP on the router?

I set the static IP directly on the tablet and I have not had an issue since doing this.
23rd October 2013, 04:11 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Maybe you can restore your tablet to solve this problem.
23rd October 2013, 03:19 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 9

234 posts
does it happen on other wireless networks? what security are you using? wep/wpa?

try changing the security to see if that helps. odd that a static ip fixes it. its almost like it loses its ip configuration.

when your tablet looses network, are you actively using it, or was it in sleep mode?
24th October 2013, 10:26 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john10101

does it happen on other wireless networks? what security are you using? wep/wpa?

try changing the security to see if that helps. odd that a static ip fixes it. its almost like it loses its ip configuration.

when your tablet looses network, are you actively using it, or was it in sleep mode?

The tablet would lose connection while actively using it...it was weird.

What's even weirder is that I have NOT set other WiFi connections to static IPs like I had to do with my D-Link router, yet the connections with those other routers have remained steady while in default DHCP modes. I have no idea why this would be the case (it doesn't make sense).

Like I said earlier, my router does not have very much in the way of special settings...just WPA 2, N-only mode, and a DHCP IP release after 24 hours of inactivity are the only options I enforced. Looking at my router logs, it definitely sees my tablet and updates the release time each time I use the tablet...but I don't see anything in the logs when the tablet suddenly disconnects from the router. So I have no idea if it's the router or the tablet. lol

I have not tried another security setting, but I don't want to lessen my security in this environment. Beseides, I know at least one othe router that I connect to is using WPA2 also.

I can live with this work-around as long as I don't have to force a static IP on every other router I connect to.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread