OP jpk17

8th November 2012, 06:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hoffman Estates
Thanks Meter: 15

21 posts
More
Hello all,

Long time lurker, just wanted to share an issue I had.

I've flashed nearly every ROM that is out there since I got my SGS3 and have never had any GPS issues, however this weekend I used it without a problem but Tuesday all of a sudden turning it on and off still produced nothing...not even the increased battery drain from having GPS on.

Here's what I did in hopes that it can help someone or at least give some knowledge as there wasn't a lot out there when I searched:

1.) Restored a previous Nandroid that I knew had a working GPS --- Result = FAIL
2.) Searched XDA and Google...found a video with some USSD codes for the dialer, etc.. ---- Result = FAIL
3.) Pulled battery and sim card, etc... --- Result = FAIL
4.) Flashed Wicked as I know that is a stable and highly used ROM. Everything great but still no GPS. ---- Result = FAIL
5.) Found a suggestion about clearing cache in google framework, Maps and uninstalling Maps updates. Result = FAIL
**however Play Store wouldn't let me update Maps when I rebooted as it said it wasn't compatible with my phone. No clue why.

6.) Finally I decided to do Triangle Away and Chainfires unrooting procedure to get back to unrooted stock. ---Result = SUCCESS!

Not sure what about it made GPS come back, however the next step will of course be to root again and see if there are any issues.

Hope this helps someone who ends up in my situation. Feel free to PM if you need more details.

Thanks to all

Edit: Just as an FYI -- when I rooted again, GPS was still back and I've had no issues since.
Last edited by jpk17; 12th November 2012 at 06:36 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jpk17 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2012, 07:38 PM   |  #2  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 25

771 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks man, I like threads like these because you never know when you may need them. Same issue for me. On CM10 ROMs,I have trouble locking onto GPS, and the fix for me has been downloading GPS test and running that before using something like navigation.it's a minor inconvenience but it works great
8th November 2012, 07:46 PM   |  #3  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 3,129

6,929 posts
Donate to Me
More
Overall, if you have something borked, no matter what rom you use... no matter how many times you wipe... odin back to stock, should fix it always.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2012, 08:02 PM   |  #4  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 25

771 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3g

Overall, if you have something borked, no matter what rom you use... no matter how many times you wipe... odin back to stock, should fix it always.

True, but honestly, that doesn't always work. I have a second SGS3 Pebble Blue 32GB, and it won't play nice with Lean Kernel/Ktoonz, unless it's the touchwiz based kernels, whereas my white 16GB runs all of them flawlessly. They were rooted and booted the same way, and they both have the same GPS issue.

Out of curiosity, what's the chainfire way of going back to stock?

Also, do we have any guides here/on youtube that detail how to odin back to stock. I'm gonna give it a go on the blue one again/cross my fingers hoping I made a mistake, hence why I want a guide lol! *Searches*
8th November 2012, 08:55 PM   |  #5  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 37

488 posts
More
Thumbs up
thanks for the info jpk17!
saved us a lot of time here for whoever has that issue in the future.

can you provide the link to Chainfire's unroot procedure?

thanks!
8th November 2012, 09:03 PM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 195

873 posts
Good to know but youcould have got straight to the point rather than writting five pages of useless stuff then saying something that to be honest is not any special invention anyways.
8th November 2012, 10:28 PM   |  #7  
Flag Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Meter: 106

1,061 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarat

Good to know but youcould have got straight to the point rather than writting five pages of useless stuff then saying something that to be honest is not any special invention anyways.

Kind of a dick huh? He was just explaining what he did. Geeze.

Sent from my SGS3 Stock Rooted & Odexed
I love this thing!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jjlean For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2012, 11:14 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 28

228 posts
More
The only time my gps was ever messed up was when i used a sprint leak JB rom and had the gps turned off. Flashed a couple roms after no gps whatsoever. Odin'ed with 2 or 3 different versions and still couldnt get the gps back.

Finally I flashed another JB rom based on the sprint leak and turned GPS back on and everything started working again. Lesson learned on using sprint leaks lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benjimatt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2012, 07:01 AM   |  #9  
Flag Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 128

308 posts
More
Had op's problem myself before, and full wiping and Odin'ing back to stock actually didn't work.. what did work though was after full unroot, doing tmo ota update.

Who knows, this info could help someone out as well..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
9th November 2012, 01:29 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hoffman Estates
Thanks Meter: 15

21 posts
More
Unroot Procedure Used
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG!

thanks for the info jpk17!
saved us a lot of time here for whoever has that issue in the future.

can you provide the link to Chainfire's unroot procedure?

thanks!

Here is the procedure I followed to unroot...followed step by step and couldn't have been easier to follow:

I can't post links as I don't have over 10 posts yet, but should be able to figure it out from this:

www . androidrootz . com

Copy the next line after the .com and you'll get to the page.

/2012/10/how-to-unroot-samsung-galaxy-s3-at.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpk17 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread